visual processing delay?


New Member
not familiar but sounds to me like he will need some Occupational Therapist (OT) help in school. i'd ask for an update to the iep to get this new diagnosis addressed.

Wiped Out

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Is there vision therapy for that? I know at one time they thought difficult child had vision issues and needed therapy-don't remember what the exact problem was but it wasn't eyesight. difficult child's Occupational Therapist (OT) at school has been very helpful and they no longer feels he has a problem.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Who diagnosed the visual processing delay? Did they give you any idea of what type of delay it is?

T has visual tracking problems. Actually more of a brain problem than vision related. As he reads he'll get "lost" in the text. He can't do those maze puzzles at all. Visual therapist actually showed me this. T tried over and over again, each time thinking he'd solve the maze when he never came close.

I would say at the very least difficult child's IEP needs updated to include this new diagnosis and some services for it. I would find out if there is some type of therapy that might improve the condition or some type of environmental modifications that can help. T uses all sorts of the latter. He has special lights, prisms and such that help to enhance what little sight he has. (and T has multiple vision/neuro problems)

If person who diagnosed didn't explain, I'd call them back and have them explain it to you in simple terms to make sure you understand. (otherwise you might get alot of mumbo jumbo that means nothing to you)



I tried to tell IEP board that difficult child I has this, and they refused to pay for testing for it, now the kid is a freshamn and failing 9th grade


New Member
There is vision therapy, they are hard to find I looked it up in the phone book, you have to go under opthamologist look thru adds or call and ask for "comphresive developmental exam" there are VERY few in each state and they don't accept insurance. But it sounds like they may have been who did the exam or they should have told you where to go. They are usually 11 - 14 sessions and are about $75 each visit. Count your blessings, I did all this hoping my son was misdiagnosed and that was small price to pay to "have" my son. Good luck hope it helped some.


Don't "tell" them. Request the testing in writing via Certified Mail addressed to the Special Education Director of your sd.