daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
So we are new to the medication rodeo, but difficult child was finally placed on Lexapro. She claimed she was tired last night, but that seemed a little quick to feel symptoms? I've toyed with the whole medications idea for several years, but lately her anxiety and ager are too great for me to bear. I hope it helps her and in turn helps me. I guess because we are new to this I am very paranoid and am just waiting for some horrible symptom to arise as nothing here ever goes as it should. Does anyone have any feedback about watching for symptoms or Lexapro? They started her on 5mg for 2 days and tomorrow we start with the full 10mg pill. I so much want her to feel better but have been leary of putting her on medications - I just hope we're doing the right thing?

-Dara:stopglass:

BusynMember

I've been on a lot of SSRI's and have been on the same one now for over fifteen years.
Lexapro and all SSRIs take up to six weeks for full effect. You can have all sorts of side effects (I did on Prozac and Zoloft) and they can start at any time. The biggest thing to watch for is the child getting manicky--hyper, angry, overwound, unable to sleep, even violent at the most extreme. Or to say she is restless or nervous. What can make us better can also make us worse. I've been trying medications since age 23 and I'm 55 now so I'm pretty experienced. I wouldn't worry about the fatigue. After being on Paxil since age forty, it still makes me tired after I take my dose at night. Good luck!

DDD

Lexapro was terrific for me. It kicked in within two weeks as I recall and I had no side effects. Fingers crossed it will help her too. DDD

Josie

I loved Lexapro when I took it. I took it in the morning the first time and could tell by the afternoon that it was working. I wasn't as irritated about things as I usually was. I think it was working on anxiety for me, not depression.

It made me yawn almost continuously when I took it in the morning so I ended up taking it at night. When I tried to take 10 mg, I had an upset stomach so I cut it back to 5 mg for a while. I ended up taking 10 mg.

Make sure she takes it every day. When we forgot to give it to difficult child 1 for even 1 day, it was scary. She was more violent and angry than before she was on it.

jal

I tried it about 2 years ago and it made me itch like crazy. Luckily, they were samples from my GP doctor and I threw them away. Never tired an SSRI after that.

jannie

trying to survive....
My son was on it for a bit.....we titrated very slowly and stayed on 5 mg for several weeks before we increased the dosage. Good luck with it.

K

Kjs

About 3 years ago difficult child was taking Lamictal for mood stabalizer and psychiatrist put him on Lexapro for anxiety. He was awake for a week!!!! Then gave him another to help sleep and he was all messed up.

Since, he has been off Lamictal. He is doing ok I guess. Due to Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), and so many, many anxiety fears he is trying Lexapro again. Instead of 10 mgs, we started with 1/2 pill...5 mgs. It has been a month now. Takes a while to build up I believe.
I HAVE noticed less complaints about dying. Less complaints about aches and pains. He said he has had less headaches (use to be daily) Now it is about once a week, but more severe than before.
As for side effects, haven't seen any that I am aware of. I know depression/suicide is a concern. He has been very quiet the past few days which is very unusual. However his friend died last friday in a car wreck and that could be the reason for his silence.
difficult child suffers from depersonalization...I am desperately hoping the lexapro will help. So far he said that is the same.

jbrain

Hi,
my difficult child 1 was on Lexapro for awhile. When she began on it she pretty much was holed up in her room, sleeping a lot, afraid to be around people (very unlike her), etc. After being on the Lexapro for a couple of weeks she seemed to wake up. She started doing things again and was more like the kid I had known. Of course, the down side was that she was not back to getting into trouble! I don't think she had any real side effects from it. Good luck!
Jane

M

ML

I was on Celexa for many years and it did fine but I gained a bit of weight which I haven't been able to lose. psychiatrist suggested Lexapro *might* be better for me in this area so I started it about 10 days ago. I love it. And you know what, sticking within my points has not been near as hard as I thought it would be. Maybe it's psychological/placebo effect but I'm okay with that. The only thing is that it doesn't have a generic and until I hit my deductible it's like 100 bucks a pop. OUCH.

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
I had to pay $110 for 30 pills! We're trying to get it on the "approved" list on difficult child's insurance. Thank you all so much for the feedback!! I'm watching difficult child like a hawk and am desperately hoping that this is a help to her (and in turn to me!!) I'll keep you posted.
-Dara

WSM

My 12 year old started on it about 2 weeks ago. No side effects and seemingly no results either. However, we will wait the full 6 weeks. He's on 5 mm.

My niece started on it at age 14, 4 years ago. Her only side effect was sleepiness at first. It made her happier.

Good luck with it. It's such a big deal to put kids on medications.

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
I'm sure I'm just making it real in my head, but difficult child has been unusually pleasant today. As far as I know I should not be seeing any major results yet as today is only day 2. Tonight we switch from 5mg to 10mg so again am just hoping all will stay well. So yeah, I'm sure she just woke up in an ok mood today as opposed to it being from the lexapro - but I'll take a good day any way I can get it at this point!!
-Dara

ShyChelle

Hi new to the board but I hope Lexapro goes well for you. I found that it did help some for me but it was really just a mild assistant. The good part of it was it was immediate and I didn't have problems coming down off of it more than like one day where I felt more weepy than normal. :)

TerryJ2

Hi Dara,
I only know adults who have been on it, but it did help them.
Best of luck!
My son is on imiprimene (sp?), his 3rd wk. I know how you feel about trying new things and worrying.

Alttlgabby

My daughter was on Lexapro but ended up taking also Depakote and Abilify as well because the Lexapro was not doing it alone. She now takes just the Lexapro and Abilify and is doing well on it. I know some are not so gung ho about the medications route, but sometimes you just have to break down and see if it will help. Good Luck!