"Women's Issues"

klmno

Many probably know already that I am looking for a therapist for myself lately, now that I think I've found a good fit for difficult child. So, I tried one who just wasn't right for me. I called another who seemed arrogant and egotistacal. Then, I looked a little more and found a group that covers a lot of things. They had a website that gave a brief description of specialties for several different tdocs in their group.

They have several different offices and one is convenient to me, two are too far away to be feasible on a regular basis. Anyway, most todcs would list specialties like "depression and anxiety", "marital counseling", "parenting issues", "adhd", "ptsd", and then one listed "women's issues and gay/lesbian issues". Obviously, I get the gay/lesbian part, but what does "women's issues" mean in this context?

PS I apologize for not being so responsive to others' threads lately- I'm way too stuck on a couple of things and that's why I'm trying to get to a therapist who's right for me.

Jena

hi

i'm glad you are searching, k i have no idea what woman issues means? Possibly reproductive issues, ppl trying to conceive yet can't? I'll look it up, and see what i come up with.

thats an odd title to it woman's issues

klmno

Yeah, Jen- I thought it was way too vague given that it could mean anything from a relationship issue to menopause to a female work-related issue, etc.- Unless it is used to define specific issues pertaining to women and I'm just unaware of the specific issues the term is used for.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Abusive relationships, infertility, situational depression from female medical issues......I don't know. That is kind of an odd heading. Let us know if you find out.

And good luck finding a good match!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
When you study 'women's issues' at a school, it covers not only the history of women, their fight for equal rights, finding a career, parenting, and health issues...etc....it also covers how women deal in today's society in regards to juggling both the traditional role of women on the homefront and women in the workplace and how overwhelming those choices and tasks can be.

We (women) have come a long way (baby) but not long enough. Women struggle with their identities more so than men in every way. For instance, there are many women today who frequently ask themselves, on an almost daily basis, "How do I handle being a good wife, a good mother, a good employee, a good friend, a good housekeeper, etc.?"

In the typical two person income earning family, the woman still does a majority of the child rearing and housework. The H's chip in with some work, though not usually on a daily or regular basis. Women are still the parent who most often is involved with school trips and P-T meeting, taking their kids to the DR, keeping up with housework, helping with homework, doing laundry, running errands and scheduling appts, planning meals, etc.

In addition, the care of our elderly parents also usually falls to the daughters - most of whom are already dealing with their own family's issues. This presents additional burdens.

All of this becomes very overwhelming along with worries about her own personal health, change of life, interpersonal relationships, etc., all while juggling a career or job.

For most men over the 40 age mark, the job ends when they come home from their day job. They may help a bit in the kitchen and with the kiddos to an extent, maybe coach a team, etc., but the bulk of home issues becomes the woman's job. So at that end of her day, she goes home to her 'other' job.

I would think that "Women's Issues" relates to all of the above.

trinityroyal

Klmno,

I think Mstang and JoG are on the right track. However, the topic is pretty broad. I'm not sure whether the therapist focuses on specific areas of "women's issues" as they relate to mental health, or if her focus is broader than that. Might be worth finding out.

klmno

Thanks all! The therapist from their office that I really want to see is at a branch over 20 miles away. :( my second choice is booked until Jan. This one that I asked about is available and about 15 miles away. Also, I think she's much younger than me. I know that shouldn't make a difference, but I go into this feeling like it's such a stretch for us to relate to begin with. Really, how many tdocs have been a single parent, been in the military, other things I could list that I know they probably have NO experience with...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Also, I think she's much younger than me. I know that shouldn't make a difference, but I go into this feeling like it's such a stretch for us to relate to begin with. Really, how many tdocs have been a single parent, been in the military, other things I could list that I know they probably have NO experience with...

I prefer to meet with someone who you can relate to and who can relate to you as well - I don't think that is a stretch. You should be with someone who is able to make you feel 'understood', knows where you're coming from and can show some empathy. If you're with someone who cannot relate or doesn't quite have the ability to understand your situation well enough to empathize with you, then in my opinion, (for ME), that can make the sessions frustrating. on the other hand, sometimes going with someone so completely not like you or familiar with your situation can perhaps bring new light to certain issues and help you see other perspectives.

Good luck~

Star*

call 911........call 911
Womens issues - like - WHY do I do the work of three men and only get paid for the work of 1/2 a man? Can't wait for the equal opportunity law to pass. I'm going for blood. if there is any jobs left to go for.

Or -
Why do I have to work 7:30AM - 10:00 PM and THEN come home and clean the bathroom on Saturday?

things like that - equality issues.

Why do I have to pick up the dog barf? Not my dog!

Jena

Yes, you totally need someone you can relate to. My T is a single mom, works two jobs, very dedicated and child also has varying issues. so it's a good match. i hope you find someone.

you could always try the closer one, the one that treats "woman issues" lol and see what you think. than make the other appointment. for jan. i always line up a few just to be on safe side than cancel where i have to.

so, what makes the one that is 20 miles away good? i mean were you referred by soemone else? 20 miles is a long long drive

Star*

call 911........call 911
Gaw -

The mo' I thought 'bout dis - da mo' I'm thinnin I should consult a womans issue therapist....or

WAIT......wait for it.........mmmmm ok = got it.

SEND MEN TO THE WOMENS ISSUE THERAPIST - cut out the middle man - dont' teach ME to understand that I'm already down trodden - just send that Potato wanting man (no 'stang not your hubby ;)) to see her and let the THERAPIST REALLY REALLY earn her money -

ROF -OMG I am so funny - ROFL again. :laugh:

klmno

They are all part of the same group- they just have a few different branch offices. On their website, they give a little explanation about credentials and specialties for each one. Most descriptions include a photo of the therapist. The branch that is closest to me is small and only had tdocs that specialized in areas that seem fairly unrelated to my issues.

The therapist I wanted is in a branch about 24 miles away. I wouldn't mind doing that a couple of times, but that could get quite time consuming on a regular basis. Plus, it's for me, which means I need to go when difficult child is in school so it cuts into my time at work too much. Anyway, her specialties that were listed appeared to be exactly what I need-- it pretty much covered every issue I have now and all that I've had in the past. And, her photo made it clear that she's about my age or slightly older and she wasn't dressed or posing looking like she was trying to impress anyone- she looked down-to-earth. So, that's the one I'd prefer.

The other- they have no photo since she was relatively new at their offices, I guess. I tried to do an internet search to find out more about her, but all I get is her educational experience. I did ask about one specific issue when I called the other day and they said that this particualr therapist did not specialize in that.

I'm not sure that I need to see a therapist weekly for a long period of time, so in a way, I'm leaning toward seeing the "far away" one for a few times, to clear some things up in my own mind, then, maybe seeing someone closer, even the other one at difficult child's therapist's office, once I only need to concentrate on difficult child related stuff.

I've used the "try this one, there's nothing to lose" approach a few times. Then, I always feel worse because I went through the emotional ride of telling so much only to be disappointed and it makes me lose motivation to even go.

klmno

SEND MEN TO THE WOMENS ISSUE THERAPIST - cut out the middle man - dont' teach ME to understand that I'm already down trodden - just send that Potato wanting man (no 'stang not your hubby ) to see her and let the THERAPIST REALLY REALLY earn her money

Well, there's a thought!! Wouldn't all of our problems at least decrease??