What is the function of a mid-wife?

Lil

Half of (any professional designation, take your pick) graduated in the bottom half of their class. There are good ones, exceptional ones, and horrid ones. It's life - they are people.

What do you call a person who graduated last in their class in medical school?

Doctor. :)

No experience with midwives, but they are quite common in other countries. I wouldn't have been a candidate...high risk.

I have had more compassion from nurses than doctors in my experience. But they are all different. I've had good doctors and bad doctors, good nurses and bad nurses.

My most recent OBGYN experience was very unsettling. Being well past baby age, I'm having some menopause problems, so I asked a primary care doctor for a recommendation. She recommended an older man who has quit doing babies and deals pretty much exclusively with perimenopause and such. I don't mind a male doctor, but he literally talked to me 2 minutes to get the symptoms and I was up in the stirrups, no nurse, and I'm not even 100% sure he wore two gloves. In and out in 10 minutes tops. I'll never go back. I've certainly had better experiences from nurse practitioners.

New Leaf

Our midwives also work at hospitals. During pregnancy, if nothing is wrong, you have few appointments with a doctor and many more with midwife.
Suzir I wish I gave birth in your country. I was fortunate to have fairly uncomplicated pregnancies and preferred to labor naturally.
That is just me, no judgement on folks with different opines.
My first was hard, laboring naturally was really frowned upon. Hubs was supposed to be my coach and the nurses told him to go in the waiting room and get some sleep, it would be a long night! So, I was left alone all night during the most intense parts of labor. There were no midwives available in the 70's, just doctors who were used to medically managed birthing.
In the hospital, I wanted to be able to move about as labor intensified. This bothered the staff, as they are trained to record contractions and babies heartbeat with a belt on your belly hooked up to a monitor. When I gave birth it was routine to be forced to lay in bed as labor progressed, hooked up to monitors and iv.This made laboring naturally extremely uncomfortable, the nurses would come in and offer an epidural, then role their eyeballs at my refusal. It felt more like baby factory central, tiny sparse labor rooms, then one was wheeled into a delivery room to deliver.
I labored at home with subsequent pregnancies, as long as I could, knowing that the hospital would confine me to a bed and hook me up with an iv, pronto. It does not help the baby move down into the birth canal, flat on your back, it is very uncomfortable and anti gravitational, really. Walking, standing and rocking, or sitting on a labor ball, is the way to go when laboring without epidural.
It is not that I liked birth pangs, but did not want a routine epidural as I had read it actually slows and complicates the course. I read a lot about conventional hospital births. Maybe too much, lol.
There is a high rate of c- sections attributed to epidurals.

Pitocin to hurry labor up is also another routine in the hospital. It seems there was an expected time frame to give birth and if labor slowed, pitocin was given to increase the intensity of contractions. This can also cause complications. It is very difficult to labor naturally with pitocin, it can cause contractions to become too strong, prolonged and stress the baby. The contractions come in huge peaks with little rest in between.There are studies now on adverse side effects of pitocin use on newborns.

It is a difficult profession, being an ob/gyn, with two lives to be responsible for. Their insurance is astronomical. I understand the pressure on doctors and hospital staff.
There have been a great many lives saved by modern standards and medical intervention.

I do think that women should have a choice, pregnancy and birth is not an illness. If a woman wants a less medically managed birth, and is able to have that, it should be supported.

There has been a return to some of the old ways, with family allowed to be with laboring mothers and attend births. Doulas are becoming popular, people who are trained to assist a mother throughout the process.
I have been blessed with helping a few of my friends, sister in law, niece and my daughters through birth, as a labor coach. I have seen very medically managed births that led to c-sections. One of my friends was induced early because the doctor estimated the baby to be too large from an ultrasound. She was induced, her labor did not progress and she ended up having a c- section, her baby was only six pounds.
My sister in law had an epidural, labored on her back hooked up to monitors and ended up with a c- section.The baby was not stressed or anything, it seemed that the doctor felt it was taking too long. This was my sister in laws first baby and she was at about the six hour mark when offered the c-section. I was mortified and thought it was uncalled for. I'm no doctor, but honestly six hours then straight to a surgical birth?
My niece, a much smaller hipped woman gave birth naturally to all three of her babies. Albeit, not easy deliveries, her second child was difficult to push out, her doctor allowed us to improvise and my niece successfully delivered standing up.
My daughters second child was thought to be high risk due to ultra sound predictions of over nine pounds. The doctor suggested c-section from the get go. We talked and she acquiesced to at least let my daughter try to give birth vaginally. Daughter ended up laboring and delivering without complications. She also went the natural route as her first delivery she was given an epidural and my grandsons heart rate dropped dangerously low soon after. That was scary........

The most peaceful birth I attended was for a dear friend. She was free to move about and remained upright for most of her labor. Just before delivering she sat and rocked on a birthing ball, this helped to move the baby down. I focused with her on breathing exercises, as another friend applied constant pressure to her lower back. Her baby came into the world, wide eyed and hungry, put right to her breast and began nursing. The lights were dimmed and we had classical music playing softly.

