Using Spleda to reduce sugar intake

tiredmommy

I'm not aware of any. I usually substitute honey or other more natural things when I need to rotate Duckie's white sugar.

smallworld

Possible side effects to Splenda include:
bloating
abdominal pain
gas
nausea
diarrhea
headaches
migraines (severe headaches)
heart palpitations (fluttering, irregular heartbeats)
shortness of breath
depression or overwhelming anxiety
spaced-out or drugged sensation
joint pain
dizziness

I understand your interest in cutting down sugar intake, but I personally would not substitute an artificial product. My strong feeling is that children do best on a well-balanced diet of natural products (meaning no artificial or chemical additives or preservatives). Try shopping at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's if you have them in your area.

Dad

Here is a link to Stevia.
I consider any of the marketed sugar substitutes poison to the human body, with the exception of the natural substitutes such as honey or stevia.
However, I consider most of the foods bought in a super market poison.
So take this link for what it is worth to you.

http://www.steviva.com/

L.T.A.

Hi! Most things I read, say that switching to artificial sweeteners is not an answer. It is best to slowly switch to natural sweeteners like that found in fruit, or cut way back on sugar totally.
Here is a link where you can learn more about Splenda:

my3bibs

Possible side effects to Splenda include:
bloating
abdominal pain
gas
nausea
diarrhea
headaches
migraines (severe headaches)
heart palpitations (fluttering, irregular heartbeats)
shortness of breath
depression or overwhelming anxiety
spaced-out or drugged sensation
joint pain
dizziness

Holy cow!!
Thanks for all the info!

tinamarie1

When Splenda first came out, well a few years ago is when it was big where we live....we used it alot. To make kool aid, iced tea, in cakes, cookies, you name it.
Well that is until we were going through alot more toilet paper than any normal human should! lol...
We quickly stopped that! alot of sugar free candy and popcycles are made with it too...so you have to be careful.

I agree with others that it is best to avoid artificial sweeteners if at all possible. Of course, you have to weigh the risks and benefits. If you can find other ways to reduce sugar, I would start there.

mywaydown

I have used Stevia and it is a good sub. I am hearing many bad things about Splenda. I cannot say they are true. I do know like some of the others here. It increases my toilet paper consumption: something can't be right there!