What weird quirks, habits, obsessions do you have?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
OK dish. We all know we are a bit on the um, strange side at times. We know Star* loves GERMS! LOL I can see her donning the rubber gloves right now!

Any vices, loves, hates things that drive you crazy?

I'll go first:

I have a smell issue just this morning I had been smelling something in the fridge. I had to pull everything out and clean the shelves, wash them in the sink scrub it down. Litter box, house etc. I can smell things the minute I walk in. BLECH!

Touch: I hate the feel of cotton balls, cardboard, tongue depressors, chalk.
Hearing the cardboard rubbing together drives me crazy.

I have issues with labels on things, like a bottle of lotion: I will peel it off. ANything that can be peeled off I have to peel it off... mostly plastic things. I like them to look clean and clear.

Right when I get a magazine I have to pull out any of the hard or stiff inserts. Even the ones that I have to rip out, I have wrecked magazines doing this.

If I think something is out of place I HAVE to go and fix it. even if I tell myself not to.

I am sure there is more, but that is a start.
I don't think I have any food issues. Besides not putting it in my mouth! LOL

goldenguru

Hmmm.

Food issues? I just recently had to quit eating meat. It just plain gags me.

I'm a little weird about laundry - like I LOVE to do it. I have seriously thought about opening a nice laundry service.

I'm obsessive about my house being tidy - well even the yard being tidy (like doggie piles out in the grass set me crazy). I can't leave the house unless it's in order. I can't go to bed at night unless it's in order. I can't even sit down and read a book unless the house is in order. Freud would have a time with me I tell ya!

I can't stand snoring. I've nearly committed homicide a time or two over snoring. I've been known to sleep in the bathtub in hotel rooms.

I worry. A lot. About a lot of things.

Thanks totoro. I've realized my own need for a therapist. :)

Andy

I like paperwork. You know, filling out all those forms for everything under the sun from school registration to medical record updates to whatever. Give me a piece of paper with blanks on it and I am in heaven. Feels like completing a puzzle.

I will give it some thought and watch my behaviors today to see what else. easy child will be with me today and she has a habit of pointing out my quirks.

My self esteem usually refuses to let me recognize when I do something odd. I think my kids get their stubborness from me.

skeeter

I "do" things when I'm concentrating. I chew on my tongue. I twirl my hair. I usually have no idea I'm doing it until someone points it out. I used to also bite my nails, but "cured" myself of that in high school by keeping polish on them - I haven't worn polish for many years.

I'm not Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), but I am a bit anal about things. I just changed jobs and moved into a cube that the person occupied that was in this job. He left a HUGE amount of "stuff". I'm going through every single bit of it, pitching some, organizing some, putting it where I think it needs to be. I'm not quite to 5S (for those that may have been exposed to that lovely concept), but close! And I keep absolutely everything on this computer, and back it up religiously. Every appointment, detail, etc. goes on a calendar.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Hmmmm... aside from being the perfect woman... HA!

I CANNOT STAND hearing cellophane, digging in a popcorn bucket/bag, or loud chewing/crunching in a movie theater. People who talk during movies is a close second. Drives. me. nuts.

The noisy eating thing (especially chewing with mouth open) is another thing that bugs me -- I ride difficult child 2 a little too much about that and realize I need to relax and try to tune some stuff out.

I'm a little anal about how bath towels have to be folded. It has more to do with making them all fit neatly in the linen closet than anything else (or so I'd like to think).

And folding shirts is another issue I have... husband folds them down the center, leaving a large crease. I prefer to have them with the shoulders folded in and then folded in half across the middle so the front is left as crease-free as possible. I've been known to re-do the laundry he's folded (usually just my own) if I don't like the way he's folded it.

My final laundry issue -- and maybe this is more of a husband issue -- is that he just throws whatever together in the washer without regard to fabric type. So permanent press shirts or delicates are often mixed in with jeans or towels, resulting in half the stuff not being dry at all, and the other half that is dry is mangled beyond recognition. So I guess you could say HE'S got issues and I've got issues about this. :D

That's the biggest stuff I can think of now. I'm sure there's more...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmmmm. Have to put some thought into this. But you all have to promise not to think I'm more than a bit off my rocker. lol ;)

I used to be anal over housework and the house.....teens and going back to school solved that issue. Please, if you ever visit let's go someplace else to sit and chat. (really it's that bad) Now I have to ignore it or flunk classes trying to keep up with it. I figure the classes are costing me a smallish fortune so at the moment they're the priority.

Ummmm. I think out loud. This started when my difficult children were small. They were always so loud that I could never keep a train of thought in my darn head. Now it's just habit. And I have to watch myself that I don't do it in public. lol

I refuse to own a piece of clothing with lace on it. The feel of lace will send me over the edge in nothing flat. Therefore my girls also never wore anything with lace. lol Oh, which also reminds me.......I don't "do" uncomfortable clothes. The textures have to be soft, breathe, and move easily with me or they aren't going on my body.

