Went and did it to myself this time....

mom_in_training

Mikey I have been in training for twenty years of course not all of those years have involved a stubburn troubled difficult child though but I will say that the training never ends. I'm still in training and always will be, Lol!! Life comes with many challenges and life lessons that we all deal with differently. Although we might not see eye to eye on some things I agree with what PonyGirl said.

"you have my utmost respect in the way you have responded to all us Warrior Moms."

You have my utmost respect as well. Something tells me that we in some ways have simular traits though. I may not be half-Italian/half-Irish but I am very stubburn and will not give up or back down and I do say this knowing my limitations at the same time, Must be the lil bit of German in me,. Lol!! The tough love approach is just what it says, Tough and can be very effective in the teachings of the hard knocks of life to some but no matter how we handle our difficult children it comes with no guarantees. Our difficult children will eventually become who they want to be. Of course all of us parents want our kiddos to become productive decent responsible citizens and go on to have a good life. I wish you luck in turning things around for your difficult child.

hearthope

Mikey ~
I understand what you are saying. I guess I am just trying to get you to see the other side.

Just imagine....

Sat. night and four buddies pool money together to buy pot. They smoke until they are content, yet have some left over.
Do you think they would throw it away? Do you think just one of them would take it all home? Or, do you think it would be divided equally and each buddy would take home his equal share?

Just imagine....

Fri. night and four buddies arrive at "the" house to buy pot. The dealer says he has some "new" "better" pot already rolled and they buy it and smoke it not even realizing that it has been laced with something else. It brings such a "higher" high that they agree to get more....

It is a different world now, you can't compare what you did as a teen in your world to what your teen is facing today, no more than I can compare the world I grew up in to my mothers world.

Mikey I am sharing all this because you have a younger easy child at home just like I do.
My easy child was the one that let me know drugs had come into my home.
I was very much where you are now and if someone had told me my son would bring drugs home I would have told them no way.

My son was also "only" smoking pot and drinking beer. I knew my son was raised better and knew better than to get involved with other drugs. He was given a laced joint, he smoked it. He then started questioning what it was that gave him such an awesome high. He then started cocaine.

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
:wink: Winking back, HereWeGoAgain! Oooops! Sorry about that my friend. Thanks for being a good sport :smile: You know what I meant! :blush:

Peace

CAmom

Mikey,

Reading your posts is particularly painful for me because my husband and I were SO where you are now about a year ago. Specifically, our admittedly ambivalent feelings about pot, related partially to the fact that WE smoked pot in our younger years but didn't go on to using stronger drugs.

But, really, for our son, it wasn't so much about pot but rather his mindset which was that the rules didn't apply to him. Then, it became ALL about getting high, and that's when he stole from us for the first time.

Two months before he was involved with a group of stoner friends who comitted a crime, we were advised by a psychotherapist to use "tough love." Like you, we didn't want to play what we felt was our last card by turning him in for being inebriated or stoned.

Then, it was too late, and we were all standing in front of a judge. And, I'll tell you, that was THE most awful moment in my and my husband's lives--having that judge judge US because he knew that we knew our son was using illegal marijuana and alcohol, and, in his eyes, we did NOTHING. He wasn't interested in our endless family contracts, rewards and consequence plans, sleepless nights, etc. He removed our son from our care based on our failure to control our child and placed him in a group home for behavior modification and drug and alcohol counseling.
Quite frankly, he felt that we had had our chance to help our son and blew it.

Tough love would have been so much less painful.

SunnyFlorida

Isn't this a lively post :thumb:. I feel like I'm at the intersection of a Y with two sides using different approaches and both wanting the same outcome. Yahoo for this board. I only wish I had the vocabulary and a way with words as all of you do.

I keep thinking Mikey....if your difficult child is almost 18, why is curfew such a big deal? In your current parenting style, and please do not read anything into this at all...but it seems like you've picked curfew as your line in the sand. Why?

