2 Felonies/Children's Court

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by AtThe Brink, Oct 30, 2007.

  1. AtThe Brink

    AtThe Brink New Member

    My 14 yo is facing 2 felony charges in court in November. I have a couple of questions. We are scheduled for an intake inquiry for his , as the letter says "burglary-PTAC". What is the PTAC? Anyone know? Also the person writing the letter is an "intake specialist". Does this means they are sending him to juvenile detention? Thanks for your help
  2. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member

    Dont have a clue what PTAC means but the intake specialist is the court person for juveniles. Basically a DA for juvies who listens to the evidence and the info and then decides what they should do. They will give you a court date, ask you if you want a public defender, etc.
  3. jamrobmic

    jamrobmic New Member

    I don't know what the PTAC stands for, but I would get an attorney ASAP and let the attorney handle any contact with the authorities. When my son was charged with theft (he was 16), the probation department scheduled an initial interview to decide whether or not to file charges. Our attorney told us they were definitely going to file charges anyway, so he advised us not to be interviewed (he did contact them to tell them we would not be there). He did later allow the interview, with the stipulation that the alleged crime was not to be discussed. I don't know what your situation is, but I would never go into court without an attorney, especially if your difficult child is facing felonies. It's too easy to be run over by the proceedings otherwise.

    Just found it:

    PTAC-parties to a crime-part of a group that committed a crime.
  4. Sunlight

    Sunlight Active Member

    oops saw someone already figured out that one.
    good luck with your child.
  5. Nancy

    Nancy Well-Known Member Staff Member

    I'm sorry I can't be of any help. My difficult child faced two felony and two misdemeanor charges when she was 14 but it was handled differently in Ohio. We just appeared before a magistrate in juvenile court and he sentenced her to detention for the weekend and took her right then. There was no intake specialist involved.

    I strongly suggest you get an attorney who specializes in juvenile law. In fact in my difficult child's case, if she had not had an attorney the magistrate would have postponed the hearing and told us to get her one.

  6. AtThe Brink

    AtThe Brink New Member

    OMG, thats scares the bejeezus out of me. :scared: 2 burglary charges we are dealing with, 1 where DS took our next door neighbors/friends key from our bedroom and took 2 of his friends in their house and stole a PS3 and games and the other was doing over 20,000.00 damage with about 5 other kids(DS went on the roof, went through the roof hatch and let them all in) to the now defunct school in our town. Not really sure how much can really be done. I think this is pretty serious. And we live in Milwaukee County(not small, ya know?)
  7. Big Bad Kitty

    Big Bad Kitty lolcat

    Sending strength and prayers. We are here to lean on.
  8. Sunlight

    Sunlight Active Member

    you may be held liable for the damages if he is a minor. when my minor son shoplifted I was held resp and paid over 200.00 to the store for a shirt they caught him stealing.
    get a lawyer.
  9. AtThe Brink

    AtThe Brink New Member

    Yeah, we are quite aware of being responsible and I dread that. We just don't have the means to do it. Yeah, sure we do if we start selling a bunch of stuff.................sigh.
  10. goldenguru

    goldenguru Active Member


    Talk to an attorney about the Youthful Trainee Status. I'm not sure if they offer this program in your state, but it would be worth a question or two.

    Sorry your son made such a poor decision. Unfortunately sometimes their decisions hurt the entire family.

  11. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member

    Luckily in NC they dont hold the parents responsible for the kids crimes unless they do something really horrible I guess. We were never held responsible for anything Cory did and he did plenty though he never was charged with burglary or anything.

    I would check in with the juvenile courts. You can call them. Ask questions. I called and asked questions as a citizen. They should be able to tell you how things work. There should also be information online if you look hard enough.
  12. busywend

    busywend Well-Known Member

    Just hugs! I think we all dread this possibility!
  13. trinityroyal

    trinityroyal Well-Known Member

    As others have already suggested, I would strongly recommend getting an attorney before you proceed any further with the court system. The legal system is complex, and there are so many things that can trip you up if you don't have good advice from an experienced person.

    We're going through a similar situation with our difficult child, so I feel for you.

    Sending hugs and support your way.
  14. Star*

    Star* call 911........call 911

    My son age 16 was charged with 2 misdemeanor burglaries, and 1 felony burglary (depends on the time of day or night) and 12 counts of conspiracy to commit the crimes. He was in actuality the look out for 3 burglaries into homes. He never entered the houses, he just shared in the property that was taken.

    The other 2 boys that were with him were already on probation for breaking and entering, theft and only got a slap on the hand an a years probation for those crimes. For these crimes the only one that told the truth to the lying detective was my son. He had tried to kill himself and was in the hospital when the cop went to get him, did NOT marandize him, and did NOT let him have an attorney present. I still may/may not do something about this - we are looking into it.

    What I can tell you is to tell you kid to KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT around any police. GET AN ATTORNEY OR A PUBLIC DEFENDER. You usually can't get a public defender until after an arraignment. (first time before the judge). The police will bring charges against your son, and the judge will tell him then if he decides to appoint a public defender (KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT) don't say ANYTHING to the judge unless he asks you DIRECTLY.