I'm obsessed with the Sims game. I admit it. I am horribly addicted to it. The family is currently laughing at me because sims 3 is about to come out and I'm glued to every blog containing new info on the game. I pre-ordered it for myself. (first time ever) I am counting down the days until it's release...on feb 20th. So yeah, they're laughing but easy child has been milking me for info and plans to buy it for herself, and Nichole can't wait until she can load my copy onto her computer. My kids have "grown up" with the sims, same way they've grown up with this board. lol I've been playing the game every day for the past 10 years. :D

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Ropefree

Banned
I could not believe my eyes when the first post i read starts with TONGUE CHEWING!
I have been this secret society of one person who is so embarrased and ashamed by this! I do not do it all the time, anymore. Only occationally and these days it is surprising. i just wonder, like where does this come from and WHY? Oh and Greetings sister tongue chewer...truely a pleasure to know you!

I hurt my back and that changed my life. Befor that though my house was clean and dusted and the laundry all lovely to behold because it is folded beautifully and retail ready. Since my back injury I have been reduced to someone who will sigh and say
"If someone loved me they would wash my floor". Yeah I would love to have some
clean fanatic like adopt my family even once. I was the housekeeper, amouge other things, and it will be a feature of the future ideal world that those who so lovingly
keep the rafters and the cills free from dust and webs and corners lusterous and the
surfaces and floors a pleasure to touch would have such consideration when they are broken and can not do it for themselves.

Sagegrad

I love video games! - Shooting games, alien games, war games, you name it I will play it. My current fave is World of Warcraft and yes I know I have an addictive personality so this game is very bad for me.

So theres my secret obsession.

Ahh, gloves. I'm a fan. Being a cook for several years, I've been so used to handling food with- gloves on, so I do at home as well. Mainly raw meat. My husband thinks I'm nuts. He has also been a cook, years ago, but will not use gloves. He will handle raw meat, then wash his hands, then dry them off on the kitchen towel. I have to then replace the towel with- a new one, cuz I'm worried there are raw meat germs on it! Yes, I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) on so many levels with- other things, too.... but that would be a novel. LOL

I also think out loud. Like you, Daisylover, it helps me keep thoughts in order, remember things and whatnot. I try not to do it in public, but sometimes slip. Heck, I did it a lot at my last job cooking in a busy restaurant, and it wasn't uncommon at all. All of us cooks did!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Ooh the other one I have is showers.
I am starting to think I am really weird. Or the rest of the world just does not conform to ME! LOL

If I think the shower floor is at all dirty I will wear flip-flops, like at a hotel or somewhere new.
If there is a sliding door it seriously gives me the heebies. I have no idea why, it is not a Psycho thing.
It is part cleanliness thing, in all of my low budge, squalor apartments and studios. Those were always moldy and just filthy when I moved in.
It is also just a feeling when I am closed in that tight quarter.
I can't stand it.
When we moved into our first house, the first thing we did was rip it out!!! After I had bleached it and scrubbed it.
husband thinks I am seriously crazy, when we were looking for rentals here, he would scout out the bathrooms before I had a chance to look and he would steer me away and say this one is out... I would later ask why? He would say, "You would have never been able to get into that shower without a bunch of Xanax!"

Yeah I am a freak...
At least I am able to admit these things. lol

M

ML

Like gg I too have a ruugh time relaxing if my home isn't tidy; and it's never tidy except for brief moments. I sometimes call it "my Virgo thing".

I also hate dry hands and feet. I moisturize my hands and feet all the time because I just can't stand that sandpaper feeling when my feet scratch covers.

susiestar

Roll With It
Snoring drives me nuts, esp as husband has sleep apnea. I cannot tell you how many years worth of nights I spent lying there awake so I could shake him when he didn't start breathing. It literally took almost 15 YEARS to convince husband to have it looked at!

I have MAJOR food issues. Cannot STAND to touch raw meat. Not happy about touching cooked meat, other than to eat it. Total Carnivore, that's me. But I try to limit the amount of meat to healthy portions for all of us. I cannot eat so many foods, like mushrooms. Not cooked, not raw. Recently I stopped at the Origins counter at the mall and they gave me samples of their new items with some kind of mushroom in them that is supposed to be great for your skin. Made me break out in HUGE welts. Beano does that too, only my face turns red and I can't breathe also.

Can't stand cooked broccoli unless it is the frozen chopped broccoli. Then I LOVE it. I do love the stems of broccoli steamed, but not the tops. The texture of them just makes me shudder. Mostly I hate vegetables. I eat them, because I must. but they are gross tasting.

I can eat tuna salad, but not any other tuna dish. I HATE most seafood, as does my husband.

I HAVE to have a stitching project (cross stitch) going at all times or I go nuts. But DMC has those Light Effects threads that add sparkle and have the NASTIEST texture I have ever felt. I simply cannot use them. Luckily there are plenty of other companies who make sparkly threads.

