What is with this Weather?? Mores Specifically the Rain??

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We had 19 straight days of rain. One day where it didn't. Then again today.

Not just rain, mind you, but these torrential downpours where you can't see a couple of feet in front of your face. Pounding downpours where visibility almost doesn't exist. ugh

I got caught in one on the way home from orientation. Now the factory is about 10 miles out of town in another small town. I don't have reason to normally drive that particular highway much, so I don't know the road that well. And whammo! We get hit with one of the rains were you're lucky if you can see past the windsheild. I was literally driving on a few inches of water on the highway instead of pavement and battling the strong winds all at the same time. Too much of the time I wasn't even sure I was on the darn road at all. omg

My town is named Hillsboro for a reason, folks. lol The main street coming in to town was like driving in a creek. I opted out of my usual back way route (avoids traffic) because to turn I'd have had to drive through a rather large pond in the center of the road.

I've never seen rain like this.......not over and over and over and over again like we've gotten all year.

My poor garden. Weeds are quickly gaining on the plants.........last storm flattened half my tomato plants, some I saved......but I bet their on the ground again with more added to them after today's storm.

I got home to a frustrated Travis. He said one minute it was just clouding up with a nice breeze and the next it was like someone turned on a spigot and he had to run all over the house shutting windows as fast as he could.

Just unbelievable. I normally don't like to complain about rain...............I mean, we were in pretty bad drought last year..........but holy moly!

At least I got the yard mowed yesterday.

DammitJanet

Your grass will be a foot high by the weekend...lol. We have had awful rain like that recently but its been bad rain for a few hours then it lets off...then downpour...cant see...lets off...for days on end. Hard for working outside folks.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sounds like us all of June. Today we picked up another 1.3 inches in a very short amount of time!

Jody

We are not getting much here at all. I few sprinkles and then it blows over. My flowers, and veggies need it bad!!! It is very super humid here too, I cannot breath in this heat. I so hope we don't have a drought. Why is it always feast or famine?

Wiped Out

Staff member
Along with the rains we have swarms (and I do mean swarms) of nasty mosquitoes. Someone was dropping something off at our house yesterday and couldn't believe the number of mosquitoes just going from her vehicle to our door.

Our poor Ella goes outside and even though she has been treated still gets mosquito bites around her eyes.

InsaneCdn

When the air temp goes up one degree (Celsius), it holds 7% more water.
In other words... there's more water up there to come down, so we get more downpours than showers.
It's the same here.

witzend

I know that it rains much harder here than it does in Oregon. And the thunder is something to behold. I never thought you could walk down the street in a rainstorm and have the water in the gutters be warmer than bathwater!

But I got such a chuckle today when the news came on and the Anchor-Duo exclaimed with such serious faces, "Believe it or not, our weathergirl is forecasting rain again tonight! That makes 17 straight days with rain! When will it stop?" Geez, I left Oregon because we went 97 straight days without a lick of sunshine. These people down here would die a thousand deaths before they had to put up with that! 28 days is the record there for measurable rain, but there were many times that it drizzled for weeks and you had to call it "a trace" so it didn't count, and you didn't see the sun for literally months on end. Hey, at least the sun shines between the showers here. :)

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Mosquitoes are bad this year, yes. I empty anything thing that holds water outside..........and they are still bad. Last year it was fleas, this year mosquitoes.

We don't normally get this much rain. April is a fairly rainy month. But it's like we're stuck in a perpetual April.........and even the temps aren't very hot. It's the humidity that is killing us. Sticky sticky sticky and it never lets up. It has taken forever for me to get used to the humidity.

I am not so inclined to let it depress me. Like I said, last year it was drought. But these downpours are dangerous to get caught in while driving.........even more so on a highway. In town driving visibility was very low. Highway is was non existent. I'm surprised I didn't hydroplane off the road because most of the time my tires were not in contact with pavement, but water.

We've had such storms before. But not every single darn time it rains. If I'd been driving home at night when it hit........well, I'd rather not think about it. I do know I'm going to start pegging places to pull off along the side of the road along the route in case I need to in the future.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I am not a fan of air conditioning... But this morning I didn't even have the sun roof open in my car. Walking into the warehouse at work is like a full-body swimming pool. I've been in saunas that were less humid. And I've been sweating a lot this year anyway.

Our grass is growing, but interestingly I think it's waterlogged because it isn't growing fast! It's been over two weeks since Jett mowed and it's just now getting close to needing it. MAYBE by this weekend.

I want to take Inky out to her little pool on the deck (it's full of rainwater, LOL), but it keeps storming. Ugh. She's been in it ONCE this summer.

Jody

Okay this morning finally a great big rain, hard steady and still going. Thank goodness, my plants needed it and so did my grass. Added plus the van is getting the bird **** washed off. Win, win.

Kathy813

Staff member
Lisa, it must be heading up from Georgia to you. We have had a very rainy summer, too. I ready for some sunshine even though it gets very hot down here when the sun comes out. The only good thing I can say about the rain is that it has kept the temperature down.

~Kathy