I used to watch a show years ago about a midwife and her practice. She had a full staff, and a home type setting in her clinic. Of course, in order for a woman to be able to give birth with this scenario, one has to have an uncomplicated low risk pregnancy. These women labored and gave birth in birthing tubs. It was beautiful. So different from the hospital with all of the monitors and equipment beeping, the constant checking for dilation.

In ancient Hawaii, the stories of old tell of the entire family being involved in birth. The women, grandmothers, aunties attending to the laboring mother, massaging and helping her through the process.
I am glad that hospitals now have family birthing centers, and encourage families to assist mothers in labor. I like the idea of midwives being available in hospitals, that seems to be a win-win for those who want a more natural birth as opposed to medically managed........

It is an intense and beautiful thing to watch a child come into this world.

leafy

New Leaf

he literally talked to me 2 minutes to get the symptoms and I was up in the stirrups, no nurse, and I'm not even 100% sure he wore two gloves. In and out in 10 minutes tops.
Ewwww Lil, that is highly unprofessional. It is already an undignified position for us to be in. No nurse, a BIG no-no. I hope you found a better GYN. I am still looking. I had issues too, and went to a doctor recommended by a friend. Didn't like his "stirrup side" manner either, on a second visit, he had forgotten that he did an internal ultrasound on the first. Hello? You stuck a remote control device all up in there where the sun don't shine and dallied a bit long then forgot about it?
I sure didn't.

He was talking hysterectomy from the first visit. Uh no, I thought (I am not one to jump at the chance of having my God given lady parts removed unless it is absolutely necessary.)
Anywho, never went back.
UGH. Not fun. Hope you found a better, caring, kind doctor.
I think we have become numbers to a lot of them.
Helloooooo, person here under the paper sheet............
leafy

Lil

No...I haven't been back to any doctor since then. I've only ever seen the doctor that referred me once. I have to schedule my well-woman exam soon for insurance so I'll see her again. I think I'll just take word of mouth from women friends to find a female GYN next time. There are some others I've been referred to.

donna723

I might be wrong but I think in the US all licensed midwives work under the supervision of an MD. For uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries they would be ideal. But you never know what's going to happen. There should be a doctor and a good hospital in case of an emergency. I would NEVER have been one of those adventurous ones to attempt a home birth. You need to be in a hospital where there is the proper equipment to detect possible problems. When my daughter was born the monitors detected a sudden problem that occurred during labor. Had my beloved OB not been right there and rushed me in to surgery within minutes, my daughter might have been stillborn or brain damaged from lack of oxygen. And years later when she had her own baby, he was born healthy and normal only because her own doctor was right there to do an emergency C-section as soon as a sudden issue was detected. Childbirth is one thing I would just never take any chances with.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My mother had a couple of more miscarriages before carrying my sister for 8 mos, when she suffered another placenta previa and had another emergency c-section.

After that, while being knocked out for the surgery, she told the surgeon to tie her tubes.

Interestingly, her sister was totally unable to conceive. I conceived once, at 19, and miscarried 2 days before I was scheduled for an abortion. I already so badly damaged inside from endometreosis that when they did the D&C, the surgeon told me he couldn't figure out how on earth i got pregnant in the first place.
That was as close as I ever got to parenthood as i was never able to concieve again.

BusynMember

God help me , GN. I can not IMAGINE in my worst nightmares going to a MALE mental health professional. I mean...how in hello could s man ever understand a woman?????

Good decision to choose a female, GN.

by the way, glad you were in good hands in the hospital when you were pregnant.

BusynMember

Also want to commend those braves souls who wanted a natural childbirth. Chicken that I am, I wanted as little pain as possible so I choose an epidural and felt no pain. Four hours later, bart was ready to join our world but he was too large for me. Nobody expected him to be over 8 lbs, (no sonograms then). His head finally pushed out, but it was hit or miss for a c section and I just wanted the best for my son.

He joined the world at 8 lbs. 4 oz. (My hips were small and my weight normally was 93). Bart was big and healthy, apgar 9. I watched his birth in a mirror and am happy with my experience and did not miss not having pain. Again...pluck, pluck, pluck.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, when you live in an extremely small town and are using county services, you take what you can get when it comes to psychiatrists.

I'm still using country services here in Milwaukee county, but got a female this time. Granted, she's a PA, not a MD, but for medication mgmt, she's just the ticket.

InsaneCdn

I would NEVER have been one of those adventurous ones to attempt a home birth. You need to be in a hospital where there is the proper equipment to detect possible problems.
Sure. Good in theory. And then there are some who... plan to give birth in the hospital and don't actually GET there. When it comes to childbirth, there's at least a thousand variations.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yep. husband helped deliver a baby in the back of his cab in Milwaukee many years ago.

Mom was very apologetic as the last two times, she'd at least barely made it to the hospital.

Normal delivery. Stu said all he did was "catch the baby" clean it up and make sure it was breathing, cut the cord once it quit pulsating. He put the placenta in a plastic bag for the doctor to look at and wrapped the baby up in his quilted flannel jacket.