I have so many more quirks/peeves. Oh - hearing people chew will make me barf. I can't sit next to my bro at meals. And I HATE the way guys eat, stuffing as much food as possible into their mouth at once. I keep telling my guys (including husband who is the WORST - he looks like a chipmunk when he is eating) that the food isn't going to run away. They can slow down and eat.

That is probably all the peeves you want to hear from me, LOL!! Glad I am not the only "peevey" person here!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Geez...where could I start?

I'm a counter. I can tell you how many steps it is to nearly every place I go. It's 132 steps from my parking spot to the door at work. It's 8, then 7 steps to go down to my basement. It's 119 steps from my door to my inlaws.

I also count how many sips of whatever I'm drinking. Milk - 13 at a time. Water - 10. Sad to say, but it really stresses me out when I can only get 9 or 10 sips of milk because the carton is empty. Darn it all!!

I count the number of brushes I do when I brush my teeth.

I'm terrified of driving, bridges and armored cars. I got trapped once in a Taco Bell drive-through with a car in front of me and an armored car behind. I thought I was going to die. I WILL NOT go into any place where there is an armored car sitting outside. I guess that accounts for me not lasting at my bank job too long.:surprise:

I could go on and on, but you guys might think I'm a tad Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

ps...World of Warcraft? Geez. They should have special therapists for the people who play that game. (Sorry, Sagegrad - just messing with you.) If I hear H tell me one more time about what level he's on (71) and what 14 year old kid he's hunting down for hours because he was killed because the kid had invisibility on...I'll need to see the therapist.

Abbey

Sagegrad

LOL Abbey - Us WOW heads are a bunch of wackos. Tell your hubby Im a level 80...LOL and it was probably me that ambushed him...ROFL

tiredmommy

I'm a counter as well... usually parked cars per block as I drive. I really feel happy when each block has an even number of cars. I dunno why.

The dishwasher must be loaded with all like things grouped together: plates, cups, forks, etc. Not only that, but red plates must be with red plates, white with white, etc. Short glasses and tall glasses must never be mixed in. :hammer:

I must grind my teeth for the same number of times on both sides. Ex: three times right followed by three times left. This alone has done more to help me nearly stop grinding my teeth.

I also love filling out surverys!!! I am a pioneer typw person. I am attracted to the different and the exotic. I do not like conformity,materialsim, or anything that exerts toomuch control on my expressivemness. I have a pssion for thinking, politics, history. I donot like artifical, make-up. Compassion

N

Nomad

I can't stand writing in a red pen. (weird quirk)

Secret obsession...definatey reading magazine articles. Recently, out of necessity, I have drastically cut back. I just don't have the time and need to budget my money as well.

My guess is that husband can tell you about lots of bad habits. I'm always working on such things...

One that I noticed the other day ... I can say "okay" a lot when speaking; esp. when I'm nervous...trying to stop this!

Abbey

Spork Queen
LOL Abbey - Us WOW heads are a bunch of wackos. Tell your hubby Im a level 80...LOL and it was probably me that ambushed him...ROFL

:bow:

No way would I tell him. He'd spend hours hunting you down and all I'd hear is cussing from his office the entire time.

Actually 80 is impressive. You could sell that on Ebay. (I've heard that speech far too many times.) "I NEED to play so I can sell my character." :rofl::rofl:

Please.

Abbey

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
oh gosh I would have to say when someone chews with their mouth open, makes me wanna crawl out of my skin!

I also will not were a nightgown, only pajama pants and a top, but that's more PTS related.

My Mom when she talks loudly and over other people drives me plumb nuts!

And one of my co-workers plays elevator music aka instrumental jazz all day at work and we're already to vandalize her speakers when she goes to lunch, cause we're all ready to claw our ear drums out!

I also do not think heavey women (and I am one) should were spandex or bikinis or belley tops, it's just plain scarey!

well that was a lot of quirks!

My obessions currently are anything LOST, snapple rasberry iced tea, Pear Blossom body spray from bath and body works.

I am also weird in the fact that I love to coat my fingers in elmers glue and peel it all off once it dries! Also anyone with a pealing sunburn is not safe in my presence!

donna723

"I WILL NOT go into any place where there is an armored car sitting outside. I guess that accounts for me not lasting at my bank job too long."

Abbey, I don't like armored cars either. And it's for exactly that same reason that I avoid those underground enclosed parking garages like the plague! In practically every TV show and movie ever made, the parking garage is always where all the bad stuff goes down! Just think of all the movies you've seen where people are attacked in a supposedly deserted parking garage! They jump out from behind parked cars and shoot people, or they run them down with their cars! And it's guaranteed that if there is another person in the parking garage, they will be creepy or weird or threatening looking. And if you get in to the elevator, it is guaranteed that they will get on there with you! Not for me! When I park the car, I want to see the sunshine up above and lots of other people milling around!

Last edited: