What Disturbs your sleep (difficult child's not counted)

Marg's Man

On the Good Morning Monday thread, Marg said:
G'day, people.

I had a rotten night's sleep last night - despite sleeping with ear plugs, the koels were making a lot of noise and kept me awake. They are a native cuckoo the size of a magpie with a loud, whiny kind of call that starts low in pitch and rises, piping, to a shrill scream. It's mating season and we hear the koels all night, all round the streets here. I don't know when they sleep - we hear them all day, too. They were quiet for about an hour before sunrise, then they started up again... and tonight the white cockatoos were feeding in the flowering gums that are all round the house, their screeches were just making my day...
Marg
I don't why but I slept through the Koels that night. I must have been REALLY tired because they usually bother me more than they do Marg. It's now 9 AM on Tuesday here and I can hear one of the bloody things calling.

Imagine this 23 hours a day!!!

So what messes with your sleep patterns, apart from our difficult child's? The problems caused by them is a given.

Marg's Man

T

TeDo

What a wonderful thread Man. That sound clip was only 22 seconds and it was driving me nuts. Glad I only have woodpeckers making holes in my house during the day in the summer so they don't keep me up at night. It is very cold here so they are gone for a few months.

What does keep me up at night is cars parked at the neighbors with the BOOM BOOM BOOM of the bass on their stereo speakers in their trunks on and off all night. That is the big thing around here with the kids and I have some "young adults" that live across the street. I lay awake listening to their noise and my windows rattling incessantly, wondering how long I have before they implode from all the persistent vibrating. We have a noise law but somehow the police are never around when you need them and if you call them, the cars are gone by the time they get here. I just can't win. :bloodshot:

Jena

My HUSBANDS' SNORING........... i could put a video of that on here but trust me you dont wanna hear that!!! i just push his big butt as far as i can to get him to roll into right direction so it stops. One night i almost pushed him off the bed!! LOL

H

HaoZi

Got neighbors doing the booming bass thing no matter where I live, I still hate it. Too hot, too cold. I have one of those over the door shoe holder things, cat likes to play with the laces so there's this THUNK sometimes when my boots hit the door when he does it. I keep tucking the laces back in, but he always manages. If I attempt to sleep in he'll be MEEEEEOOOOOORRRRRRWWWWWing at my door in the morning, it's about the only time of day he actually likes getting some attention.

Edit: Does my innate insomnia count?

Last edited:

trinityroyal

Our neighbourhood is very quiet, for the most part, so local noises don't disturb me too often.

Occasionally I get what my husband calls "brain on fire", where you just can't turn your head off.

Right now, the whole family is down for the count with sundry lung infections, fever, etc. THAT's been keeping me awake. Unlike most people who sleep a lot when they have a fever, I get manic. I've been night-prowling for the last several. In addition to the doses of medications for the kidwinks and husband-monster, my house is clean, all the laundry is done, there are a bunch of meals ready to serve in the fridge...and I haven't slept more than an hour for the last 3 or 4 nights. I feel awful, and want to lie down and sleep, but I just don't have the energy to, if that makes any sense.

Star*

call 911........call 911
This ruddy bird.......

WHO COOKS FOR YOU?? WHO COOKS FOR YOU???
and then? and then Pootie barks, growls, and we get everyone settled down, and then this bloody thing sounds off.....
and.he.never.shuts.up. Never.never.never. He's whipping will all night long.

If it were not illegal, and I had night scope vision.........I'd have owl for Thanksgiving. Maybe with HIM out of the way? Old Whippin Will would tick a beak.

donna723

I live right next to a city-owned parking lot that the local kids have turned into 'party central' so I have the same problem with the loud noise. You can't even call it 'music' because all I can hear, or rather feel, is the bass that rattles the glass in my windows.

And I have four dogs. Only one sleeps with me but that doesn't mean she stays put all night. She's up, she's down, she's patrolling the house, she's getting a drink of water, she's back again. And because she insists on being under the covers with me, she paws at my shoulder until I lift up the blankets and let her back in. It's funny but even though she's a pain in the rear, after having her sleeping with me every night for eight years, I find it very difficult to sleep without her snuggled up against me!

