Tips for dealing with ODD behavior?

I didn't realize the thread is from 2007 ( and I read the whole thing -- Oopsie.)

Ah yes, the topic of ODD never seems to grow old. A thread can be bumped and it's just like yesterday. Also -- the wisdom by the other posters is sweet.

Jo

P.S. About the laughing that I wrote about earlier -- whenever I find I have released a good belly laugh, I feel such a surprising relief. I can really see why we evolved with laughter -- it's literally a survival mechanism. Also -- good music that I loved before I became a parent -- The Stones Let It Bleed, Bob Seeger's Roll Me Away. Helps me remember I am a person not a doormat and Bob Seeger knows this for sure.

I guess living well is the best revenge ( I didn't make that up).

Waldo431

Hi,
I have a 14 yr old daughter, ODD, responds only to immediate carrots as she cannot sustain good behaviour for long. Currently she has lost her phone and iPod. I don't know what a reasonable time to take this away for. She lost it for using it irresponsibility. Problem is, her favourite line is "I have nothing to lose - why behave?". Combative, does not do transitions between her dad's house and our house well, marks have dropped this year in high school, verbally and mildly physically argumentative, senstitive to fabrics, etc. I am quite often embarassed by her behaviour in public. I feel like I have a two year old with a potty mouth. My 11 yr old isn't like this and people are so judgemental. I am reading the Explosive Child. She has been diagnosed with ODD but we don't have benefits for continued psychologist and she won't say ANYTHING anymore anyway (just sits with a closed mouth for an hour). Any suggestions?

InsaneCdn

Hi, and welcome.
You have responded to a VERY old thread, and many of the board members ignore such dinosaur threads...
So, you'll get far more responses if you start your own thread.

Having said that?
in my opinion - ODD is not a diagnosis of value. It works as a placeholder - validating that the behavior is indeed a problem and not just in YOUR head. But beyond that? ODD as a diagnosis gives you nothing. No interventions, accommodations, medications, guidance.

Mostly, it seems like ODD behavior happens for a reason, or for multiple reasons.
Little things you mention make it sound like there could be a number of different possible dxes - one, or more.
We found nothing much worked until we got to the bottom of the complete list of dxes and knew what we were dealing with.

Please start a new thread, tell us more about your difficult child... and I'm sure others will respond. (they always do)