Why??? I miss .....

Kathy813

Staff member
I'm glad that you are back!

PonyGirl65 . . . are you my old friend PonyGirl? I noticed you posting in another thread and wondered if that was just a coincidence.

I sure would love to hear from some of the other oldies but goodies.

SunnyFlorida? Coookie? Suz? Where are you?

~Kathy

PonyGirl65

Hi Kathy, YES, it's me! I couldn't recover my old password, so I just added some random numbers (wink wink) behind my old username. Nice to see you!!

Kathy813

Staff member
Pony, it is so good to hear from you. I have thought of you often. As you can see, my daughter is still struggling with addiction but I have come far since the old days.

I see that your son is in prison. I am so sorry. How are you holding up? Congrats on your younger son's college degree.

Kathy

PonyGirl65

I'm holding up pretty well, thank you for asking. I had forgotten our children were the same age! Yes, both still struggling. GFG30 calls about every other week, last call he still hadn't been transferred to prison, was still at County Jail. He is ready to get on with it and start the process. But, all the time he sits "counts" towards his sentence no matter where he's at, so there's that.

I would be so grateful if THIS would be the thing that FINALLY helps him. I've already got my hopes up, silly me, but it's easier to have that attitude for right now. After all, I don't need to "worry" about him for like 5 years, so that's good news, right?!

Thankfully, Baby J's mom and I have stayed on good terms. She even took Baby J (who is 7 years old now!! AND in perfect health!!) to see GFG30 right before sentencing, which was above and beyond what I would've done, but my son was thrilled to see his son, so I'm glad for that.

How about you? Your J was the bowler, am I remembering that right? And/or the softball player? Gosh it's been so long! I can't believe how the years just roll by.

Kathy813

Staff member
J was a softball player in high school and college. She graduated from college, taught high school math for four years, and then decided to go back to grad school full time. She is in Colorado working on a master's degree in Applied Statistics.

She graduates in December and is eager to find a job where she can make "real money" unlike being a teacher.

My Difficult Child is living back in Georgia after four years of doing the "South Florida" shuffle from rehab, to halfway houses, relapse, and back to rehab. She would do well for a while and then relapse. She "surprised" us a couple of months ago by showing up at our door and has since gone to another inpatient rehab and now is in a great IOP/halfway house program. She seems to be doing really well and is saying all of the right things but I have learned to just take it one day at a time.

I am retiring from full time face-to-face teaching at the end of this year but am going back to the same school part time next year. I am also still teaching online classes so I stay busy.

~Kathy

PonyGirl65

The term "Applied Statistics" just makes me giggle. Sounds like something our difficult children would be good at, doesn't it?! 85% of statistics are made up on the spot, you know that, right? ;)

Kathy813

Staff member
I thought our difficult children specialized in "Applied BS."

As far as an Applied Statistics master's degree, J's college has a 100% placement rate with jobs starting at $75,000 a year. Sounds good to me.:wink-very:

InsaneCdn

85% of statistics are made up on the spot, you know that, right?
The interesting thing with statistics is that the numbers don't mean anything - unless you know all the details of the data behind it, and the methodology used. This is what makes statistics so open to "interpretation" and "misuse".

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
(jumping up and down!)...hey KATHY, I'm here. I check in every few months and happened to check in today- how about that?!

My gfg31 (thanks PG for the tip!) is still a difficult child. I can't even begin to describe his last few years. Several cars totaled plus that motorcycle "face plant" accident due to alcohol and drug use. Several arrests- DUIs. Drivers license suspended for longer than he's ever been able to keep it. Unable to keep a job for any length of time. Several rehabs, jail, halfway houses. We are somewhat estranged now. I had to distance myself to retain my sanity. It is not at all what I imagined our lives to be when we adopted that precious boy so many years ago. I will always love him and hope that he will be able to put his life together. But he has to do it, I can't do it for him.

Suz

PonyGirl65

:love_heart:Suz!! (Waving wildly) Hi Suz!! Oh........I've missed your profile picture ;-) Sorry to hear your struggles have continued. Mine have, as well. Always so grateful for the strong support on this site :love_heart:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
:love_heart::love_heart::love_heart: Hi PG!!! So good to see you!!!...so sorry that your struggles have continued, too. Deep sigh.

Richard is divorced now and I'm still waiting for his call...:cutie_pie:

Kathy813

Staff member
Hi Suz!!! It is so good to hear from you. I think of you every winter when I pull out my cuddl duds. I miss my twin separated at birth.

I am sorry to hear your Difficult Child is still struggling. Your son, PG's son, and my daughter are all around the same age. I know we were all hoping that with age came wisdom and they would move past the earlier struggles.

It took me years before I finally listened to the wise parents on the board and learned that I can't fix my daughter but I am finally there. Like you, I hope that she gets it one day but my life goes on.

Let us hear from you when you stop in from time to time!

~Kathy

InsaneCdn

@Suz
To start a conversation, you can:
1) click on the avatar of the person, and one of the options that comes up is "start a conversation"
or
2) upper right hand of the screen has, among other things, an "inbox". Click on that, and you can "start a conversation".