From what you've said before, your difficult child does well in the alternative school, works, pays his car insurance and note on the car, does help around the house, smokes pot, and misses curfew. So what....in 6mo if he's 18 and in college no one really cares about curfew. There won't be anyone monitoring him. He'll be able to smoke as much pot as he can afford and come back to wherever he's staying whenever he wants.

Is he graduating this year?

It would seem to me that your goals of raising a productive, law abiding citizen are almost there, albeit the pot use.

Why not take the car away until he gives you a clean drug test? Show him that there are consequences to his actions. All in the good sense of being a reasonable parent who expects their children to make mistakes and learn from them. Don't make a fuss over it, just have him drop a U/A and if it's dirty say no car until it's clean. What's he going to do...run away? yeah...like I believe that. So what if he does? If your difficult child is doing all that you say he is doing it won't take him very long to see that.

If you don't take a stand and show him through modeling that drug usage will cause problems sooner or later, when will you? when difficult child is at college and campus police or local police pull him over? Will difficult child know how to solve those issues?

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SunnyFlorida</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I keep thinking Mikey....if your difficult child is almost 18, why is curfew such a big deal? In your current parenting style, and please do not read anything into this at all...but it seems like you've picked curfew as your line in the sand. Why?

From what you've said before, your difficult child does well in the alternative school, works, pays his car insurance and note on the car, does help around the house, smokes pot, and misses curfew. So what....in 6mo if he's 18 and in college no one really cares about curfew. There won't be anyone monitoring him. He'll be able to smoke as much pot as he can afford and come back to wherever he's staying whenever he wants.

Is he graduating this year?

It would seem to me that your goals of raising a productive, law abiding citizen are almost there, albeit the pot use.

Why not take the car away until he gives you a clean drug test? Show him that there are consequences to his actions. All in the good sense of being a reasonable parent who expects their children to make mistakes and learn from them. Don't make a fuss over it, just have him drop a U/A and if it's dirty say no car until it's clean. What's he going to do...run away? yeah...like I believe that. So what if he does? If your difficult child is doing all that you say he is doing it won't take him very long to see that. </div></div>

Hi Sunny. Docs are giving him the only conseqeuences he respects (see later in this post). difficult child is a junior this year, won't graduate until 2008, but turns 18 in September. In Kansas, the law says we're responsible for him until 18 or when he leaves HS, whichever comes later, unless he voluntarily "deserts the homestead" (i.e moves out, not running away). So we're stuck together until next May, at least. I hate looking at it like that, but there it is.

Car can't be a bargaining chip - we HAD to get him a car for school; it was the only way he could get to the two alternative programs (at two different schools). Otherwise, he'd either be at his old school (bad) or a dropout (worse). Also, he was having to mooch rides to get to work to pay his bills, and his "friends" had had enough of his freeloading, so no car, no job. Car is out as a bargaining chip.

Now, moving into the basement (I have another post/thread on that) - that might be the bargaining chip to work. I have an appointment. with his therapist tomorrow to discuss current treatment scenarios (otherwise known as "Parental Coaching Sessions" :laugh: ) where we'll discuss how best to use this option.

Curfews are only important to us because when he was actually obeying them, they sort of kept him in check. He had to pass the "sniff and stare" test when he came in, and never once got past my wife when he was wonky. Even when he was sleeping over, he had to stop by on his way to his friends house for a once-over, then we had to speak to a parent once he got there.

Is it any wonder he stopped obeying curfew?

Curfew is important now because its one of the few ways he can show that he's actually trying to work with us, instead of treating us like jailers. Catch-22, I know, but that's how we feel. He gives, we give, and then he gets a little more. It would be a good-faith effort on his part, one of the few (besides not dropping dirty) that would actually mean something to us. Finally, curfew is important because it limits the time he's with other folks who I know do worse things than my son - and I'd rather not have him running the roads with them at 2am if I can prevent it.

I like your quote "It would seem to me that your goals of raising a productive, law abiding citizen are almost there, albeit the pot use." That's kinda how we feel, and why we're not ready for the tough-love thing yet. So far, he's only tested dirty for pot, and even when he talked big he had two completely negative tests in a row. He had another UA at the lab today, so we'll know in a few days if things are worse or better than last time.

Re: <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't take a stand and show him through modeling that drug usage will cause problems sooner or later, when will you? when difficult child is at college and campus police or local police pull him over? Will difficult child know how to solve those issues? </div></div>

Trying that, but we're letting the docs do the heavy lifting, and we're taking a softer approach to keep from provoking a rebellion response.

difficult child had a follow-up doctor visit today for his near-fatal asthma attack a few weeks back. doctor at the ER was straght up - keep smoking anything, and you'll die. That got to him in a way we never could, and he went from a pack a day to less than 5 cigs in the last 3 weeks (with the help of Chantix, too). On his way to completely quitting, which I never thought he was capable of doing.

Since then, he's found out how to "extract" THC from pot into a liquid that can be used to make brownies, put in salsa, whatever. Seems like THC is all he's drawn to as a drug, but again we'll know for certain later. Anyway, today the doctor found that his blood pressure and pulse rate were dangerously low, and that his lung capacity was only 50% of what it should be. difficult child perked up again when a doctor spoke plain english in terms that meant "you could die". We're hoping that continued treatment with his therapist, backed up by unambiguous evidence from his doctor will make it easier for us to draw the line on drugs. But if we do it right now, without the other groundwork being laid, he'll simply blow it off, get mad, rebel, and then use his anger as an excuse to act out.

It's as hard for me to sit back and wait for the right time to act as it is for other parents here to tell their kids to pack and leave. I WANT him to stop the pot, but he has to want to as well. We got to a point where he finally decided to stop cigs. Until then, there was no way to stop him from smoking. It seems like we're slowly building to a similar point with drugs. Although it kills me every time I know he's out using, I also know I have to wait and let the docs do their work and lead him to the same point where he wants to quit. If he doesn't get there on his own, nothing I do can make him stop.

Okay, I'm over my 10 paragraph-per-post limit, so I'll stop now for a breather.

:smile:

Mikey

KFld

Mikey
Aren't you glad you found us????

Just responding to the part you posted about what you and your wife did growing up, and grew out of it. This to me determines a normal teenager and a difficult child. I thought the same thing for a few years, trying to ignore my difficult child's pot use and thinking we did it and grew out of it and we our now responsible productive adults, so I'm sure the same will happen with him. My son went to alternative school, got 2nd honors, worked everyday, paid us his car payments, came home on time every night, until the day he was arrested for posession of narcotics and we discovered he was a full blown heroin addict and had to quit his job to go away to rehab.

I totally understand where you are coming from, hoping it passes and goes away and that all the good stuff he does takes over, but just be very careful not to be missing signs of much more important stuff. I thought my son was doing so well. He was even getting community service awards at school and his teachers, everyone, thought he was doing so well.

Maybe you are right. Maybe he is starting to show signs of change and this will all come together with patience and trying to earn each others trust. I hope and pray for all of your sakes this is exactly what happens. Every child doesn't have the same end results and some snap out of it quicker then others. Just keep your eyes and ears open!! I was totally blind sided by what my son was doing, and it was right in our home under our noses as I was trying to give him privacy, respect and trust. He was very good at playing the game.

That's all I have to say :smile:

gottaloveem

I don't think you did anything wrong. You were checking on him because you did not know he was home. Be glad you didn't walk up to the houses banging on doors. LOL!!

I understand you feel his drug use could be secondary to other issues he may be having. Maybe not. Some kids use drugs just out of curiosity or because they are bored.

