weird feeling - anyone else ever have this? Thoughts?

FlowerGarden

I'm having weird feelings lately. I can go to the mall, I'm physically there but feel like everything is going on around me but I'm not a part of it. Sounds are intensified. It's happened at work, too. I had the same experience as a teen for about a year. I'd be in class but didn't feel a part of it. I felt like I wasn't being seen and sounds were intensified also. When I was a teen, the doctors kept saying I was depressed and gave me medications that made me feel worse. It disappeared on its own. Now it seems to be happening again.
Anyone or their kids ever experience the same? Thoughts?

PonyGirl65

I have not experienced this. Closest was driving into town and going to the supermarket right after getting the news that my mom had died. Everything looked different, even tho it was exactly the same.

I wonder if what you're describing could be some sort of ear infection? Or something organic like that? I would try to rule out medical/health issues first, and then try talk-therapy. Or.... and this may sound odd, but I would suggest you could try a Native American Sweat Lodge. I don't know where you're located, so this may not be possible for you.

A Sweat Lodge is similar to a sauna, except it's pitch black and there is singing and intense prayer.

Wishing you the best!
Peace

BusynMember

You have deperdonslization/derealization. It makes you feel as if everything is a dream or not real. Like you ate watching life bit not really a part. For me, everything felt "unreal."
Although I'd had depression and anxiety all my life, this symptom terrified me and I ended up in the hospital for ten weeks. I am sure your symptoms are not as severe as mine and my anxiety disorder made me even more scared.

Relax it is not harmful and you won't go crazy. It is a form of disassociating. In my case anxiety medication made the icky feeling go away. Anytime I have a panic attack it comes back though.
Pot use often triggers deperdonslization and it doesn't go away just because you stop one reason pot never had any appeal to me. I just put this in in case you are a recreational pot user.

Last edited:

FlowerGarden

Somewhere Out There
Thanks! Pot has never interested me either. I do take anti anxiety medication because I have a condition where my blood pressure drops suddenly and my brain panics that it isn't getting blood to it, so I have a panic attack. Maybe it's time to get an increase in the medication.

Copabanana

Another term that comes to mind is dissociation, along the same lines as wrote SWOT. The passage below is from wikipedia.

In psychology, the term dissociation describes a wide array of experiences from mild detachment from immediate surroundings to more severe detachment from physical and emotional experience. The major characteristic of all dissociative phenomena involves a detachment from reality, rather than a loss of reality as in psychosis.[1][2][3][4]

Dissociation is commonly displayed on a continuum.[5] In mild cases, dissociation can be regarded as a coping mechanism or defense mechanisms in seeking to master, minimize or tolerate stress – including boredom or conflict.[6][7][8] At the nonpathological end of the continuum, dissociation describes common events such as daydreaming while driving a vehicle. Further along the continuum are non-pathological altered states of consciousness

pasajes4

I have experienced this in the past. It was a way to survive some horrific experiences. I don't know if I was aware I was doing it or if it was the brains way of protecting itself. It still happens from time to time. I seem to be able to stop it when I recognize what is happening.