So what do you think? What should I wear to the gym?

DDD

I saw Jane Fonda on tv recently and she said that home exercise tapes were popular because people don't want to worry about what to wear to the gym. LOL! I'm going to force myself to go but I really don't know what to wear. Sigh! DDD

DammitJanet

Well I have no idea what you look like but they have nice yoga pants out now that are comfortable (I bought some) and nice T shirts that are made of similar material. That would be what I would wear. Unless you look like a super model, I dont think I would go in lycra...lol.

Malika

Yay, DDD, you are going to the gym :) Bravo for you. As to what to wear... I think a loose-fitting track suit must be de rigueur.

InsaneCdn

Well... first of all, wear clothes.
Seriously - if you wear glasses, you might want to leave them at home or in the car, because... you'll get an eyeful.

Form follows function.
What that means in this situation is: it is MORE important to be comfortable and practical doing gym activities, than it is to look good.
Functional factors:
- sweat-wicking fabrics
- flat-lock seams
- loose-fitting
- really good footwear
- layers - if you tend to start out "cold", you should have a layer you can "peel" once you get warmed up.

As far as "looks" goes? Depends on the particular gym and the people who go there, so... use what ya' got now, and go see what the others do.

KTMom91

I bought a pair of capri length gray yoga pants at Walmart, and have a gray and hot pink striped tank top that matches the hot pink on my shoes. It was not planned...I just like bright colors and I already had everything but the pants.

Steely

Shoot - I just wear whatever. Sweat pants, and a t-shirt and running shoes. Most people at the gym are so focused on their workouts, they don't even look around at others.
Have fun!

trinityroyal

I like layers. The gym I used to work out in was kept so cold that I would be freezing at the start of my workout if I didn't wear enough, or boiling during the intense part if I dressed too warmly.

Depending on how well-endowed you are, and the level of impact in your workout, support is critical. For higher-impact workouts (running, step class, aerobics, etc.) a good sports bra is essential. There are some really cute workout tops that have built-in bras, that also allow for freedom of arm movements. Or you can get a separate bra and top.

Something like this:
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=53934&vid=1&pid=898261&scid=898261002
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=69873&vid=1&pid=865575&scid=865575002

I usually wear one of these under a moisture-wicking t-shirt, then a fleece or terry-cloth jacket, then one of husband's giant sweatshirts.
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=77272&vid=1&pid=898255&scid=898255002
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=69876&vid=1&pid=885251
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=71901&vid=1&pid=815890&scid=815890092

For bottoms, I usually wear a pair of fitted shorts under loose yoga pants.
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=53935&vid=1&pid=898363&scid=898363002
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=53935&vid=1&pid=615217&scid=615217002

That way if I get too hot I can take off the yoga pants without removing my shoes, and remove top layers without exposing more skin than I want the world to see.

I've included links from Old Navy, but I buy most of my workout clothes at Walmart (or I steal them from Little easy child, since we wear about the same size and he has lots of stuff kicking around for his sports activities)

Trinity

DammitJanet

I have gotten hooked on yoga pants even though I dont think a yoga mat and I will ever make acquaintances. Yoga pants are comfy. They dont cost a fortune and you can get them in some decent colors. They are today's version of the old fat lady knit pants...lol. Or they are working out that way for me.

H

HaoZi

I have the relaxed fit with pockets yoga pants from Wal-Mart. First pair was so comfy I went back and got two more.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
DDD--

I think you should go shopping. Go treat yourself to something NEW and FUN to wear to the gym. Maybe it's new yoga pants...maybe it's a cute, comfy tee shirt...but make it something that you will look forward to wearing...

And then go and have a good time!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
easy child wants us to join the Y. If we do I'm wearing sweats and a t shirt. I'm there to work out and get sweaty, not make a fashion statement, so I want to be comfortable. lol

slsh

member since 1999
During my brief stint at the gym, the only thing I worried about was finding 2 socks that matched so if my sweats rode up as I biked or ellipticalled or stair-stepped or pushed the silly weights with my legs, I wouldn't be caught wearing 1 tube sock and 1 fuzzy striped sock. ;) Otherwise, it was sweats and an old t-shirt. And good shoes, must have good athletic shoes.

