Zoloft- share your experience with it.

EastCoastChris

sertraline

Pronunciation: SER tra leen
Brand: Zoloft

What is the most important information I should know about sertraline?
• Do not stop taking sertraline without first talking to your doctor. It may take 4 weeks or more for you to start feeling better and you may experience unpleasant side effects if you stop taking sertraline suddenly.

What is sertraline?
• Sertraline is in a class of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Sertraline affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression, panic or anxiety, obsessive or compulsive symptoms, or other psychiatric symptoms.
• Sertraline is used to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).
• Sertraline may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking sertraline?
• Do not take sertraline if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) during the last 2 weeks. Serious, and sometimes fatal, reactions have occurred when these medicines have been used together.
• Before taking sertraline, tell your doctor if you
· have liver disease;
· have kidney disease;
· suffer from seizures; or
· suffer from mania or have suicidal thoughts.
• You may not be able to take sertraline, or you may need a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.
• Sertraline is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is unknown whether it will be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not take sertraline without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment.
• It is not known whether sertraline passes into breast milk. Do not take sertraline without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

How should I take sertraline?
• Take sertraline exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
• Take each tablet with water.
• The Zoloft Oral Concentrate must be diluted before taking a dose. Use the dropper provided to measure a dose of the liquid. Mix the prescribed amount with 4 oz (one-half cup) of water, ginger ale, lemon/lime soda, lemonade, or orange juice only. Do not use any liquids other than those listed to dilute the concentrate. A slight haze may appear after mixing, this is normal. Drink this mixture immediately after mixing. Do not save any diluted concentrate for later use.
• Try to take sertraline at the same time each day.
• Sertraline may be taken with or without food.
• Do not stop taking sertraline without first talking to your doctor. It may take 4 weeks or more for you to start feeling better and you may experience unpleasant side effects if you stop taking sertraline suddenly.
• Store sertraline at room temperature away from moisture and heat.

What happens if I miss a dose?
• Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for the next regularly scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and take the next one as directed. Do not take a double dose of this medication unless otherwise directed by your doctor.

What happens if I overdose?
• Seek emergency medical attention.
• Symptoms of a sertraline overdose include nausea, vomiting, tremor, seizures, agitation, drowsiness, hyperactivity, and enlarged pupils.

What should I avoid while taking sertraline?
• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Sertraline may cause dizziness or drowsiness. If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, avoid these activities.
• Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness or dizziness while taking sertraline.

What are the possible side effects of sertraline?
• If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking sertraline and contact your doctor immediately or seek emergency medical treatment:
· an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
· an irregular heartbeat or pulse;
· low blood pressure (dizziness, weakness);
· high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision); or
· chills or fever.
• If you experience any of the following less serious side effects, continue taking sertraline and talk to your doctor:
· headache;
· tremor, nervousness, or anxiety;
· nausea, diarrhea, dry mouth, or changes in appetite or weight;
· sleepiness or insomnia; or
· decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

What other drugs will affect sertraline?
• Do not take sertraline if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) during the last 2 weeks. Serious, and sometimes fatal, reactions have occurred when these medicines have been used together.
• Before taking sertraline, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
· a benzodiazepine such as diazepam (Valium), alprazolam (Xanax), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), clorazepate (Tranxene), temazepam (Restoril), triazolam (Halcion), and others;
· a tricyclic antidepressant such as amitriptyline (Elavil), imipramine (Tofranil), doxepin (Sinequan), nortriptyline (Pamelor), and others;
· a phenothiazine including chlorpromazine (Thorazine), thioridazine (Mellaril), fluphenazine (Prolixin), mesoridazine (Serentil), perphenazine (Trilafon), prochlorperazine (Compazine), and others;
· lithium (Lithobid, Eskalith, others) or clozapine (Clozaril);
· almotriptan (Axert), frovatriptan (Frova), sumatriptan (Imitrex), naratriptan (Amerge), rizatriptan (Maxalt), or zolmitriptan (Zomig);
· carbamazepine (Tegretol) or phenytoin (Dilantin);
· warfarin (Coumadin);
· digoxin (Lanoxin);
· cimetidine (Tagamet, Tagamet HB); or
· bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban).
• You may not be able to take sertraline, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you are taking any of the medicines listed above.
• Do not take the Zoloft Oral Concentrate without first talking to your doctor if you are taking disulfiram (Antabuse). The oral solution contains alcohol, which may interact with disulfiram.
• Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with sertraline. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines, including herbal products.

Where can I get more information?
• Your pharmacist has additional information about sertraline written for health professionals that you may read.

MY own very favorite personal antidepressant but since difficult child was on PRozac and her psychiatrist always gave us samples I just switched to it and use it now. But at the very lowest dosage I got good relief and sleep. BLUE

anotherday

difficult child was on 25mg of Zoloft. I had not even told the teacher he was on a medication trial, but she reported a significant increase in acting out at school.

We noticed no difference in difficult child at home. The medication was stopped to improve school behavior.

Elise

Kate is currently on Zoloft for her depression. It has worked wonders with her irritable self. It definitly has made a diff. Her dose is very small 12.5 mg. Which it comes as 25 mg but we have to break it in half. Kathy katesmom

FYI--Zoloft is used both as an anti-depressant and to treat sleep disorders.

laura mz

jarrod took this to relieve the symptoms of major depression. it worked well for him. he had no side effects whatsoever & never balked at taking it it. he was on it for about a year. it did require weaning tho when it was time to d/c.
kris

Marci Lyn

I was on it for 5 years, loved it. But I can not stress enough, do not ever, I mean ever get off cold turkey. YOu must wean, and do not ever miss more then 1 day if you run out. I have done this on weekends, not realizing I was out, and it is aweful. ITs a big withdrawal, and a big crash landing. Symptoms return three fold if not weaning off!

Adam has been taking sertraline for about 2 years now. He is currently on 12.5 mg as well. The pharmacy makes the pills for him so we don't have to mess around breaking the capsules in half. He has been up to 25 mg zoloft but was experiencing increased obsessive/compulsive behaviors so we tried something else that made him aggressive so we went back to 12.5 sertraline. He has been back on that dose now for about 6 months but it will be going back up to 25mg soon because his anxiety is becoming problematic again. Sonja

Dr. tried me on it in '94. Horrible side effects from it. Couldn't function. Never even gave it a chance to stabilize in my system. Couldn't get off it fast enough. :frown:

goinlooney4sure

Hi There,
Zoloft is my wonder drug....I am no longer depressed My anxiety level is about 85% less I rarely if ever have panic attacks. No more unwanted thoughts ala Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
love da stuff
now for difficult child (older one) it was terrible made the voices worse and caused hypersexuality

Oh yea one bad thing about Zoloft for me....no sex drive at all...can not enjoy it if you know what I mean...but then again who likes getting all sweaty anyways

My son has been on samll dose of Zoloft 25 mg for 4 months. It seems the general anxiety is diminished but some of the OCDish thnigs are still around.

Side effects have been few except he is very difficult to wake in the morning. He says his medications do that.

Largely,

we have a good experience.