Where did THOSE come from?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
So, I had the furnace man out today to winterize the furnace. He pulled the blower housing and lo' and behold, we found 3 mummified birds in there!

The only thing I can figure is that they were attracted by the heat from the pilot light, flew in, and couldn't get back out

I'm kinda curious as to what sort of things we've found in furnaces and the like. It gave me the skeeves. There was no odor from the dead birds, they basically were mummified by the heat and dried air

trinityroyal

That used to happen with the clothes dryer vent in my first house. My clothes never used to get dry in the dryer. Turned out the entire vent assembly and 1/4 of the hose was filled with mummified birds. Same reason for entry, same result.
I called the Critter Cops (a local animal control company), and they cleared out the...um...clog and then installed a grill in the vent opening so that birds and other creatures couldn't get in.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Great. My dryer seems to be working fine, so hopefully no critters have found their way in there. If this becomes a regular occurance, I'll have someone out to install some sort of wire housing around the chimney.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
GN good idea. I was going to say they're probably coming down the chimney. We have a iron mesh grate on ours due to that.........or worse bats.....rather have the birds. Never had them do it to the clothes dryer........but my vent opening to the outside would take some talent for them to get inside. lol

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
When easy child 1 bought his camper and started tearing into it to refinish it, he found several in-tact mouse skeletons. Handled carefully, they stayed together, and Wee thought they were amazing. They were kinda cool.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
These were just bones and feathers. Nothing to them when you handled them. I'd guess all the flesh dried out/away in the hot dry air. I certainly didn't smell anything cooking or rotting