InsaneCdn

I have gotten hooked on yoga pants even though I dont think a yoga mat and I will ever make acquaintances. Yoga pants are comfy. They dont cost a fortune and you can get them in some decent colors. They are today's version of the old fat lady knit pants...lol. Or they are working out that way for me.

Janet...
Please reconsider, for the sake of the Yoga Pant industry.
If word gets out about this... yoga pants will be vanishing from the fashion scene...

Really.
I've done it.
Something I totally love, and over-stuff my wardrobe with... magically goes out of style.

DammitJanet

No kidding. Remember those lovely outfits from about 15 or so years ago that were made of maybe knit material but were the same color? Tops and bottoms. The tops had a floral design on them or a sequined design on them. Made them prettier. I used to buy them to wear to work because they were not exactly dressy but looked decent on a fat woman. They were a matching outfit that werent jeans. I simply couldnt find slacks that really fit me well and looked well. Well now you cant find those outfits at all. You can find knit pants and you can find knit tops but you cant find the complete outfits sold as one outfit so they exactly match. Pity. I liked those things.

lovemysons

DDD...A hot fushia cutesy warm up suit!!!

Seriously, the other day I was at the store and ran into our realtor. She has bleached blonde hair and was wearing this Hot Fushia colored warm up outfit and she looked so "sexy" from behind, lol...she has got to be in her late 60's early 70's and still a Knockout!

Go for something that makes you feel good about sweating it out at the gym, whatever that be.
And Good for you for doing something for yourself!
Hugs,
LMS

DDD

Yeah,....right, LMS, that's what I need to do. Uh, I think a Walmart trip sounds a bit more "me". LOL

Actually, for those who asked, I'm not bad looking for my age. My weight is at 135 and I need toning more than anything. I may need a sports bra because as husband says "my rack is intact". Don't you just love crude seniors? Funny man. My face is full too and topped with now salt/pepper hair.

I'll check out your suggestions and I really do appreciate it. I've got some decent shoes/socks and will get something comfortable and appropriate. Wish I were hyped up. My first goal is just to make myself go three times a week...even if it is only for fifteen minutes. I'm hoping to find the right time to go for my schedule and also not to be surrounded by law enforcement jocks. Can't picture that, lol. DDD

trinityroyal

DDD, you might be pleasantly surprised if you do end up surrounded by law enforcement jocks.
Back when I was in university, I used to work out in the gym where all the varsity football players did. I expected them to be arrogant and show-off-y, but instead they were gentlemanly and very helpful. Used to rack and load my barbells for me, offer to spot, fetch towels, etc.

Fran

Former desparate mom
DDD, I hate my thighs to touch so I wore shorts that go down 2/3 of my thigh. They are a short version of yoga pants but more like bike shorts. Tops alternate with t'shirts or tanks depending on how hot it is in the gym. I don't notice what people wear because I'm working on catching my breath. I loved those outfits that look like a thong over tights. Now that I could wear them, they aren't popular anymore.
Definitely invest in a good sports bra. When you have some rack, you need to keep them supported.
Have fun.

S

Signorina

I love Wal Mart's workout wear. I bought a bunch of danskin tops there this summer for $5 and got so many compliments on them from my tennis group - I proudly told them "$5 clearance WalMart" and most of them are wearing $125 outfits from the snooty tennis shoppes.

Seriously, Danskin at WalMart. And -agree with Trinity - my workout bras cost more than my workout clothes. sigh. I like the Bali fitness brand - Kohls has them on sale usually.

DDD

I don't often wear shorts except at home because I'm self conscious. When I was a kid they used to say "boy, if you turn sideways we won't be able to see you cause you're so skinny". Well my arms and legs are still skinny...although my middle is not, lol. I'll remember what you all suggested. DDD