Two sides of the same difficult child!

tiredmommy

You know how some of our kids can hold it together in one setting but really struggle in another? Duckie generally does well in school and saves most of the ODD for husband & myself. It's been this way since kindergarten, but I'm still a little surprised to read the following comment on her report card from her classroom teacher:

"Duckie is a very respectful and considerate student."

I very nearly choked on my coffee reading that yesterday! :rofl:

busywend

Ha! - I understand.

But, it still must make you happy to read it. Thank goodness she can hold it together at school. Mine did until 5th grade! :faint:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Don't you love it!!!
This year when K's teacher actually told me that she sees K's issues I was so relieved!
And only a parent of difficult child could understand that feeling!

tiredmommy

Thanks for the responses.

Wendy- I'm holding out hope that Duckie will continue to keep her act together in school. Hope springs eternal. :hammer:

Totoro- Duckie's teacher is aware that there are issues but I haven't spelled out the ODD diagnosis. She tends to see the disorganization, continual talking and occasional lack of self control but not the non-compliance and oppositionality. I really hope the ODD doesn't get into school because the teachers at her school really love her. It would be painful for both Duckie and the teachers.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I love the comment and that she is doing so well at school!

I about fainted this year when the school psychologist said difficult child is barely on the behavior radar!!! They weren't saying that he wasn't on the radar but hey I'll take barely!

Jena

I know exactly what your saying.........it's MIND BOGGLING at times!! Literally, isn't it??

Great that he's doing so very well in school, yet they should be home with-us after their day in school.

Toto- i know exactly what you mean. same thing with-me when difficult child's teacher last year said "i see it" i was actually excited!! Sick lol

tiredmommy

Sharon- I'm glad to hear that difficult child's school behavior has improved so much!

Jena- I'll keep plugging away on her home behavior but it is a relief that she's still doing well in school. I think the parents of a difficult child are always waiting for the floor to fall out beneath us!