Winter update

Abbey

Spork Queen
OMG. Who created this weather? It's -9 with a wind chill of -34 and 40mph winds. The snow has now covererd my basement windows which are 5 feet above the ground. I was completely wrapped like a burrito in my heating blanket and parka on last night and still freezing.

(Did I mention that I REALLY want to go back to Vegas?)

everywoman

Abbey---I'm sorry your are miserably cold. I can understand but I can empathize. It's going to be 70+ in SC today. Catch a plane and we'll spend Christmas laying out by the beach.

muttmeister

It was 4 below 0 here last night and is now 5 above (at 10:30 A.M.) and that is predicted to be our high for today. Even the dogs don't like it. I let them out to do their business and within 2 minutes they are knocking on the door to come in. At least we don't have tons of snow: only about 3 inches on top of a glaze of ice.
Tell me again why I haven't moved away from here? I HATE COLD AND SNOW!!!!!!!

Andy

-4 degrees with -28 degree wind chill here.

Our Sunday School program director decided to cancel tonight's program. I called the person who made the cake to ask what to do with it. She said she thinks schools may be closed tomorrow. What? It is -50 degrees. Really? The wind chill is -50. Oh, that makes sense!

So, that might be a prediction for tomorrow morning?

I need to decide if I am going into work today or not. I had decided not to when she said it was -50 windchill but since it is only -28 wind chill, I may go in?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
It's 19 degrees F here in northwestern CT and still snowing...I think we've gotten about 16" total. We got about a foot yesterday and four more today and it's still coming down.

I am so worried about easy child - she's driving home from work and hasn't called me and she's very late. I hope she's okay. difficult child is 'stuck' at a friend's house.

Jena

Wow you guys it's really cold where you are.

Abbey - I sooo wouldn't throw a snowball at you now. I"m sorry you have so much there, sheesh. Are you feeling better yet??

Jo- So, did easy child make it home ok??? you got alot of snow also.

We only got about 5 inches and a ton of rain today. ugh

Abbey

Spork Queen
We got a few more inches today, but it was the wind that made it 'blizzard' conditions. (That's what the news guy said anyways.) Ha...just checked the weather here. We hit a high of zero!!! :D (-21 chill factor). :sick: I think I'm going to put my bathing suit on. Again. I see no tan.

A customer came through late in the day and when I asked him how he was doing, he said, "Do you really want to know?" I noticed he had a hospital badge on. He's an ER doctor at the hospital across the street. Sure...lay it on me. He says they hit a record total of heart attacks and hypothermia today from people shoveling snow. Broken legs/pelvis didn't break the record, but was close. I dug in my pants that have FAR too many pockets for my ATM card and swiped. This one is on me, sir. Happy Holidays.

On a positive note, my wonderful father in law completely did my walks and driveway today after he gave me his car to go to work. He's such a good guy.

Jenn, you might throw one at me, but I'm not getting my hands in that stuff!! And yes, feeling a bit better.

Abbey

F

flutterbee

It's 0 degrees, with a windchill of -18 as we speak. No snow, though. :( We had some sleet last night, but just enough to cover the roads.

tiredmommy

Abbey- I have a pile of snow in my front yard that's at least as tall as I am. The plow guy for the nursing home across the street has no where to pile it but on the right-of-way section of my yard. On a positive note, Duckie will have fun sledding on it when it warms up a bit. It's 11F with a nasty windchill (negative teens, I believe) and we're under a lake effect warning tonight. Lovely. :rolleyes:

mstang67chic

Going Green
It's -1 here and I don't know what the wind chill is......don't think I WANT to know. The winds are a blowin and it's just stupid cold. The only plus side of that is that we won't get anymore ice.

I hope everyone is where they need to be and are warm and dry.

M

ML

Abbey come stay in my basement till Spring. It's cold here but not THAT cold. You'll never get over your cold this way. Hugs, ML

Abbey

Spork Queen
TM - the problem is that my entire yard is taller than me right now, and I'm almost 6 foot tall. I don't know where to put this stuff! I could haul it to the back yard, but shoot...the effort to do that is beyond me. It would take me a day just to dig a path back there. I just spent 1/2 hour shoveling out my front stoop. You scoop it up...it comes right back down because the pile is so high. That's all I could take.

H just called and he's had 2 cancelled flights now trying to get back here. Ahhh...as I type he just texted me that he's in Chicago and the flight was cancelled to Milwaukee.

I think I'm hunkering down for the night and not looking out the window.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We're 5 degrees with a windchill of -18. Brrrrr. I'm bringing Rowdy inside shortly. Would've already done it except husband didn't do one darn (not my chosen word) thing I asked him to do today to prepare to bring Rowdy in. grrrrrrrr

So Betsy's sleeping outside her kennel tonight in the livingroom with Molly. And Rowdy will be borrowing Betsy's crate and using it in the kitchen.

If husband is smothered in his sleep........we'll it would be justifiable homocide wouldn't it??

Like I can set up anything for Rowdy man after dark. husband was supposed to have had it done when I got home from Dayton. Gee, he only had 8 hours to do it in. *mumble hiss spit grrrrrr*

Abbey, if you haven't yet, you might want to invest in a pair of long underwear. I'm sorry you're freezing. Betsy's a great cuddler, and a hot rock. Want me to send her up there to you?? ;)

Hugs

Abbey

Spork Queen
Lisa - I wear long johns to work everyday, along with my snow boots. It looks rather attractive. (Not) Now, if they'd just let me wear my Eskimo hat I'd be good.

Send Betsy up anytime. :)

Abbey

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Maine is getting hammered by snow right now. I'm sooo glad we moved to Maryland, these old bones just couldn't take it any longer. There were winters where we needed a bucket loader to move mountains of snow just to be able to negotiate the driveway. I used to slather vaseline on the kids' faces to protect them from frostbite. Having twin toddlers was quite an experience in winter. As soon as I would get one all bundled up and ready to go (long johns, layers, snow suit, boots, gloves and scarf) the other would poop his diaper and I had to get twin 1 undressed to keep him from overheating near the wood stove. The newly diapered and bundled up twin would then need to be unbundled because twin 2 had pooped his diaper! I can laugh about it now...

KTMom91

I don't know how you ladies live in the frozen tundra...my hat goes off to you!

(And I can take my hat off, because...it's about 50 degrees here! I don't need it!)

Abbey

Spork Queen
Yeah, talk to me in January when I am 'supposed' to go back to Vegas for 10 days. I may not come back. This is ridiculous.

Abbey

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Don't throw anything at me. It was close to 70 today. I was in shorts and a t-shirt.
Looks around sheepishly. But this is my first year of no snow... I must admit I kind of like it!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Alright. Cyber snowball fight. Toto...you'll have to use sand. That should help my driveway. Just make sure you don't hit KTM as she doesn't probably want the sand.

Abbey

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Jeeze Deb, then I guess you haven't heard the news or seen the photos of Vegas where it is snowing.

I am admiring the mountains with the snow on top and am just fine with that view. But we had a real cold snap the other day and I had the fireplace going full blast while I was working. Can't wait to see my gas bill

Marcie