UNHAPPY Mama...

InsaneCdn

Thanks for the link, Janet.
No, it doesn't seem to be scabies... these critters are big enough to be seen with the unaided eye. Rash is a bit different, too.

InsaneCdn

Neither. Fleas range from light brown to black, depending on where you live... the ones here are brown.

This buggy is definitely not pinkish. More a light brown/tan kind of color. Very active - if she puts a hood up, the bugs on the hood in minutes.

DammitJanet

And they jump right? Can you put a piece of tape on her hoodie and catch one and take a really close up picture for us to see? You can zoom in really close so we cant see anything else.

InsaneCdn

Ummm... by the time I go get film for the camera, get everything set up, snap the pics, go get them developed, and then scan to disc so I can upload...

I know. I'm not a Luddite. Really. But... because I am immersed in technology 24/7 for my work, I avoid it in the rest of my life. Including cameras and cell phones with build-in cameras.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
From one who has been there... Fleas, lice AND bedbugs (though thank Heavens not all at once!)

...OK. At pet stores they sell this flea treatment you spray on cats & dogs, smells like oranges. Works great on human heads, too. Spray it as close to the scalp as possible, comb through, let sit about 5 minuutes, shampoo and condition.

Those foggers work well in rooms with carpeting. But caution - LEAVE.THE.HOUSE. They have nerve agents. Learn from my mistake.

And - one fogger per room. Gets pricey, but...

Also - our bedbugs' bites didn't match up, either. Do you have brown streaks on the mattresses, especially near seams? If so - Ulta cosmetics sells Fairy Tale bedbug spray - wonderful stuff.

And... GOOD LUCK!

susiestar

Roll With It
Go to a health food store and buy some neem oil. Or order it online (ebay, amazon, whatever). You want 100% pure neem oil - at least 4 ounces. It doesn't go bad. Neem is a totally natural oil that is an amazing insecticide and does not hurt people at ALL. It doesn't hurt dogs, cats, other animals or the environment. It is also FAR more effective and cost effective than ANY other flea treatment I have found. Even better than the frontline stuff that you get from the vet.

It smells pretty yucky, but it is not a big deal. To use the neem oil, mix about 1 teaspoon into enough shampoo to wash her hair. then put the shampoo/neem oil on her head, rub like you are shampooing and make sure to get it all the way to the scalp. Let it sit for about 5 min, then rinse off.

If this is fleas, it will take care of it. If it is lice, this will take care of it. If this is some other bug, this will also take care of it. I am not sure about bedbugs, but only because I haven't looked.

The smell of the shampoo will probably be enough to mask the smell of the neem. It is ok to condition after using the need shampoo. If you are going to comb out lice eggs, mix some neem with the conditioner and then comb. Neem keeps eggs from hatching. My kids and niece say it hurts a lot less to comb them out after using neem than after any other product - even better than that commercal stuff sold to get the eggs to not be glued to the hair. Until we tried neem it used to take TWO people to hold thank you down and them me to comb out the nits. With neem? Just me - no holding him still/down/whatever.

For the house, including bedding, vacuum everything you can. Then spray a mixture of one tablespoon neem oil and 16 ounces of water on everything. If the odor of the neem oil is a problem (a strong, almost garlicky odor but not that bad when diluted), add a few drops of essential oil. We usually add citronella oil, mostly because I have a big bottle that I got on sale years back. ANY essential oil might be the ehelp you need though.

You do have to check the hair, and should repeat the process in about 10-14 days (can't remember when it is recommended).

Steely

WOW - so sorry girl. No words. I have never heard of fleas being in hair though - and I lived in Texas for most of my life. Every dog had fleas. Everyone of my dogs had fleas. I had many many flea infestations, but again, they never got into my hair. Perhaps a DR visit is in order? An exterminator at this point is probably your only your option to really get rid of them......
<<<HUGS>>>>

L

Liahona

You deserve a vacation from your vacation. The guys should be extra nice to you two for awhile after this.

ready2run

Ok. I know it isn't lice, because they only go where there is hair, and her arms are really bad.
Its not ticks, either.
Also researched bed-bugs... bite patterns don't add up.
Fleas are not unheard of around here, so it was the "next logical".

What on earth is scabies?

if it's mostly on her arms it probably is scabbies. you need a perscription for the medication, it's a cream. i had it before, not fun. they lay eggs inside your skin.... *shudder*

InsaneCdn

R2R... the worst is the back of her neck, arms are "moderate". And the bug is big enough to see... scabies is from mites, which these would be too big for. Whatever it is, is big enough to get caught in a flea comb.

But if its not cleared by Monday, or at least going in a right direction, might have to see a doctor.

InsaneCdn

Her scalp is such a mess that I no longer am sure what all we are dealing with. But the major mess is definitely scalp. Arms are getting bitten... can see specific bite marks.

Imagine the worst possible case of dandruff. Roughest possible skin. That is her scalp.

What makes a scalp better?
Or am I working with yet another bug? (like scabies?)
Tonight she's complaining that her hair is getting thinner. I know that sometimes happens with mange in dogs...

Help!

My skin is crawling just writing about this stuff.

InsaneCdn

Susie... neem oil. Managed to find some. I figure it will be a good round-two to catch whatever else...
What kind of shampoo works best to put it in?
Roughly how much shampoo to how much neem oil?

Thanks.

Malika

These are extraordinarily active bugs, IC! Never heard anything like it - but I guess my experience in the field is limited. I do hope you crack this, for the poor daughter's sake.

ksm

Have you seen a doctor yet? I have heard that adding tea tree oil to the bottle of shampoo is a good preventive measure to keeping lice away... maybe it would help in this situation too. Hope you figure out what is causing it. KSM

H

HaoZi

Are you certain it's just bugs? The dandruff reference could also be psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis, etc.