Wrap around services

maril

In speaking with the manager of my son's D&A partial program about further in-home help, it was suggested I research (specifically) wrap around services as a possible option for our 17yo difficult child. I have been researching online, found numerous contacts in my area who provide such services, left messages with some, and plan to call others tomorrow (of course, no one there - it is the weekend).

I would like input from anyone who has an opinion or information regarding this type of service as far as effectiveness, if a referral would be necessary, cost, etc.

We are really struggling with difficult child as he refuses to get up on school days, misses the bus regularly, many days has no other transportation available (parents' job shifts/not available to drive everyday), and is failing school partly due to chronic tardiness and absence.

In speaking with a local police officer as well as a therapist (formerly worked with difficult child), we were informed that we cannot physically engage as far as pulling his arm to get him up out of bed/lifting him up out of bed, as we may be liable legally; in the past, difficult child and husband have been involved in altercations.

On a positive note, difficult child continues to attend partial program and is said to participate and is also willing to continue to see his psychiatrist (she has been on board mainly for medication checks; at this point, difficult child is off medications pending further evaluation).

Last edited:

Sheila

timerlady and I believe slsh has had extensive experience with wraparound. timerlady's children are younger however.

I know there are others, their names just slip my mind at the moment.

But you may want to PM them and ask if they could take a look at your thread.

Glad that you do have some positives going on.

slsh

member since 1999
Hi Marilyne - ignore my PM, LOL. I'm *obviously* having a Monday. :rofl:

We actually have not had wrap services. We did have in-home counseling for probably a total of about a year and a half, and were supposed to have a kind of respite that actually would have been wrap had it ever worked out but thank you ended up back in the hospital and in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) #2 before those services materialized. How it was supposed to work was a person who was trained to work with kids with- mental health issues would come out to the house, in thank you's case I think 3 or 4 afternoons a week, and take him out into the community to do things - bowling, library, whatever. Kind of a combination of social skills, therapeutic assistance for him, respite for me.

Funding would depend on your state, I think. In our case, they would have been paid for because it's part of the grant that covers either Residential Treatment Center (RTC) or community services. At one point, our school district also tossed out possibly paying for wrap but that never occurred (I suspect the SW who mentioned that got her knuckles rapped for even suggesting the possibility, LOL).

I'm not sure what a D&A program is. It might be possible to get referral and funding ideas from them, depending on what it is.

Sorry I'm not much help!

B

bran155

If I am understanding what "wrap around services" are, I believe I have them. We had a network meeting to put together all services that my daughter qualify for. We have an Intensive Case Manager (from my counties Mental Health Association), 2 social workers (from after care services through the Family Court), Social Services case worker, Youth Forum counselors, therapist, psychiatrist, School District and Family Ties (support for families dealing with mentally ill children). All of these people were at our network meeting, we came up with a plan for my daughter. She was to attend any and all meetings with her sws and therapist. She was to attend all appts with her psychiatrist and join the Youth Forum. The Youth Forum is a group that is put together by teenagers with issues, they meet at a rec center, they go on trips, support one another, have group therapy sessions and help find employment. (amoung other things) The ICM is supposed to come to see my daughter 2-4 times a month. She was to help with life skills, job, housing, obtaining ID, giving rides to appts and things of that nature. I'm sure I missed a few things. Sorry!

I wish that I could say it worked for us. It could have if my daughter was willing to use all of those services, she refused. She never showed up for any of her appts. I was the one using her services. It's a shame because she really could have benefited a great deal if she was willing to participate.

I hope it works for you. Good luck! :)

maril

Thank you slsh and bran155 for the information. You have been helpful. I wish you both success in the future with your children.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Both my son & daughter have CADI waivers which provide wrap services.

In our case, those services include PCAs (personal care attendants), Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) workers (independent living skills), in home therapy, respite & home making if we can find a worker for that service.

This took 9 months to put into place & we've now had in home or wrap services since the tweedles were 9.

Saying all that, these services are very intrusive~ you have little to no privacy in your home depending the number of hours your receive weekly. (We are currently using 48 PCA hours weekly, 8 Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) hours every 2 weeks, respite on the 1st & 3rd weekends of the month & in home therapy 1.5 hours twice a week.)

Our funding is through a CADI (community alternatives for disabled individuals) waiver. It took going to the state medical review board to have the tweedles assessed & determined to be disabled. All of our services are not determined on the diagnosis but on the GAF scores my children carry (GAF = global assessement of functioning).

Saying all of the above, it might be more than difficult to obtain services of this type in your home at your difficult children age. If his functioning assessment is of the level that he cannot get himself up to go to school rather than will not you may have a better chance. That will be determined through many tests, evaluations & such & of course your difficult children history to this age.

Good luck & keep us informed.

maril

timer lady: Very informative post and thank you for that! It sounds like you have a great plan for your children.

I understand the point about the time needed to implement versus constraints in regard to my son's age.

Of note, today, my son had an appointment with his psychiatrist, we discussed our situation, and she did refer us to home-based services to be arranged through their facility; told me all things considered, may take six weeks to get the ball rolling.

Once again, thank you so much.