Somewhere in Milwaukee, there is a 38 year old Hispanic woman whose middle name is "Estuarta"

We were invited to her quinceanera but were unable to attend. Also thought it might be embarrassing to the girl to have to introduce the cabbie who had delivered her to all her friends and family.

Mom said that the next time, she was hiring a midwife and delivering at home as she feared the next one would be born on the stairs leading to her flat.

Now, she would be an ideal candidate for a midwife: normal, uncomplicated deliveries that went VERY quickly, and big,healthy babies that had no problems with breathing or nursing.

Stu said the little girl was screaming as soon as her head was born and didn't shut up until she was put to the breast.

BusynMember

Estuarta. I love it, GN.

My husband wouldnt watch Jumpers birth when her birthmother offered and seemed totally at ease with the idea. I watched, but he felt uncomfortable and shy about seeing her that way since she wasnt his wife. So I got to see, he didnt, and I was happily seeing her join the world, feeling badly as birthmother screamed in pain.

Actually, she was the perfect adoption and she in my opinion is the perfect daughter and has been since I held her before anyone else.

Seriously though kudos to Stu. My husband would have freaked out in the same situation. Im sure he would have done what he had to do, but would not have felt comfortable.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Stu took a 'combat lifesaving' course while he was in the Army, and they saw a quick movie on delivering a baby.

He said one thing he remembered from the movie was a big help: that you have to sort of turn the shoulders as the head is born so the shoulders don't get stuck in the pelvis.

He remembered being worried that his nails were raggedy and none too clean.

Once all the excitement was over with, the mother was all set to go home with her daughter. Stu insisted they go to the hospital to be checked over and drove them there.

And, after all that heroism, Stu had to pay out of pocket to have the cab detailed.

svengandhi

I had midwives at all 5 of my deliveries. The first 3 were delivered by the midwife. The 4th turned out to be buttocks breech and was delivered by section. When my 5th and last was born, 17 years ago, they were still doing vbac's and I was cleared for one because the reason for my section was that the last baby had been in a bad position.

When I got to the hospital for the last one, the midwife (a retired nun) took out her medal of St. Gerard (the patron saint of difficult deliveries... this was very ironic because I am Jewish but H's confirmation name is, of all things, Gerard) and hooked me to an IV. She also called the doctor to come. 5 minutes later, I ruptured and began bleeding out. I had a crash section and didn't die because I already had an IV in to get the anesthesia going and because she had called the doctor to come. Years later, I learned that 7 years earlier, the same midwife had waited too long to call the doctor and a baby was delivered who developed CP. I know that because I coincidentally became very close friends with the mother of that boy and we figured it out when we were sharing birth stories one day. My son knows that he owes his life to the fact that the midwife learned from her mistake years before and he is always very kind when he encounters the other young man. After my son's birth, the practice stopped doing vbac's altogether.

Overall, I would highly recommend midwives to healthy women. My one caveat is that I would only deliver in a hospital - not in a free standing birthing center or at home. Too many things can go wrong. I know that, for me, I would never have been able to live with myself if anything happened to my child because I chose to deliver at home.

I didn't buy into some of the midwife stuff, though. When I had the third one, the 2 oldest (just turned 4 and almost 3) visited me in the room until just before I was given Pitocin (I was induced for pre-eclampsia 3 weeks early) and then they went home. I don't believe in having children present at deliveries if it can be avoided although midwives are okay with it.

I was very fortunate not to develop post-partum depression issues though I firmly believe that it is something that exists and that all women should be screened for.

The last thing is that I had my first child at 31 and the last 8 1/2 years later, which is considered kind of old.

svengandhi

Somewhere -

To answer your specific questions - midwifery licensure varies by state. In my state, they are required to have significant training and have more than adequate knowledge to perform a routine delivery. They were definitely more attuned to my emotional well-being than the gynecologist I had originally used in my first pregnancy. That guy actually told my H to get a girlfriend for the rest of my pregnancy and not bother me anymore! The next day was when I moved to the midwives.

My belief is that post-partum depression and/or psychosis are hormonally triggered and that some people may be more predisposed to it. I remember sobbing like a lunatic when my firstborn was 3 days old because my father told me he wasn't coming to the bris because my H wasn't Jewish. Ordinarily, nothing my dad ever said to me upset me. The midwife told me when I called her panicked that the hormones are the highest on the third day and that I should return to normal by the next day but to call her immediately on the 5th day if I wasn't okay. She then called back and told H the same thing... Luckily, I was fine by day 4, but that day 3 feeling was so awful that I feel for anyone who had ppd.

BusynMember

Thank you, sven. I think the hospital part is important with or without a doctor. You dont know for sure if the birth will be typical until the birth. As for being attuned to emotions, I am so sure that is importsnt to many women. I like that too. But medical expertise trumps that for me. If I had emotional issues (and I did...big ones) I spoke to my doctors nurse. In the end, I became suicidal and admitted myself to a psyche hospital so my pregnancy was different from the second tri_mester to my sons difficult birth.

Thanks all for the clarification.