What Am I Letting Myself In For?

LauraH

So my son had an accident on his bike the other day and shattered his ankle, has to have surgery on Friday. When he asked me to come out and be with him for a few days before and after the surgery I did what any mother would do. I said yes. Now I am regretting that decision, dreading going to Chicago and being with him, and wishing I had said no. We all know that people who are sick or injured can be cranky and irritable. But yesterday he took it to a whole different level. Won't go into details but he got very rude and belligerent with me which set the tone for most of the day and night. I am so afraid now of what might happen when I am actually there, very apprehensive about what I may be walking into, especially without my husband there to have my back. In person, I mean.

No good deed goes unpunished, I guess. I won't be on the forum at all while I'm in Chicago because I don't want to take a chance of my son seeing this forum or my posts. Just pray I get out of there with my sanity and at least a few brain cells intact, and I will update when I get home on Sunday. I BETTER be home on Sunday, my anniversary is Monday and my husband and I have plans.

Copabanana

I had a shattered ankle and three surgeries. I did it alone. If he’s repeatedly abusing you and it seems he is please think twice about going.

Last edited:

LauraH

I had a shattered ankle and three surgeries. I did it alone. If he’s repeatedly abusing you and it seems he is please think twice about going,
Not really abusive but (yesterday) passive aggressive and disrespectful. by the way he purchased my airline ticket. And of course the garbage didn't start until after the flight was booked and I had booked and paid for a shuttle from Daytona to the Orlando airport. Just so we both won't be out all that money, I'm going ahead as planned...things did calm down at the end last night...and hope for the best. But I will be in almost constant contact with my husband and a couple of friends and I have an escape plan if things go south or something hits the fan. If I had known then what I know now I would never have agreed to come, but it's too late to look backward at this point.

*We had actually been getting along very well since I lowered the boom on him for that nastygram text. I knew it wasn't permanent but things seemed good when he hurt himself and asked me to come be with him. I wish foresight was 20-20 like hindsight is.

LauraH

I'm home. I got all the way to Orlando, terrified at being alone in one of the world's largest airports, finally found someone to help me get checked in, through security, and to my gate. I was in tears by that time, a combination of the stress of dealing with my son yesterday, not sleeping last night, and my apprehension at the airport. I was always "this close" to turning around and going home when my son called in tears that he was being evicted from his AirB&B. Turns out he fell on some steps on the property, and then when he told his landlord he was going to sue him because he had failed to salt the steps and shovel the snow, the landlord told him he had to be out by tomorrow. Go figure. Why would anyone rent a room to someone who is threatening them with a lawsuit? I could see what was probably coming next "Mom I really want to come home" (We never got to that, thankfully, but the answer would have been a big fat HELL NO. You chose to back to Chicago so if it's not working out (again) you can find your own way out. Then my husband called him to see what was going on (with the AirBnB) and the first words out of his mouth to my husband were "My "fing" mother won't answer the phone!" I'm not sure exactly what transpired, but at some point my husband must have said something my son didn't like because he hung up on him and then called me. I told him the only way I would talk to him at this point was to three way my husband so he could hear what my son had to say to me. He said "abso-fing-lutely not" and hung up. That was all it took. I went up to the desk at the gate and said I was going home, they helped me get to baggage claim where, thankfully, the plane hadn't arrived yet so my suitcase was still at the airport. Went and got the next shuttle home and that was that.
So then my son posted on Facebook all about how I am no kind of mother and he's done with me, and how could I leave him in the lurch when he needs me the most? Well, if you had refrained from the nastiness and hatred I would probably in Chicago with you right now. And then at some point after I got home he called to tell me "goodbye" and has now blocked both me and my husband on Facebook. Maybe temporarily, maybe forever. At this point, I don't really care, it's actually a relief that I won't have to be listening to is vitriol anymore.
Monday is my anniversary, and then Friday I am going out to see a band that I am friends with. I refuse to let a spoiled, selfish, entitled brat, son or no son, derail my plans.

Nomad

Staff member
Sad to hear you were treated so poorly. You made a great choice to go home. Lovely plans you got coming up. :)

LauraH

I had a shattered ankle and three surgeries. I did it alone. If he’s repeatedly abusing you and it seems he is please think twice about going.

If he was evicted, where is he staying now?

I do not know and I'm not sure I care at the moment. I'm not "hurting", I'm angry, especially since my husband has never done anything to hurt anyone in his life and has bent over backwards to help my son, even at times when I was opposed to it. I don't deserve that kind of treatment, but my husband absolutely does not. If you disrespect my husband, you'll have me to deal with.