Update on us. Lots of changes

recoveringenabler

Staff member
CB, if he breaks up with you, it may end up being exactly what YOU need. Many years ago, my husband left me because I took in my little granddaughter because my own daughter could not care for her properly, It was a pretty devastating life change on all counts, being a mom again and losing my partner. However, as time went by and I got over the grief and loss of that life, a whole new life emerged............my fiance is one of those guys who is a real Dad kind of guy and he has showered my granddaughter and I with love, humor, endless patience and strength. He's the Dad she needed to have and the partner I didn't even know I needed. So, sometimes life just pulls the rug out from under us, like all the changes in your life right now, which are profound...........but a year from now, you could look back and say, "that was when my whole life changed for the better, I started to get ALL MY needs met then." Hang in there CB, it isn't over yet, there's a lot going on and you will handle it all well, as you are already doing.............HUGS...........

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Very true RE. I was devastated when my ex left, but the guy I'm with now? Everything I ever wanted and needed in a partner, everything my daughter needs in a father figure - more so than my ex ever could be.

Californiablonde

Thanks ladies. I'm just feeling a little discouraged right now cause of my age. I'm 41 years old and still never found a man fool enough to marry me. I'm a relationship disaster. My kids' dad never thought I was good enough to marry but he cheated on me, dumped me, and married an evil witch. All my relationships since him have failed. I feel like I will never find a man who is in it for the long haul and like I will be alone forever. I'm starting to feel like an old maid.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
From someone who's been twice divorced, let me tell you - it's a whole lotta heartache and paperwork. At least you saved yourself the paperwork.

InsaneCdn

CB... maybe you need to learn how to love yourself, first.
When I was a kid, somebody used to say "If you really need a man, then in reality the last thing you need is a man."

Californiablonde

I don't need a man I've done just fine without one for the past seven years. But now that I do have someone in my life I'm attached to him and it is going to be hard to let him go. I fell in love with him. I will be perfectly fine without him but it is going to take some time for me to heal.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
And that is true no matter what - be it a friend or a SO. It's always hard to let go of someone you care deeply about.

Little story about me... XH wasn't horrible or evil, he just ignored me. I felt unloved, unwanted. I met someone who made me feel worthy - and he and his wife taught me I was lovable, but not for the reasons I thought. I left XH, came back to Ohio, got into a really unhealthy relationship with a guy who could not and would not be there for me. Decided I was done with that and spent LOTS of time with BFF and his wife (who, by the way, I am still friends with though they have split up and both remarried... And I love the current wife too!) I was NEVER getting married again.

And then I met husband. Who was, like, me, never getting married again.

That was 9.5 years ago... We've been married for 7.5.

Don't worry about being an old maid. Think of it this way - you can do whatever you want!!!

witzend

Schools are by law designated "Safe Zones" and have special laws. Your guy is charged with a BUNCH of felonies, as well he should be. It may be an old joke but you really can shoot your eye out with a bb gun, and worse. He's not going anywhere for a very long time.

Of course you are a hero! You didn't let this person get to his or anyone else's child. I hope that you will ask your HR department if they can help you with counseling regarding this incident. They don't need to know the who what when where and why of anything that may have been a part of your life before it, but you're most certainly eligible to talk to something about this incident and what it may have triggered or burdened you with.

As to letting your typical teen live with dad, I have to say that that is a very mature and well-handled decision on your part. You have considered his needs first, and that is what we owe our children. I think it speaks very well of you. I know that this is a very difficult decision that many parents wouldn't have been able to make. You should be proud that you were able to think this out so clearly.

I know everything is difficult right now, and I hope that you will continue to make good decisions about how you are dealing with everything. I'm proud of you for recognizing that there are difficulties and that there are things that you can do to make things better.

witzend

I have to say that I don't know whether or not you are "negative", but I do know that you don't have much self-confidence. I believe you are in a depression, and that it is reflected in the things that you say. It's really important that you find something to be positive about every day. I know that's beyond difficult to you for now, but the truth is that there are many things positive in everyone's lives, you're just not acknowledging them right now.

I know you pray for guidance, and you've accepted a lot of guidance from your prayers and from your friends. Do the right thing by God and be thankful for all of the wonderful things that he has given you. Find one thing today, and when you pray today for guidance, be sure to thank God for something, and mean it. You'll be glad that you did.

