What Fun Thing Have You Always Wanted To do? (Non-difficult child)

Lil

Art & Creepy -- Art = Yes! Creepy = depends. :) Is the crypt part of the catacombs? But we frequent galleries & museums often.

The crypt is not part of the catacombs. If I recall correctly the Capuchin monks moved a cemetery as none are allowed within the city walls of Rome, they have literally made decorations out of their Brothers. It's really amazing in a weird way.

http://www.italysbestrome.com/capuchin-crypt-and-museum-tour/

Buffalo Mozzarella Cheese -- Never heard of it. Will look for it now. Thanks!

It's made from water buffalo milk and is most common in the Campania region, but you can get it anywhere. YUM!

CULTURE WEEK --- BEST TIP! I looked it up online. We're there 4/13 - 4/25. Independence Day is 4/21. Says there are big festivities as the Colosseum. On it! What a serendipitous bit of timing we knew nothing about! THANK YOU, Lil, for enlightening us!

That's awesome! It'll save you quite a bit too, with all the free museums and such!

As for planning trips..... Well, we're hit-and-miss on that. Depends. Sometimes we like the thrill of freestyling it. For Italy, because we have limited time, we will definitely strategize (limited time/money. But we do like the freestyling, too.

With the time limit, I'd suggest just make a list of what you want to see and try to group them together with what's easy to hit together. For instance, the Vatican is just pretty much going to take all day, with the museum and St. Peters. You can see the Forum and the Colosseum the same day, with probably the Pantheon or maybe a museum. Like that. If you do the Borghese Gallery and you have a few, the Capuchin Crypt is a short trip from there...or just buy some food, take a break and picnic in the Gallery gardens, they are beautiful. I'm so jealous. I'd love to go back!

Growing up, our neighbors used to houseboat for a week every summer on Lake Shasta.

I was born in Mt. Shasta! Of course, we left when I was a baby, but I've been back a couple times. Beautiful!

I loved that it didn't feel crowded. You see other boaters but Lake Powell is so large there's plenty of room for everyone.

I'd never even heard of Lake Powell...I just googled it and looks like the cooler weather would be awesome. I hadn't even thought of something like a houseboat. What a great get-away idea!

There is a funny story attached to this event.......we traveled down the Amazon 35 miles from the nearest town, in a thatched roof boat. We walked about 1 mile in to the jungle to a small village of these very short natives who still did head hunting since you could see shrunken heads on poles around the village. We were told to bring trinkets like mirrors, combs, etc. to trade for blow "guns" and other native items.

What a great story! A bit TOO exciting for me! LOL

So Jabber and I spent our day looking for vacation property. He wants a place to hunt. I want to put a little cabin on it so I can relax and enjoy nature, preferably with a flush toilet, but I'm a country girl...I can survive. :) We have been planning for some time to move to a place with acreage, but really, our budget may not let us find a house with 10+ acres close enough to work...but we could get 10+ acres an hour or so away and spend the weekends there now and then, then maybe find a house with 2-5 acres so the neighbors aren't on top of us and I can have a nice garden, some fruit trees and a little coop with three fat hens. :)

HeadlightsMom

Wow! What terrific responses from you all! Yes, we use TripAdvisor and Rick Steves, also. Plus we're big fans of Anthony Bourdain -- he's so SNARKY! Love him! Particularly "Parts Unknown".

Tanya M -- Thanks for elaborating on your hot air balloon ride! Never really thought about it much before. But now I think I will! Sounds panoramically-spectacular! And, see, now you've got us all wanting to houseboat on Lake Powell! (which I've never done before, either). And I looked at that crystal cave in Mexico more. Will look forward to that!

RE -- Just when I thought the headhunter story couldn't get any better! Blow dart contest and jungle chase? Epic! But, uh.....don't do that again! Scarin' me a little for ya, there! As for Alaska Cruise, that's on our agenda (haven't been to AK yet, which is downright silly because I have several friends there -- Anchorage, Juneau and Ketchikan. We don't even have to go anywhere to catch the ship! husband and I scouted it out (soliciting advice from our AK friends) and it's VERY affordable from Seattle. They say go in May/June, for best weather and glacier/viewing combo. We opted to wait on it as it's such an easy trip for us. But it will happen! And thank you, RE, for your Italy tips! Not sure if we'll hit Florence, but, you never know!

Lil -- Thank you for your elaboration on your Rome/Amalfi Coast tips! Already shared 'em with husband and we'll see which things we haggle about seeing. ;) And I'll tell you this.... much hankering for that Buffalo Mozzarella Cheese now! Also, thanks for your elaboration, specifically, on the crypts. Will Google that in more detail. We did something similar in Guanajuato, MX (Museo de Las Momias).......which has quite a story behind it. Basically, the native minerals in the cemetery produced semi-mumification naturally. Relatives must pay taxes to keep their loved ones buried. When the relatives don't pay the taxes, the bodies are exhumed (no lie) and placed on display in this "museum". My Spanish wasn't good enough to decipher that BEFORE we went in. Took us about 15-20 min to figure out that something was verrrrrry different. LOL! Thinking your crypts might be interesting?

