Yet Another Suspension

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Want2Learn, Feb 4, 2008.

  1. Want2Learn

    Want2Learn Sifting Through It All

    My difficult child got suspended again today before 9am for being disrespectful to her teacher. Again. I already had a follow-up Dr's appointment scheduled for next week, but I called and asked it to be moved up. He was able to see us today and diagnosed her with ADHD and prescribed Strattera for her. With this diagnosis, do you think she would be able to get an IEP evaluation? Would this prevent the constant detentions and suspensions? Please help.

    Thanks in advance,
  2. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    I would tell them you want to start the process ASAP- it can take some time to get through it all and actually get one implemented. You might want to post on the Special Education forum and get some input from Martie or Sheila to see if there's anything particualr you can do to help your chances and move it faster.

    How old is she? What grade is she in? Has she ever had a neuropsychological evaluation? I would recommend more evaluation to make sure she's getting treated for the right problem- or at least as musch as possible.
  3. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    Is this a pediatrician? If so, JMO but I wouldn't trust a pediatrician to diagnose a neurological or psychiatric problem let alone prescribe the medications. They don't have the extra training you need to diagnose those things. Straterra can cause a child with a misdiagnosed mood disorder to get considerably worse, although it usually takes a few weeks, while the medication builds up in the body. Ever see a neuropsychologist?
  4. BestICan

    BestICan This community rocks.

    When my difficult child got suspended last year, I immediately convened a meeting with the teacher, the principal, and difficult child's therapist. difficult child's therapist spent many years as a teacher and he really had some insights into how the teachers could manage his behaviors. This helped greatly, and we don't have an IEP. Not sure if your difficult child has a therapist, and/or whether you'd feel comfortable letting those two worlds meet up, but it worked for us.
  5. Want2Learn

    Want2Learn Sifting Through It All

    Thanks for the quick responses~

    She's 10 y/o and in 4th grade...she did see a pediatrician. psychiatrist today. We've seen therapists and a psychologist and finally decided to see the psychiatrist due to their methods not helping and the suspensions, detentions, and dropping grades getting worse. I am a little leary about the medication, but at this point I don't know what else to do. The dr. did tell me that I should try to get an IEP, so she could perhaps meet with the school counselor at least 1x a week. That way I won't have to spend so much on private therapy. How do I go about obtaining a neuropsychologist evaluation for her?
  6. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    If you're psychiatrist has an office with other professionals, he might have someone there who can do it. It should be a psychologist- make sure you specifically say neuropsychological testing. They are not cheap- insurance might pay part of it. It is worth it, no matter what, when you have a difficult child. I'm wondering though, why your psychiatrist didn't already recommend this.

    MM might have other ideas about how to get a good one. Be prepared- they take many hours- like 6 to 12 - but it will reveal weaknesses and strengths in your child and it's not something that needs to be done over many times- my difficult child had one 2 years ago and I was told he doesn't need another one done yet.
  7. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    Ours was covered 100% and we have MEDICAID! We saw a neuropsychologist for twelve hours thru our university hospitals, usually EXCELLENT sources that take all sorts of insurance.
  8. slsh

    slsh member since 1999

    Your daughter has behaviors that are impacting her ability to receive an education. That is one of the criteria for qualifying for an IEP. I would request a full educational evaluation, including a functional behavioral analysis, to determine her eligibility for an IEP (in writing, certified letter to school district). Check out the sped 101 archives for sample letters and info.

    How many days has she been suspended this year?

    Just my opinion, but in no way would I substitute a "school counselor" for private therapy. I've found that school counselors will, at best, only address school behaviors (as they should). If you're having behavioral difficulties at home as well, I'd definitely keep up with private therapist.
  9. LittleDudesMom

    LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member


    I agree with the others. You need to send a letter, certified, to the school requesting a full educational evaluation. If your daughter's disability (and adhd is classified as a disibility if it impeads her ability to learn or disrupts her ability to learn) is correctly diagnosis'd by a qualified professional, you need to start the process now because it can take months to get a good IEP written and all the testing done.

    Your daughter is also in need of a Functional Behavioral Analysis (or FBA) so that a plan can be in place when her behaviors get out of hand. There is some protection for children with disabilities.

    The best thing you can do right now, is send the letter and then research, research, research. Begin over on the Special Education board and just do some reading. Then go to the Special Education archives and read some more! There are examples of letters, links and more. It will help you not only draft your letter to the school, but prepare you for the eligibility meeting.

    Additionally, how much time did the doctor spend with your daughter before making the diagnosis? Did you tell him you suspected adhd? He did not get feedback from teachers or a questionaire from you? I went back and read your post again, sounds like she has seen this doctor before? Realize as well, that unlike "traditional" adhd medications (concerta, adderal, ritalin) which enter the body and are effective immediately until they wear off, Strattera can take a number of weeks before you begin to see it's effects.

    Good luck.

  10. nvts

    nvts Active Member

    You've gotten some really good advice. Make sure that you send a letter that states that you want an IEP for your daughter that will test for all aspects associated with ADHD and send it certified. Also include in the letter that you want it expedited due to the suspension(s) that have taken place as you feel that they are a manifestation of the disabilitie(s).

    You need a Functional Behavior Analysis as well as a Behavior Intervention Plan.

    Check with Sheia and Martie on the Special Education forum too,

    Good luck and keep us up to date!

  11. Want2Learn

    Want2Learn Sifting Through It All

    Guys thank you so much for your responses--there's so much information just in this thread that I had to get my printer going! I did find some sample letters and I am going to get one written and sent to the principal and hopefully I won't have to fight to get the ball rolling. Do I ask for the Functional Behavioral Analysis in the letter? and then the Behavior Intervention plan would be in the IEP?

    Also, earlier I forgot to type that the Dr. did say she also has some anxiety with her ADHD, but didn't label her ODD.

    We filled out several forms...I did a Connor's Rating Scale, difficult child did an anxiety survey (I think it was MSC or something like that?) and her teacher filled out a survey. He quickly reviewed all this information before making the final diagnosis, but did tell us at the first visit that he suspected ADHD and perhaps a bit of anxiety.

    She has gotten 4 in-school suspensions and 4 out of school suspensions this year.

    And I'm going to ask about the neuropsychologist evaluation the next time we go to the psychiatrist.

    Thanks again for your help. I will definitely keep updating. I won't be able to check the board again until Wednesday because my 3 y/o is having outpatient surgery tomorrow, so please keep her and all my kids in your prayers, please!

    Good night!
  12. LittleDudesMom

    LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member

    The letter should request a full educational evaluation (you will be signing off and giving your permission for her to be tested at the initial meeting) and that an FBA be done at the meeting. Here's the thing. If they have their act together and give difficult child's teacher her FBA form (and anyone else that deals with difficult child), you can actually write the BIP at your first meeting. The BIP can stand alone and, if you get the IEP, it will be attached (or there will be reference "student has BIP...."). Go to and do some research. There are some good links to follow that explain what an effective FBA is and the best way to write a BIP. I would have that infor in my head )or jotted down on a tablet!!!) going into the meeting.

    One thing I did when my difficult child had his FBA, is that I asked Vice Principal, who was the leader of all the child study teams at difficult child's school, for a blank FBA form so that I could look it over before the meeting. It is something they can print off for you within a minute. It was really helpful for me to give thought to some of the questions before the meeting. You may do that same - not in your certified letter, but perhaps after you get notification of the meeting date. You will receive, by mail, a notificiation of the meeting.

  13. Wiped Out

    Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

    I know how frustrating those suspensions are. The others have given good advice.