This and that

Wiped Out

Staff member
difficult child came home today from his two days away at respite. He had a good time and came back with a huge smile on his face. He said he had a good time, but, of course, later said he didn't because he doesn't want to go back.

He is still doing well on the violence end of things. We are on day 16 of no violence. He is also doing well on cutting way down on his swearing. He doesn't like having to do chores every time he swears or his disrespectful so he is really working on it. I'm not getting as many chores done by him lately;) difficult child is smiling and laughing more, not staying angry as long, still extremely impulsive and easily angered. Today he held the door open for me-something he rarely does!

We had his psychiatrist appointment today. It's the first one in a long, long time that we had so much good news to share. We did note that he seems mighty anxious right now about starting middle school. He started to act out right when we started talking about it. Last week when we met his teachers he was rude and obnoxious at times. We also mentioned that we are still concerned with difficult child's speech-many people people are having a hard time understanding him.

Sooo, outcome of psychiatrist appointment. He wants us to work at decreasing some of his Loxapine but feels if we do this we need to up the Lamictal to 600 mgs because he could see that difficult child is doing well but just watching him felt it is what would be needed.

I know decreasing the Loxapine is needed due to his tiredness and speech. I worry though as it is the one medication that we increased when he was so completely unstable that helped. I do trust this psychiatrist though and we need to try it.

Anyways, just wanted to share how difficult child is doing, if you can do some finger crossing that tweaking the medications doesn't send difficult child spiraling it would be much appreciated!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Glad to hear he is doing so well on managing his mouth :D

I'll rattle some beads and send some good juju your way so the medication tweaking doesn't cause a major upheaval in him.

Had he tried any of the other AP's before he went on Loxapine?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon, what an uplifting & positive update. It's those baby steps, the ones that "stick" that make an impression on us. Eventually our difficult children notice that they are doing it as well. I love that "clueless" state at first ~ they are just following directions or being pleasant or helping with chores with-o complaining. You're enjoying their company & our little "wonders" don't have a clue.

I love that period of time. Sharon, you & husband have worked hard for this positive turn; cherish it. Journal it. It's another turning point for difficult child.

LittleDudesMom

Sharon,

great update! I understand how scary it is once things are going well to make a change. I kinda wonder about making the change now, right at the beginning of the school year when anxiety is high and anger/frustration can rear their ugly heads as a result. It would seem that waiting until he has a few weeks of school under his belt would be smarter. But, that is just the opinion of a mom who is always cautious of messing with something that is working!!!!

Sharon

TerryJ2

I'm sending more luck and strength and I'm smiling right along with-you.
I hope he keeps up the good work.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Gvcmom-He did try other Anti-psychotics. Abilify gave him Tardive Dyskensia. Seroquel he raged on and Risperal (sp?) made him way too sleepy.

Linda-It is nice and difficult child is starting to notice the change (unfortunately today he lost it and punched me at the end of the night but I'm hoping it's just a blip)

Sharon-I would usually agree about not doing the tweaking now but the fact that people are having a hard time understanding difficult child gets him really upset and we really want to try and take care of that source of anxiety before school starts if possible.

Terry-Thanks, I'm hoping he keeps it up too but as I responded to Linda he did have a setback tonight.

Christy

Thanks for the update. It sound like things are going relatively well. I hope the medication adjustment yeilds positive results.
Good Luck!
Christy