InsaneCdn

CB... FIRST you have to learn to love yourself. THAT comes before anything else. Then... whatever else happens, you will be quite happy living with yourself - in whatever other arrangement.

susiestar

Roll With It
I haven't been around much this week, mostly because of a virus and major migraine on top of that.

I am so very very very very VERY VERY VERY PROUD of you. You know me. I am pretty blunt and not keen on blowing sunshine up someone's nether regions. Just not my thing. So you need to know that I MEAN IT when I tell you that I am proud of you.

The decision to let your son live with your ex so that he can have the strong authority figure in his daily life is HARD to make and is in his best interest. It is something that many people could not do.

You ARE a hero. The school thing? That poor girl could have been hurt or killed by her Dad if you hadn't alerted to something being wrong. You didn't let her go, you demanded ID and didn't shake on that when he challenged you. You kept your cool and alerted your boss and then you kept out of his way. Those are not just one thing, but that last sentence was THREE things and you did them all very well. You didn't let him know you alerted someone. It is HARD when you are scared to not show it, and I am not sure that I would be that great at doing that. You didn't let him see anything as you told your boss you had a problem. That is HUGE since most communication is nonverbal. Then you got out of the way and stayed out of the way. If you had gotten into the struggle it is very possible that the man could get away and/or shoot someone because you don't know what to do in a fight like that. I think most people would say your principal was brave to struggle with the man, but the cops and most people who deal with these types of things would call him an idiot. I do know that MANY businesses would fire an employee for what you boss did. WHY? Because the risks are so very high and it is so dangerous. Often the person with the weapon gets the upper hand and then they are more angry, less able to see reason or use it, and MUCH more likely to kill someone. I worked in a convenience store during summer breaks and it was made super clear that if we fought with an armed intruder that we were fired no matter if we won or lost. Regardless of the type of weapon, or what the attacker wanted, we were not to fight because that usually makes everything end badly. More than a few other jobs gave the same instructions and cautions. Even if we were world champs at some form of self defense, we were NOT to use it if we were attacked.

I won't call the principal and idiot, or wrong or whatever, but I would be surprised if his bosses didn't have a quiet chat about being stupid with him. It won't be public because the public is happy that he won.

I am sorry your boyfriend is an idiot. I don't think he has a clue, and after all this time? I don't know if he will ever get one. I think you can do better, but what do I know about dating? I never did know much about it, and after all the years with husband, well, I know less now than I did then.

You are in a depression and Witz is right about finding one good thing each day. Your employer will provide therapy for this because it is a terrible trauma that you experienced. Sure, it could have been worse, but it was bad enough as it was. ANYTHING could be worse. Heck, you could have seen his ID, let him take his daughter, and then he could have hurt her and/or her mom, and that would be awful. YOU SAVED THAT GIRL. YOU. Yes, the principal wrestled with the armed guy and got the weapon away, but YOU are the one who sensed a big problem, who checked on his status, who stalled him, who kept his child away from him and got help. YOU. YOU. YOU. YOU . YOU.

If you didn't have anxiety and nightmares and other problems? I would be seriously worried about you. You NEED to talk to someone, and your employer should have an employee assistance program (EAP) or hr can set you up with a therapist because this is incredibly traumatic and with-o therapy can cause other major problems. I wouldn't make it known at school that you are having problems, other than to hr or whomever is in charge of benefits. Check your employee handbook and see if you have an EAP, if so, call them. Otherwise, call your HR dept and ask how to get some help with an on the job trauma.

I know you don't feel like a hero. that is okay. In many ways it is like being brave. You are not brave because you run into a burning building, you are brave because you were terrified and you ran into the building anyway. You are a hero because you were nervous because something was off, so you double checked. then you were scared but you did what you needed to so that the girl was safe, and you had the sense to stay out of the way, which in my opinion is harder to do than to jump in. It is soo much harder to wait than to act, but many times waiting is a far better course of action, Know what I mean??