Lil & Jabber -- Read your bit about acreage. I like your description of your plans and wants. Absolutely get your drift and relate! Wanted to share with you that husband and I had a similar plan (once upon a time). We city/suburban people by nature. But we wanted a getaway/retirement spot for outdoor activities. In 2004 we bought 5 acres out in the woods near a very large body of water (with several lakes nearby, too). We spent 2 years bulldozing, burning slash piles, having work parties (invite friends -- of us adults and young teen friends of difficult child -- clear land, lay pipe, etc, then eat a bunch, then ride quads and motorcycles (we had our own) in the woods, swim in lakes and target shoot for a while until we were absolutely beat!

Our original plan was to build a yurt to live in (husband is endlessly adventurous). I thought I was ok with that, but when a bear turned up on our property, I promptly changed my mind! LOL! We eventually had a house built (snazzy manufactured cabin), but only lived there less than 1 year before we sold (gravely underestimated our commutes to work!).

But the reason I bring it up is that this property made a HUGE difference in our family. Though we only had it for 3 years, it always refreshed husband and me. And, for whatever reason, it usually resonated very well with difficult child. It's the one place we could really teach him a solid work ethic. He laughed a lot out there (which is unusual). Taught difficult child and 2 of his friends how to drive (they were 14-15) out in those back woodsy roads. Those boys just loved playing in the woods! And all of our adult friends we bought thoroughly laughed and loved it, too. With the exception of 1 bad difficult child incident (highway incident), difficult child and ALL of us always had a great time. That property was one of my favorite places for our family.

Things change, we sold it, and now we're back in the city. But that property in the woods was invaluable to us on so many levels! And I'm so very grateful for our time there!

Lil & Jabber -- When I read of your plans there, I envision such a fabulous time for you in such a dream setting, also! You know what you want and how to get it. I can't wait to hear where and what you guys decide upon when you find the place that's just right for you!

One of the fun things that sticks in my mind is the day we decided to go to a nude beach for the day. Started out a little frightening and by the end of the day I was jumping through the waves hand in hand with husband. It really turned out to be so much fun. It is quite true about what they say. The people at nude beaches shouldn't go nude at all. That was the freeing part. We are no beauties,but we and everyone around us was there to have a fun day at the beach. It turned out to be the day I started to except myself physically with all my jiggly parts included. Pure fun.
Two wonderful African Safaris turned out to be life changing. Fun, exciting beyond what we could have imagined.
This past fall we got to go to florida for three weeks. Spending time with my husband being busy or just soaking up the rays was fun/satisfying. When we were in Florida we ended up buying a condo. We are on the cusp of the next fun stage of our lives. We are preparing for our retirement as snow birds. My husband is 15 years senior to me and we are celebrating our 7 year anniversary today. I am so excited to spend my time with my husband just to have the everyday kinds of fun as we start this new phase of our lives. We have decided that we will take these opportunities now as we all know, there is no promise of tomorrow.

Lil

Thinking your crypts might be interesting?

Oh, one more thing, it's tiny...like six rooms...and it's free. (Suggested donation and they don't allow photography, so you have to buy post cards if you want photos.)

On the property front...I promised Jabber 13 1/2 years ago that he could buy hunting property in five if we lived in town. So, yeah, I think it's time. :) I like the idea...we can buy little cabin/sheds pretty cheap. And I can sleep in a hammock while Jabber tries to kill something. :) Life could be good. LOL

Jabberwockey

Life could be good. LOL

For the record, this is a vacation property. We wont be living there unless we happen to find a property within our driving distance when we sell our current home and move that has sufficient acreage for me to be able to hunt on.

Lil

For the record, this is a vacation property. We wont be living there unless we happen to find a property within our driving distance when we sell our current home and move that has sufficient acreage for me to be able to hunt on.

Buying a piece of undeveloped hunting land relatively cheaply gives us the option of buying smaller acreage closer to work when we sell. I'd love to have it all be one piece...but really, we can't afford large acreage close to here. Also, if we could, it wouldn't be as soon. I'm liking the idea of a cabin with no cell signal every now and then. :)

BusynMember

:devilish:I have a new bucket wish.

If you read what ex said to my daughter today, you'd get it. Short version, he told her to prostitute herself if she was so short of money.

I would LOVE to be able to strangle him unconscious and not get into trouble. That would give me pleasure, especially right now :devilish: That would be better than one cross country trip in an RV at this point in time.

No, I wouldn't want to kill him. I want him to be alive to see what saying those things to your sweet daughter does to your relationship with her.

Scent of Cedar *

Basically, the native minerals in the cemetery produced semi-mumification naturally. Relatives must pay taxes to keep their loved ones buried. When the relatives don't pay the taxes, the bodies are exhumed (no lie) and placed on display in this "museum".

How does that go? Fact is stranger than fiction!

One of the fun things that sticks in my mind is the day we decided to go to a nude beach for the day.

I would do this in a minute.

We rented a condo on the beach with a rooftop garden once. I was able to tan topless there and it was amazing.

:O)

It turned out to be the
day I started to except myself physically with all my jiggly parts included.

That is what ballet taught me. To accept my body as it was, to get it that it was as it was meant to be. Sweat, okay. Strength, okay. Beauty, okay.

Suddenly, I was mine, and no one else's, at all.

That has never left me.

Good for you! I love that you did this.

We are on the cusp of the next fun stage of our lives. We are preparing for our retirement as snow birds

Ha! Good for you. There is always a party, a meeting, a run, an event, a class, a fishing trip, a dinner cruise. We are all down here from everywhere in the world. It's an amazing place to be, and I am happy for you both!

Great thread!

Cedar