What do you think> Learning Disability (LD)?

H

HaoZi

I wish they'd allow paddling in our districts. Now, it wouldn't scare Onyxx, or even hurt, but she'd either learn restraint or they'd help us get her more help...

I recall it hurting, but part of it is also the humiliation of it. Every teacher had a paddle with their name on it, and if you (or your and friends) were bad enough to get it, everything stopped. You were brought to the front of the classroom, facing the chalk board (remember those things? kiddo has no clue, they use dry erase boards in her school), and the teacher would spank you in front of the whole class. If there were several of you, she would go down the line.

And Janet, that's priceless!

DDD

No matter the circumstance I would not allow a stranger to paddle my child. Period. Zip. End of discussion. On the other hand I still (18 years later) can't believe that easy child/difficult child got a one day out of school suspension when he was six years old and put a tomato slice on his head in the cafeteria! :groan: DDD

DammitJanet

The paddling thing is a huge controversy. I had thought it had been done away with myself but maybe not. In the school district here, we were not allowed to opt out. In SC, we could but it caused some serious problems with how they chose to discipline the child.

When Billy was in first grade I believe he had finally been dxd with learning disabilities in written expression and math at the time. Math fell away later but written expression has stayed forever. If he had been tested now, he would have gotten the Aspie diagnosis with dysgraphia.

Well...it was Valentine's Day. First grade. They had some unimportant seat work that he had to copy and he simply couldnt do it. This should have been covered by his IEP but do remember this was my very beginning of my introduction to Special Education so I was a novice...lol. I only knew about getting him tested for Learning Disability (LD)'s because he had a very good K teacher who had a Learning Disability (LD) boy herself. Well...he couldnt manage to do his copying or thought he did it well enough and they started the Valentines party. He got his cupcake. The teachers went bonkers! They wanted to paddle him for eating his cupcake before his entire sheet of seat work was complete.

I went off on them. Over my dead body. Literally. Then they wanted to suspend him. Again...over my dead body. It was a cupcake. He didnt do a darned thing wrong....they did. We went rounds.

On the other hand...Cory and even Jamie, needed to know that if they chose to show their behinds and break the rules, someone was gonna put them in their place. Actually, Jamie got threatened once. That was all it took. I think Cory actually got paddled once. He almost got it twice. The first time was the time I told you about and the other was in 5th grade and we took him in and the principal attempted to do it but Cory was one of those who danced when he got a whipping so you never knew where you were going to hit him. So the principal was holding his arm and Cory was going in circles jumping up and down, around and around they went. I dont think the paddle ever landed a strike. Ticked the guy off and he refused to continue because if he struck him in a bad place it would come back to bite him. That was about the end of Corys paddling days.