therapeutic programs or curriculum?

InsaneCdn

anyway I am finding it difficult coming up with all thsi on my own. I am good at coming up with little modificiations/supports/accomodations for the IEP but a whole program? Eh not so good at it so far

cfa3:

Why don't you start splitting out into separate threads, a couple at time, specific issues that you're trying to find IEP solutions for? Because... for example, no matter what the diagnosis, if you have "writing" problems... there's a range of good ideas... if you need a "time-out/calming space", others have tried lots of things... etc.

I might not Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified specific stuff, nor sensory, but... lots of us have had to get really creative. Plus, we have some "bored" board members who love to go surfing for ideas, too... (no names LOL).

Last edited:

cfa3

I am Clara by the way lol, does it say kimmie on my posts? oops.

Yes good suggestion but I kind of already tried that, my original post asks about interventions for not understanding another childs point of view and all the misperceptions that create these peer problems, but maybe I was too broad and spread out. I will try that, I will have to organize my thoughts better and split my concerns into categories. Do you suggest placing the posts in this Special Education section of the forum? I imagine so since it is all about school issues. Thank you for the advice!!!

buddy

I guess if you only want IEP ideas, then yeah you can do sp ed forum. I do that if it is specifically a Special Education question but if it goes into any other part of our life, then I tend to use general because more people with awesome ideas seem to look there, and others, like I do, just click on "new posts" and see whatever posts are new that day. If your goal is to get ideas for parenting which could then transition to ideas to put in the IEP then you may want to try general.

buddy

Clara, sure sounds like your son is very very lucky to have you. Our kids have very similar issues. it is super frustrating that they just can't supply what they need. I will say this.... for us (will be a shock to some here to hear me say this) middle school has been so much better than elementary. by that age there is not as much of a panic over some of the smaller inappropriate behaviors because many in middle school do those. This year for us has stunk in some ways but overall... way better than elementary.

So, will be looking forward to your lines of thought.... (I think you and Kimmie have been posting at similar times so just got a little confused)

Malika

Hi Clara. Hope you don't mind my "butting in"... I don't have anything concretely useful to add, being so far removed from the US system and not having begun to tackle these school issues yet, but I just wanted to say that some - not all but some - of what you say about your boy reminded me of my son. He is also not classically autistic and yet shares some of the traits, I think. He doesn't have the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) or black and white thinking, for example, but there are social situations he just does not "get". Is constantly crossing boundaries that his peers have long since assimilated and respect... is a bit like a bull in a china shop often. Will run into people's houses or property with absolutely no sense that he should not do that, shouts out rude things about people (well, not often, but occasionally) that seem typical of a much younger child. Is also very sensitive and highly emotional, as you describe (though perhaps less clearly anxious). Gets on well enough with children and knows how to play and share but there are always a higher level of quarrels and difficulties around him than there are around other children. I don't think he really understands that he has to show an interest in others - he just tries to "fascinate and compel" others with his dazzling personality...
Could not all of this be covered by a diagnosis of Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)? My son doesn't have any diagnosis yet (though frankly he is to me like a textbook ADHD, at least) though I have wondered if he fits the criteria for Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD).
Anyway, like I say, I'm sorry this is not of specific help to you other than to know that other kids also don't seem to fit the specific box of autism and yet... something is not right socially, there is some skills they just don't have that allow them to fit seamlessly into life.

cfa3

Hi Clara. Hope you don't mind my "butting in"... I don't have anything concretely useful to add, being so far removed from the US system and not having begun to tackle these school issues yet, but I just wanted to say that some - not all but some - of what you say about your boy reminded me of my son. He is also not classically autistic and yet shares some of the traits, I think. He doesn't have the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) or black and white thinking, for example, but there are social situations he just does not "get". Is constantly crossing boundaries that his peers have long since assimilated and respect... is a bit like a bull in a china shop often. Will run into people's houses or property with absolutely no sense that he should not do that, shouts out rude things about people (well, not often, but occasionally) that seem typical of a much younger child. Is also very sensitive and highly emotional, as you describe (though perhaps less clearly anxious). Gets on well enough with children and knows how to play and share but there are always a higher level of quarrels and difficulties around him than there are around other children. I don't think he really understands that he has to show an interest in others - he just tries to "fascinate and compel" others with his dazzling personality...
Could not all of this be covered by a diagnosis of Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)? My son doesn't have any diagnosis yet (though frankly he is to me like a textbook ADHD, at least) though I have wondered if he fits the criteria for Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD).
Anyway, like I say, I'm sorry this is not of specific help to you other than to know that other kids also don't seem to fit the specific box of autism and yet... something is not right socially, there is some skills they just don't have that allow them to fit seamlessly into life.

Malika:

Thank you so much for your post, just sharing with other people is such a relief. It is frustrating to not fit in anywhere. People are always wanting to just pigeonhole my son and he is not getting what he needs because of this. Something I did that was helpful - although ironic because I dont much subscribe to rigid classifications - is I printed out the "DSM" criteria ( do you have that in france? Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) for every one of the PDDs: autism, aspergers, and Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) not otherwise specified. That gave me a little clarity. Somethign else though is that your son is very young! Honestly it took until 8 or 9 before I could begin to have a more clear picture of who he is. It sounds like your sons issue could be covered by Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) not otherwise specified. I would read any description of autism you can easily find by googling and see what your gut tells you. But I would keep in mind he is young still.