Please, do what you need to do. I am worried about the xanax use. in my opinion your doctor was NOT right to rx it. There are MANY other anxiety medications and almost all of them have fewer side effects and a vastly lower rate of addiction than xanax does. We have MANY docs in our area who just won't rx it unless every single other medication and 2-3 times a week therapy appts have not helped, and the patient is using more than three alternative ways to deal with anxiety (meditation, exercise, whatever, just non-medication and non therapist type therapies). The big problem with xanax is that the good feeling, the relief, wears off so fast. So people take more of the medication, more often, and they end up worse off than before.

the other reason I think xanax was totally the WRONG thing to rx? All benzos cause depression after a few weeks of daily use. it is almost impossible to treat depression with xanax, valium or other benzos because that is one of the more common side effects. I had a doctor put me on valium daily and in under a month I stopped caring about anything. Mostly I sat there, or laid in bed. I didn't read, and that is what really worried my family. I ALWAYS read, usually nonstop, and I read very very fast. So when I didn't finish a book in more than a week, and it wasn't a big book at all, my husband and mom freaked. So I took a look at the side effects and got FURIOUS, because my doctor KNEW that I was depressed when he rx'd the valium. Later a psychiatrist discussed benzo's with me and I double checked another source and found that ALL benzo's can cause depression as a side effect.

This is why I don't think xanax was a good choice for you, and I think you need to ask the psychiatrist why he thinks a medication with depression as a side effect is a good choice for you? I am always a bit surprised to learn that my docs often haven't got a clue what the side effects are to what they are prescribing. Usually I get frustrated, sometimes I get angry.

Anyway, I am PROUD of you for making the hard call about your son, and for your part in saving that girl at the least from a traumatic situation and possibly even saving her life. ALL people who are caught up in a situation like that have to deal iwth the aftermath and it can take weeks or months, and the longer you go with-o therapy, the harder it all becomes to deal with. there is NO shame in needing help to deal with this. NONE, regardless of what your boyfriend is telling you.

(((((HUGS)))))

TerryJ2

ROFL Janet! I just roll my eyes and thank them and feel sorry for such idiots who are so small minded that they never have had to deal with anything worse than a hangnail.

Califblonde, best of luck with-your boyfriend. I realize he wants to fix things ... and that he made just tuck in his tail and run. If he does, the best you can do is make it easier for both of you and say that you were thinking the same thing and that you don't want him to be sad. It's hard to be in a relationship with-someone who suffers from anxiety and depression, but it's also hard to be in a relationship with-someone who doesn't get it. Sometimes, people can love one another but not be on the same page. I keep thinking of the movie with-Barbra Streisand that made the song, "The Way We Were" so famous.

TerryJ2

Ohh, good idea, Susiestar--that your employer will provide therapy for trauma after the gun incident. Go for it, CABlonde!

I didn't mean to brush aside the gun incident, just that it is over and done ... and the boyfriend thing and your difficult child are ongoing issues. You are a true hero!!!!

witzend

Yes, best to ask your employer for help before they ask you if you need it. They'll know that you are jumpy. You don't want to give them any reason to think that you won't ask for help when it is so rightfully needed. That goes for therapy or for adding ink to the copy machine.

Californiablonde

Well I talked to the school psychiatric and he made me feel a lot better. I really really like him and I am thrilled that he will be a part of difficult child's therapy once she starts school here in a few weeks. He is so caring, insightful, understanding, and a great sense of humor. He loves to make people laugh and I know difficult child will appreciate his humor. Anyway, he made me feel a lot better about the incident. He went as far as to call me the "true hero" because without me double checking the guy and finding the restraining order, my boss would never have been able to do what he did. So I guess he's right. If it wasn't for me, things could have gone very differently and I am thankful it all went down the way it did. As for therapy, I am already seeing a therapist and I will be bringing up the incident at our next appointment. The school psychiatric and I also talked about difficult child coming to school in the next few weeks. He is looking forward to meeting her and being a part of her education. I really hope this move works out for all of us. So things are looking up for me. And I called psychiatrist yesterday and he is upping my dosage of Saphris to help with the mixed mania. I am hoping it works. I read up about it online and it says it's used for mixed bipolar episodes and that's exactly what I am having right now. So hopefully it works good. I took my first double dose last night and so far I am feeling a bit more relaxed today than yesterday. Hoping it stays that way.

InsaneCdn

Sounds like various pieces are moving in a positive direction... hang in there and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Good job CB, you're making all the right moves and you're getting good support, give yourself a big "attagirl" for being such a hero and for making hard decisions about your son and moving and keeping all the balls in the air..............you're doing a great job!

I just want to give you a huge hug on behalf of all those kids and their families. You are absolutely a hero! Don't ever worry about anyone thinking you aren't do a good job at work.

I do know that the healthier you become mentally, the better everything in your life will be. Things will fall into place on their own. (HUGS)