Star*

call 911........call 911
OH Ohhhhhhhhhh and when I dooooooo finally get to sleep? And that crazy owl stops calling his cousin the Whipporwhil, and Pootie stops growling and barking at them AND the squirrel in the attic and I drift off into the land of stables and donkeys? Then the big dog comes and stands on the side of my bed and stares. JUST STARES....like a child who had a bad dream, wanting to get into bed, afraid of the boogie man. STARES AND STARES and if you don't open your Mommy eyes and acknowledge that all 140 lbs of his furry, white, nearly glow in the dark yellow eyes are standing there staring at you? He huffs........and huffs........and hufffffffffffffffs....................then pause......(dramatic) then huffs, and huffs, and finally at all final cost he whines this low, long, pathetic, dying calf in a hail storm, hound of the baskervilles howl..........and at that point I'm not up? Pootie is on my face practically sitting on my chest as if to say "WHIPPORWHIL, OWL, SQUIRREL and NOW DUMB BROTHER.....I AM NOT GETTING MY PRINCESS BEAUTY SLEEP AND HEADS WILL ROLL!"

.....there is no rest for the wicked. Wish Harry Potter's crew had come HERE looking for this foul fowl. OH and his call to his mate? RIDICULOUS.....sounds like 2 Bobcats in a Gunnysack having their way with each other.

KTMom91

Too much thinking, Hubby's snoring, body aching, and Bud hearing everything that's going on outside and commenting on it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
ROFLMAO Star!!!

The knowledge that I have to get up before 6am will do it everytime. I can go to bed really early, I can go to bed late. Doesn't matter. All I need to know is I have to be awake before 6am and I will NOT go to sleep. Today was such a day. Had to be up by 5am to get to easy child's to watch the boys. :tongue:

Is the reason I plan to work 3rd shift. lol

Crickets. I really hate crickets. Crickets ruined my love of camping. Regardless of where we place our tent a cricket will park it's fanny right next to it and "sing" all night long. Crickets are the reason I sleep with a box fan set on high even in the winter, even though our bedroom has no heat.

I'm afraid if either Star's owl or your bird lived near me I'd have to break a law or three and shoot them. omg!

SRL

My cat, who likes to be fed and go outside at 4am. In the fall when that time change happens he wakes me up in the blasted middle of the night.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Worry. I'm not much of a worrier so when something gives me concern, I find I am up a lot during the night.
I still have "mommy hearing and mommy sleep" If the dogs move around, I hear them. If husband is restless, I wake up. If anyone is up in the night, I wake up.
Of course, if the dogs hear something outside,
it's a big barking party.
Sometimes in the spring, the birds will wake me up too.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
husband's laptop (he has learned to turn it off at bedtime though), his cell phone getting texts (mine are set to not arrive between 11 PM and 5 AM though I can sleep through them), Onyxx forgetting we are right.below.her.room. and her radio being too loud (though too loud for me, at bedtime, is probably barely audible to most people), the TV, people walking upstairs. Worrying about the kids. Pain only rarely, I'm pretty blessed to not usually hurt much. (TOOTHACHES, though, will keep me awake for DAYS.)

Mattsmom277

Silence. Complete silence disturbs my sleep. Don't get me wrong, I don't want "noise" perse. But I do loathe complete silence. I am often awakened by the 2 cats using my head as a spring board to launch onto the window sill behind my headboard. Urgh! I've taken to shutting them out of the room at night, but plan this weekend to have S/O move the furniture so we aren't around the window ledge. Kind of miss the purring kitties snuggling up when they tire of stalking the window. We keep a ceiling fan going and a table fan going, for white noise.

I bought a white noise machine last week at Walmart for a gift for S/O for Christmas (should gift it to myself haha). It is by Homemedics and was only about $15.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Hmmm....

Summertime: cars with loud stereos cutting through our otherwise quiet neighborhood; the morning birds (at 4AM?!); crickets & bullfrogs; too hot or too cold.

Wintertime: the heat kicking in, too hot, too cold, heavy winds howling.

Year-round: H's snoring and gasping for air, the dogs barking at nighttime noises like the heat kicking in, crickets and bullfrogs, and loud cars, night sweats and hot flashes.