Vocal talent......

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I only knew my maternal grandparents. My paternal grandmother died a couple of years after I was born. My paternal grandfather a couple of years before.

My paternal grandparents fled to the US in the late 20s, fleeing the pogroms in Eastern Europe.

My paternal grandmother was blind and took in washing. My paternal grandfather was a Talmudic scholar who spoke 7 languages, and while very learned, was not very good at supporting his very large family.

My father left school at 8 years of age and went to work, first delivering groceries, then delivering ice and working in a tannery at Chicago's infamous stockyards.

My maternal grandmother's family were well-off. They were millers and bakers in Kaunus, Lithuania. My grandmother was put on a boat as a teenager and sent to Britain where an older cousin had already emigrated to. He sponsored her. Their parents were killed by the Lithuanians, the mill and bakery burned, and the rest of the Jews in Kaunus tortured and killed. My grandmother and her sister both made it to the US via England. 2 of my great-uncles emigrated to the Middle-East and fought to found Israel (personal opinions kept to myself). I still have family in Israel and Britain.

My maternal grandfather was born in England. The last rabbi in a long family line of rabbis. His family emigrated to England from Lithuania as well. He went back to Lithuania, to the Vilna (Vilnius) Yeshiva to train as a rabbi and cantor, then returned to England to work. At the time of the Sho'ah, he and several other family members returned to Kaunus and surrounding areas in an attempt to get family to safety. Several of the "Lost Brothers" were rounded up and put in the camps or executed. My grandfather escaped and made it back to England, where he met my Grandmother after stopping at a very nice house on a pastoral visit and being taken by the young, blonde girl who answered the door.

He thought she was a house-servant. A meeting was arranged, a marriage broker contacted, and that, the last arranged marriage in my family, lasted 76 years, with my grandmother dying at 96, and my grandfather dying at 104.

InsaneCdn

A meeting was arranged, a marriage broker contacted, and that, the last arranged marriage in my family, lasted 76 years, with my grandmother dying at 96, and my grandfather dying at 104
I love these stories. Bonds forged out of respect, not out of "romantic love" as our current generation expects. And yes, respect is a far firmer foundation.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
IC, I don't know that romantic love was ever there. A young rabbi needs a wife. It's almost impossible for a single, Orthodox rabbi to find employment as there are many duties the wife, the Rebbetsin, has to fulfill.

Children? Duty to their god. But they stood together because of the Ketubah, the oath to each other that they'd sworn before their god.

My grandfather performed Stu's and my marriage, after a bloody row over the exact wording of the Ketubah, which was finally settled when Stu told my grandfather that either it would be THIS way, or the wedding wasn't happening.

I can't read the ketubah as I'm illiterate in both Hebrew and Yiddish, but Stu was literate in liturgical Hebrew, read the contract as originally written, and blew a gasket.

I come from a culture where romantic love really isn't that common. Marriages were contracts, e.g. business arrangements, or worse, breeding arrangemnts.

It's only in the past 75 years or so that romance started to play a role in marriage.

One strikingly "modern" thing is domestic abuse was always a way to end a marriage under Jewish law. The other two were barrenness or adultery.

The earlier solution to barrenness was for the husband to take another wife or concubine. And the Talmud is very clear on the 2nd wife's or concubine's subservient position re; the first wife.

Personally, I wish they still did it the old way. I'm barren and was quite young when I found out. Coulda sure used an extra set of hands around the place.

InsaneCdn

It's only in the past 75 years or so that romance started to play a role in marriage.
I come from a different cultural background. And... romantic love WAS part of the picture, going a long ways back. But it wasn't always the beginning of the relationship. No arranged marriages, but marriage was a contract, made to be honoured for life. But often, love bloomed there and filled their lives.

Lil

German/Irish here - so I have nothing to add to the discussion. Though my father did fight in WWII, in Italy, France and Africa.

I listened to the video, as opposed to watching it; letting it run while I read this very interesting thread. That man's voice is definitely something unique. Not exactly a musical genre I'll be putting a lot of effort into discovering, but kind of fascinating just the same.