Want to slow your child down or help them sleep better? READ THIS!

I'll give you a great helpful hint about sleeping. Have some lavender oil in the room where you want someone to rest peacfully!
What almost always worked for me was, I would actually have to wrestle my son to the ground then I would start to rub his feet. This helps in several ways. First of all, when you have hold of their feet they cannot run away, and secondly once you start rubbing them they usually stop squrming! If you can get any lavender oil, make sure it is either massage oil or buy the 100% pure oil and add about 2 drops for a quarter of a cup of any kind of cooking oil and this will further the relaxation!
This blend will not keep, so either use it up soon or make less.
After you do this a few times you will find that they will give in faster all of the time. They like the feel of it but they really don't want you to know that!
It usually helps too if you rub their back with it.
Some people like think the reflexology & aromatherapy parts are the reason for the deep relaxation, but I as a MOTHER don't really care why! It just helps!

Take care!!!
P.S. I also always put a cotton ball with 1 drop of lavender essential oil on it in everyone's pillow in my house. Men usually quit complaining about it in a couple of days!
Kimcares

------------------
Helping everyone is what I do best!
I can help from a head ache to a child that cannot sit for 2 seconds! There is always an answer, sometimes it is just harder to find!

thanks!! I think I may look into that. Do you think a 'herb shop' would have stuff like that? there is one near me. I havent been in it yet (too broke ) but I will soon. My boy (AKA easy child) is a bit on the hyper side. He is a squirmy little guy, falls off his chair at supper at least once a week if not more!!!
So, he needs some calming down!!
And my girl, well.. she can use all the help she can get!

------------------
7 yr old girl Bipolar/ADD/ODD
Currently on a new natural treatment (wish me luck)
off ALL medications!!
Fav. Funny quote- "Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll
probably still be a dog. <Sigh!> There's so little hope for advancement."
- Snoopy

"With out God, my life would fall apart"

As most people know I do sell these oils mixed and unmixed so I feel that I am qualified to say that you should sho around when buying oils. Yes that store probably has lavender but please make sure that it is 100% PURE ESSENTIAL OIL!!!!!!
Lavender should not cost you anymore than $8.00 for a 15ml bottle. One tablespoon. Yes that seems like alot but other oils get up to $80.00 per 15 mls! ouch!
Alot of oils say 100% pure lavender fragrance it may be the same price even but it is a man made fragrance not natural!
Hope this helps.
That bottle will last a long long time if you keep it in a cool dark place and please make sure you put the lid back on tight. Hint if you aren't going to use it for a while, put a piece of plastic wrap under the lid so you know it is sealed. It will evaporate!

Take care

Kim

------------------
I can help from a head ache to a child that cannot sit for 2 seconds! There is always an answer, sometimes it is just harder to find!

Thanks for the info!! You always wonder about stuff like that, some are much cheaper than others and I would have no clue why!!

Thanks!

------------------
7 yr old girl Bipolar/ADD/ODD
Currently on a new natural treatment (wish me luck)
off ALL medications!!
Fav. Funny quote- "Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll
probably still be a dog. <Sigh!> There's so little hope for advancement."
- Snoopy

"With out God, my life would fall apart"

I've been using pure lavender oil in massage, baths & in the bedroom, with N now for a few years, and it definitely works. In fact, she is wanting a lavender plant for her room, so she can rub the leaves cause she loves the smell
smile.gif

another good oil for children, which calms them down is chamomile, but that is much more expensive to buy. N loves chamomile tea, so I let her have a drink before bed
smile.gif

------------------
difficult child - female, 6 years, ODD (not formally diagnosed) suspect: Sensory Dysfunction and/or ADD: no medications

ME - 31, psoriatic arthritis & depression - Prozac, 40mg, and a cocktail or arthritis drugs

married to husband for 8 years. husband learning not to react to difficult child on every occasion, and getting much better /importthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We live in Scotland, and there is virtually no support available
ICQ # 19385058
AOL IM # JTFAN000

"Don't you worry time's a healer. Before you know it you'll be through it. Just believing keeps you breathing. Keep on building trust the process" - Trust the Process, John Taylor 1995

"Everythings gonna be alright... one day at a time" - Anon, John Taylor, 1997

Christy

OK natural guys,.... I've got lavendar in my garden. Anybody know how to make oil from it?

------------------
38 yo Mom of 8 yo boy diagnosis: ADHD, ODD, Anxiety
3 yo easy child daughter
Married 17 years
a cat - Screech
and 2 nameless pygmy goats

christy, I'll check my aromatherapy book, i'm sure it tells you how to do it, and post later
smile.gif

I too have lavender in the garden, but just buy the oil to save the hassles

------------------
difficult child - female, 6 years, ODD (not formally diagnosed) suspect: Sensory Dysfunction and/or ADD: no medications

ME - 31, psoriatic arthritis & depression - Prozac, 40mg, and a cocktail or arthritis drugs

married to husband for 8 years. husband learning not to react to difficult child on every occasion, and getting much better /importthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We live in Scotland, and there is virtually no support available
ICQ # 19385058
AOL IM # JTFAN000

"Don't you worry time's a healer. Before you know it you'll be through it. Just believing keeps you breathing. Keep on building trust the process" - Trust the Process, John Taylor 1995

"Everythings gonna be alright... one day at a time" - Anon, John Taylor, 1997

Hello!
Most people leave the extracting of the essence to proffessionanls for several reasons. Way expensive and very time consuming! The actually distill the plant to get essential oil out of it. Some people may not have read it when I posted that you need 2000 pounds of rose to make 1 (one) pound of essential oil!
You can though dry the lavender that you grow and smush it then put it in your pillow or beside your bed. If you want to wait a month you can dry the flower and put it in a jar with a tight lid ( fill jar with flower) then add almond, safflower, sunflower, or another light oil and shake it everyday for one month. If it doesn't come out smelling like lavender do it again for another month!
Long process but heat will kill alot of the aroma and therfore alot of the effects.

Hope this helps a bit!

Have a good weekend!

Kim

------------------

Thanks for this tip. I will buy lavendar oil when I go to the health food store.

Straw
biggrin.gif

P.S. I hope someone is saving or archiving these tips. Kim?? are you??