The Simpsons - On the Big Screen

On_Call

I have to say, I was a bit skeptical after reading a critic's take on the big screen version of the Simpsons, but the munchkins really, really wanted to see it. I have to say that it was really funny. Several times, I laughed out loud, but I have loved the show since it began all those years ago. I know it's not for everyone, but I like it.

There were a few curse words in it - not a movie just for kids, but it was enjoyable. difficult child said it was the "best, inappropriate movie" he'd ever seen. I asked him what he thought was inappropriate and he quoted Marge's one curse word of the whole flick.

All in all, nothing too shocking - but entertaining, anyway.

Anyone else see it??

Marguerite

OK, WHAT curse word? Begin with D? easy child 2/difficult child 2 & BF2 saw it last night. BF2 thought it was mis-rated because there were a number of little things that added up.

She did say that husband & I should see it before it gets off the big screen, but I'm not sure how or when. She said it's like an episode scaled up to movie-sized in a GOOD way - movie-outrageous instead of just special-episode-outrageous.

Reviewers are always coming at things from a different direction. We have one reviewer over here in Sydney - every time we see him say he hates a movie, we know we'll love it. And his favourite film seems to be "The Draughtsman's Contract" - I've tried to watch it twice and STILL don't get it. Beautifully filmed, like a series of Gainsborough stills - and not much else to it, really.

by the way, on the subject of curse words - we got sent a list of almost-words with made-up meanings. I liked "reintarnation" - coming back to life as a hillbilly.
And "Dopeler effect" - the tendency for stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Marg

smallworld

We saw the movie this afternoon, and we all loved it. J is such a big fan of the TV show -- he watches it every afternoon without fail -- that he wants to go see the movie again. I don't know that I'd go that far, but it was fun the first time around.

K

Kjs

This is on at the Outdoor Theatre. We are planning on going tonight. My easy child was into that big time. Has so many Simpson items. Has changed his tune and now into Family Guy. But he is 24. difficult child just likes everything easy child likes. I think it will be a funny movie. Can't wait.

On_Call

At one point, Marge yells out "Somebody throw the God-D*&% bomb!". That was the part our difficult child deemed inappropriate.

husband and I spotted a 2-second scene where Otto the bus driver is smoking from a water-filled you-know-what that we didn't think the kids ought to have seen, but that went right over their heads. They just laughed at the fact that Otto had no idea that chaos was everywhere. You know - he was having one of his "What's going on, Man?" moments.

There is also a 5-second Bart full-frontal nudie scene. If you can call a cartoon full frontal a "nudie scene". We didn't think it was too shocking - in fact if you had looked away to get your drink, you'd have missed it. The really funny part was that they managed to hide his assets very cleverly for a 2-minute run (behind a leaf, behind a french fry, etc.) and then for 5 seconds - whoops - you got to see it all.

We hardly ever pay full price for a movie that we all enjoy - but this was one of them. So glad we went.

Marguerite

Oh, Jamie, I had to laugh.
"At one point, Marge yells out "Somebody throw the God-D*&% bomb!". That was the part our difficult child deemed inappropriate."

When you first mentioned it I thought you meant me, because I know my Aussie slang is very colourful at times. But that's one word I won't use. Maybe the last four letters, because that's no big deal in Australia, but together - just not in use here. But then, we have so many other words in common use here which would really push the rating up in the US.

And some people on this site call me Marge, which I'm not. Neither is my hair curly (I wish!), or blue.

It does sound like fun - easy child 2/difficult child 2 mentioned THAT Bart scene but wouldn't tell me anything more because she didn't want to spoilt it for me.

Kjs, our kids are into "Family Guy" as well. It's on late here, about 10.30 pm, but easy child already has all the DVDs and (of course) difficult child 3 has already memorised them.

Marg

On_Call

Oh gosh, Marg, sorry about that! Never before had I pictured you with a 4-foot, blue bee-hive do!! :rofl:

Yes, that combination of words is not used in our house, either - probably why difficult child deemed it inappropriate. I guess I should be glad he noticed she said it - and didn't appreciate it. Hee hee.

I guess I should also be glad that her quote was the worst thing they put in the movie, right?? :laugh: