BusynMember

Jumper wants to start taking Vyvanse again when she starts school because she has a very difficult schedule and has trouble focusing. She never did take it with any consistency because I go to work really early and hub is the only one home when she goes off to school.Both she and hub forget about the Vyvanse so this year we are going to give it to the school and she can take it when she gets to school.

The problem is, last year on the regular dose (54 mg?) and s he only took it once she got so giddy and silly and couldn't sit still. Her friend said Jumper was starting to scare her. It scared Jumper too. The doctor said to go down to a lower dose. Will a lower dose even help her? I'm "iffy" on the stimulants, but I want her to have a really good year and she wants to as well. It was her idea to go back on the medication. Is her reaction with the giddiness and inability to sit still normal for Vyvanse? Vyvance is long acting Concerta, I believe.

susiestar

Roll With It
Has she taken other stims with success? Wiz did very very well on concerta, which is long acting ritalin and was available before ritalin xr came out or vyvanse did. Now Wiz is on strattera, or was last i knew, and it was also wonderfully successful for him.

I know you are leery of stims, but when rx'd appropriately for adhd they do NOT lead to drug abuse. the opposite has actually been shown in studies - appropriate use of stims helps kids with adhd focus and they are less likely to self medicate with other substances.

I would let her try a lower dose, or go to a medication that has worked before. a lower dose will give less of the effect and can give the improved focus even though a higher dose clearly didn't work well. is it possible to let her try for a day or three before school starts so she and you know what will happen and she isn't dealing with a new medication the first few days of school? Just a thought.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
For some kids, smaller doses are more effective.

Vyvanse is a stimulant like Concerta - but it's not the same thing. Concerta is long-acting Ritalin - methylphenidate hydrochloride - while Vyvanse is lisdexamfetamine dimesylate. Regardless, they're similar in some ways.

Jett was on Concerta. At 18mg it turned him into a mini-monster. So the doctor and bio upped the dose - a couple of times - when husband got custody we weaned him off because it was HORRIBLE for the poor kid. Interestingly, for Jett the biggest issue has been not the focus but interest.

I'd say talk to the doctor and find out the lowest dose and start from there.

InsaneCdn

I'd say try switching stims... from the formal drug names, Vyvance would be more related to Dexedrine. Dexedrine is very different than Concerta and other methylphenedate-based medications, but still a stimulant. We've used both.

Also, if you're starting over anyway, start with the short-acting form. It wears off faster so if it causes problems, she doesn't have to live with them all day. This approach seems to work for all of the stims. Because it doesn't build up in the system, you can usually adjust the dose every other day. If you have a good psychiatrist, you can probably find the right combo in under 2 weeks.

TerryJ2

I say try it.
I agree with-InsanceCdn, that because it wears off quickly, it's a good bet.
Fingers crossed.

DDD

I swear I responded to your post this morning but don't see it here. Geez! Oh well, at least this will be shorter, lol.
The two youngest difficult child's in the family have done beautifully with Vyvanse. When the boys lived with me we had great success with Concerta. No matter what you try I strongly suggest that you try it before school starts. Not every kid or teen responds well to a particular medication and it's better to cope with possible side effects at home. I SO hope that she has an awesome school year. Hugs DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
I hope you let Jumper know how special and wonderful she is. A lot of kids, even easy child kids, refuse to admit they have problems and they fight things like medications that could help - even when they know exactly how much they help. A kid who knows she has a tough year ahead, wants to do her best, recognizes she has an extra challenge and is actively looking for solutions before she is in over her head is just amazing!! Those are not one but FOUR separate great things that are ALL in her favor and speak to what a strong, beautiful, amazing young woman she is.

It also speaks to how great her mom is!!! (Mom has educated her, allowed her to make enough mistakes to get to know herself, supported her to the point that she knows help is out there and how to start to find it, and generally has just done a fantabulous job raising such a strong, smart girl!)

BusynMember

Thanks to all of you. Susie, you are too sweet. IF I were such a good mom I wouldn't have had parenting problems with a few of my kids...lol. Jumper is just a special child on her own!

Anyhow, I noticed she is being started on only 20 mgs!! Wow!

susiestar

Roll With It
MWM, i am NOT being too sweet. What Jumper is perceiving and how she is handling it is NOT just because she is a special person. Being a fantastic mom does NOT mean that none of your kids have problems, or that any and every problem can be fixed/handled/resolved. It means that you love them all no matter what and you want what is best for them even if it cuts you to the bone, and ti means that you are HUMAN and lose it and have kids who go off the rails periodically or choose to live there.

The choices your kids make and the lives they choose are NOT an accurate reflection of your parenting. It is that lying "fun house" mirror that makes you think you are 2 ft tall and weigh 2000 pounds. The majority of your children are contributing members of society and today that alone is a HUGE contribution!

BusynMember

Susie, you really know how to help one's ego...lol. That's why we all love you so much. It's true, I got lucky and they are all contributing and working. However, I still have Sportsfan with his mood disorder and anxiety at 34. For some reason, he never learned the survivial skills that even Sonic has. Sonic, with his Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), is far more balanced than Sportsfan.

But I love you anyways :)))