As I read some of your other posts, I wondered if other drugs were involved. Many times a kid will admit to only the bare minimum of their drug use. Usually what you know is only the tip of the iceberg. They can still pass drug tests and use drugs other than pot. If the tests are not random, they could use,(other than pot) and it can be out of their system in days.

As far as you "stalking" him, sadly, he put you in that position due to him being dishonest with you. You did nothing wrong. Next time, he can let you know when he gets home.

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
CAMom, re:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...until the day he was arrested for posession of narcotics and we discovered he was a full blown heroin addict and had to quit his job to go away to rehab.

I totally understand where you are coming from, hoping it passes and goes away and that all the good stuff he does takes over, but just be very careful not to be missing signs of much more important stuff. I thought my son was doing so well. He was even getting community service awards at school and his teachers, everyone, thought he was doing so well.</div></div>
Again, thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. My hope is that we <u>are</u> keeping our eyes open, and looking not only for the positive changes, but negative ones as well. difficult child was a little consternated about having to take a UA, but didn't fight it and didn't seem concerned (he was more indignant than anything else). He's been open (so far) about what he's actually doing, and the stuff the docs are telling him (and actually showing him from his x-rays, test results, lung charts, etc) seem to be having an effect as well.

If he keeps us in the loop (good or bad), keeps up with the UA's, and does what his docs say to do, then I don't think he'll slip any further backwards - at least not without our knowing it. And all along, I've said that positive progress is all that keeps me from taking a tougher stand.

In the last few days, I think I've learned that having an ER doctor yell at him while he was blue and couldn't breath worked. Having his normal doctor show him lung charts where he's 50% below where a normal person his age should be works. Showing him his own BiPolar (BP) and pulse records from just last year, as compared to yesterday, seemed to get his attention.

Me talking, threatening, bribing? Gets some results, but nowhere near as effective.

So for now, we'll let the docs keep working on him, and will also keep our eyes wide open as best as we know how. I'd like to think that UA's are a good start, and we're doing them at the lab so we get actual numbers. As someone who WAS blindsided in a similar situation, though, what else should we be looking for as trouble signs? That would be valuable info, since we're still new to this stuff (even though it's been over a year).

Thanks,
Mikey

gottaloveem

Adding on to what Karen said, our son also was using heroin without our knowledge. It is what he died from. We also were in the same mindset that he will "outgrow" his "pot stage" We had no clue he had a raging addiction to heroin.

I agree with Karen that you should just "keep your eyes and your ears open" along with your mind. Some kids will go on and experiment with other drugs and you will be the last to know.

I wish you the best of luck and I will keep my fingers crossed that your son continues to improve.

SunnyFlorida

Mikey,
Hope you don't mind, I'm just picking out a few things....not to change your mind, but to give you food for thought. :smile:

Docs are giving him the only conseqeuences he respects

That's because it's not you giving him the information! :smile:

Car can't be a bargaining chip - we HAD to get him a car for school; it was the only way he could get to the two alternative programs (at two different schools).

If you were a judge, would you buy this answer? What do people in one care families do....they sacrifice. If your difficult child makes poor choices then sometimes the family suffers. Sometimes parents have to take time off from work to drop off/pick up their unruly difficult child's. Families also suffer due to difficult child's. Is your difficult child suffering or are you suffering? Re-read CaMom's post.

Now, moving into the basement (I have another post/thread on that) - that might be the bargaining chip to work.

Yeppers, that could be a bargaining chip. in my humble opinion though...only if difficult child tests clean regularly and consistently.

I have an appointment. with his therapist tomorrow to discuss current treatment scenarios (otherwise known as "Parental Coaching Sessions"

I just love this. I want to go. I need coaching sessions too! Remember...I'm that difficult and controlling person :rofl:

Great....now you've got decreased lung function in your difficult child. I tell ya, that's why I have never smoked cigs...I've got asthma and all it took was one try and I never did it again.

Glad you're here Mikey. :wink: