The View

Nancy

I know I talked about this before but I was watching The View this morning and again noticed how Barbara Walters seems to have an attitude of superiority that drive sme nuts. She rolled her eyes at Whoopie after she completely changed the topic of discussionand Whoopie made a slight comment like "oh we're on that topic now." If looks could kill. And then they were talking about Michelle Obama being on the show and the causes that the first ladies have had over the years and Elizabeth said somehting about how she thinks it's hard being the "first mom" in the white house and Barbara kept arguing with her that she was not the first mom, there had been others and they kept trying to tell Barabara they meant "first mom" as in "first lady", not the first but the title. Barabra never got it.

Nancy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I liked the show during the first season. It got old quickly though. I've only caught one every once in a great while.

Barbara just plain needs to retire. in my opinion And I remember seeing that attitude from her in the first season too. It's not always clearly evident......but it does rear it's ugly head.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Never really cared for the show, but when I was laid up I did take it in a few times. I cannot stand Elisabeth at all. Whoopie just drives me absolutely nuts. I like Joy and that other lady - they are funny and fresh, make me laugh.

I agree it's time for Barbara to hang it up. Do guest appearances or something. Go sell lemonade. She's contributed so much to the world of journalism over the course of her life, she was fabulous in her time...blah blah blah

I can't understand why any of those women would want to sit around a coffee klatch about other people.

lovemysons

Ditto Nancy,
I too believe Barbara has a superiority complex! All the compliments for excellent work seemed to have really gone to her head!

LMS

muttmeister

I love the show. Yes, Barbara does have a superiority complex but given her past, maybe she deserves it.
One of the things I like about the show is that you get views from different ages and different beliefs.
Barbara is the oldest and most uptight of them all but that does add something. I love Whoopie; she usually says exactly what I'm thinking. I've always liked Joy but it seems to me she's become a little too strident lately. I hated Elizabeth when she first came on, partially because her politics is the exact opposite of mine and partly because she said so many stupid things but she's grown on me and I think she's mellowed over the years. She's much more able to be fair than she used to be, even though I still don't agree with her most of the time. The new one is funny; when she started out I thought I wasn't going to like her but she's grown on me too.
For me, the show works. Barbara isn't on every day; if she were I might not enjoy her as much but as the "elder states(wo)man, I think she adds another point of view, which is, after all, the point of the show.

Nancy

I agree Barbara is the elder statesman and is probably entitled to some of that attitude. After all she started the show, and she takes every opportunity to remind everyone of that fact. I love her on her specials, she just irritates me at times. I have noticed Elizabeth has mellowed lately and I'm grateful for that.

Nancy

Star*

call 911........call 911
I liked what Mutt said - because if we (meaning the BOARD) all had the same VIEW - what a boring bit of advice our own little world would be. AND Nancy I do agree with your observations as well; however (and this has been just within the last few years for reasons that I'll share) I'm now "an older woman" and things that I think NOW? About younger women? Have come out in those slap my hand over my own mouth attitudes that I NEVER, EVER thought I would hear out of my own mouth, BUT having blazed a trail, or lived "the life" Do even "I" get an attitude about some things? YOU BETCHA. Do I deserve to get an attitude? (twists mouth up, shrugs) Meh - I don't know - with my own kids and family? Certainly sometimes. With others here? (really draws face lol) Ohhhh (exhale) I guess I remember when I first came here and needed help and I don't think anyone pulled any punches with me - and I appreciated that because during the roughest times? I could picture each and every one of you standing behind me giving me the old 'stink eye' about WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT?

In her own way? I guess maybe when you live as long as BW and do the things that she's done, and blaze the trails that she has for women in journalism? She's entitled to a few winks of stink eye.....and chalks it up to professional wisdom, and not attitude per se. But is it? Yeah - probably so - and I think if you were her friend? You'd say "Barbara - KNOCK it off....." We just have that luxury here of great friends that she probably doesn't have. She may have more money - but I have classier and better friends. Life is a give and take. - I wouldn't give anything for the friends I have here to take her money, job or righteous attitude.