Where should I begin?

Discussion in 'Healthful Living / Natural Treatments' started by tinamarie1, Sep 6, 2006.

1. tinamarie1

tinamarie1 Member

I have always suspected that certain foods do not agree with difficult child, and probably alot of them set him off. But where do I begin in finding out which ones have different effects? I am sooo tired of the school telling me I NEED to medicate him. We have been down that road many times and it does not work for him. So, I would love to find out the things that trigger him to have meltdowns.
    Any advice?

2. tiredmommy

tiredmommy Well-Known Member

3. Josie

Josie Active Member

My children react to gluten and casein (the protein in milk) which means they have very restricted diets. I do a lot of reading on another board about food intolerances. The advice there is to start with a simple diet of whole foods like meat (not pre-seasoned), fresh fruits and vegetables, and rice. Stick to that for a while, maybe a couple of weeks, and then add things back in slowly. Some intolerances have delayed reactions and won't show up until a few days later.

I haven't done this but we eliminated gluten very strictly from our diet at first and could tell pretty quickly that it made a difference. Then we eliminated dairy. Now it is so obvious to me that difficult child reacts to milk. The tiniest amounts of butter will set her off. I don't know how we didn't notice before other than we really weren't even looking at that as a possiblity. We are currently eliminating soy from easy child's diet to see if that is still causing her trouble.

Good luck. I hope this is an answer for you. It really is much easier to deal with a restricted diet than to deal with the behaviour.

4. tiredmommy

tiredmommy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    It really is much easier to deal with a restricted diet than to deal with the behaviour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with this statement. I was overwhelmed at first when starting Duckie's rotation diet, but that was due to the urgency of Duckie having had a pretty severe allergic reaction. I won't say Duckie's behavior is perfect, but life is much more manageable since she isn't constant turmoil. It's been a favorable trade-off.

5. transformtriumph

transformtriumph New Member

Hi! You can start simply by eliminating one food that you think is a culprit. If it does seem to have an effect, try adding it back and see if the problem returns. Then move onto the next food and so on.