    At this point, the JUDGE is the one who determines if your son is to go to juvenille jail. At that time the court may or may not arrange a hearing. If your son is under 13 he may only be kept in jail overnight and must have his arraignment in the morning through family court. IF it is decided that he is to be tried as an adult due to felony charges and the laws of the state he lives in he can either go to Juvenille Hall for Evaluation, Holding or get sent to the juvenille part of your local county jail separate from the adult inmates. IF he's older they can keep him in Department of Juvenile Justice/Juvenille hall or county for up to but not to exceed 95 days. Mine was kept 120 before they got him to a public defender and his hearing. That was wrong.

    When the hearing came, it was up to the public defender to go to the prosecuting attorney (the guy for the cops/state/victim) and try to make a deal. If a deal can be made it's based on the number of times your son has ever been in trouble, the seriousness of the offense(s), and basically the mood of the prosecuting attorney towards your kid, the cop and the PD(Public defender)

    My son who had never been in trouble before didn't get a little slap like the other two who once again got a slap. My son got charged with 2 felonies, and pleaded out on the consipiracy charges. The arresting officer had told us which ever kid told the truth? He would be there to help. When we called him to tell him when court was - he acted like he couldn't care less. He was a huge liar. My son took the rap for things he didn't do. My advice to him and all kids at this point may be wrong, but I would say don't tell the police A WORD without your attorney there.

    Also depending on where you live - an attorney for what MY son was facing started at $15,000.00. When it was all over my son (whom they waited on purpose to turn 17 in jail hence the 120 days) is now a convicted felon. He has 1000 hours in community service, 6000.00 in fines to pay off, probation each month at a tune of $41.00 each visit (for nothing but checking in. this money does NOT go to the restitution)

    I believe I would call your public defender office and ask them what can go on. Don't expect them to return calls either - they are over loaded. Our PD didn't even show up in court after giving us a 1 hour notice - he sent his secretary, legal-something or other. She was only there to open her mouth and say YES we accept the plea deal. It was okay. The felony my son was charged with carried a life sentence in SC. I was told by the PD that in SC you are better off to murder someone than to steal. I told him that my son NEVER entered the houses - the other two boys on probation did. Mine was the lookout. The younger of the three was 13 - he lied, and continues to lie and got a slap on the wrist. The other boy age 16, also on probation had 100 of his family members, preacher, and father *who does not live at home show up and all lied through their teeth to the judge and said he had never been in trouble, his mom and dad lived together, he was a productive member of the community and attended church 3 times a week (ALL LIES) - I muttered under my breath - well he must have broken into those homes after church.
    He got probation and community service.

    Both those boys were from the same neighborhood and we live a mile away. My son was told to stay away from the neighborhood. Both of those boys have been at my house twice since court. The last time DF told them he'd call the cop and let them know they were violating probation if they came back again. They were asked nicely NOT to come back the first visit - they as usual didn't listen. They were at our house because they didnt' see my truck - we think they were going to steel my sons bike. I should have let them and called the police.

    I am sorry you are going through this. Department of Juvenile Justice did not change my son despite the fact that there was never enough food, he got no counseling, and he was beaten up, he had to wear other peoples underpants, anything he had like pictures or letters, were taken and sometimes flushed or ruined. (Guards look the other way and want no part in solving problems between inmates here) My son was put on medicine that I had told his caseworker caused him to be suicidal. When I called the prison to tell them - I was told that I was being "duped" and manipulated. I told them that my son had just called and said he could hang himself and no one would know. I got ahold of another guard in another unit, he went down and checked and sure enough the sheet was up. So they put him on suicide watch and I sent a nice letter to the caseworkers boss.

    The only thing that has changed my son is the probation officer told my son that she has a work camp that makes Department of Juvenile Justice look like Disneyland and if he stepped out of line - BAM he goes back for 6 years. SIX YEARS - that means he would be 23 before he gets out of prison for something he did at 16. And THEN he would be on probation another 3 years to pay off his fines and do community service. Currently he is trying to find a job and get a GED and not living with us.

    Good luck.

    ps. Take care of you - please. Due to all the stress, the cops, the hospitalization, the attempted suicides, the lying detective, the lack of care at the jail? I had a stroke/heartattack. I was 42 years old. Please detach as much as possible. This could be a lesson for your son, even if your heart is saying "it won't be a lesson - you have to let it be one as much as possible."

    What did chanv

  15. AtThe Brink

    AtThe Brink New Member

    OMG, this is all SO much information. Which I appreciate every bit of it. But I am in shock, not knowing what to think. I need some time to reply so watch tomorrow evening for my response.
  16. witzend

    witzend Well-Known Member

    To reiterate, your son needs a lawyer, and so do you. A seperate lawyer. His best interests are not your best interests. You could be held liable for a sizable sum.
  17. Yeah, we are quite aware of being responsible and I dread that. We just don't have the means to do it. Yeah, sure we do if we start selling a bunch of stuff.................sigh.

    I'm not sure what agencies you have where you live. In Canada, we have an agency called "Legal Aid". They refer you to a lawyer who can help you and you pay on a sliding fee scale according to what your family can afford. My heart goes out to you-you have your hands full. Good luck to you and your difficult child. Sending hugs and prayers your way.

    :angel: :pet:
  18. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    Our experiences have not been as bad as Loan Ranger but they have
    been bad. We were naive. We honestly are educated people who
    are or were considered sophisticated. We "thought" that the system for juveniles was set up to guide the teen back to the right path and provide support to the family in achieving that
    goal. We were wrong. Some people in our Board family did have
    positive results and still find it hard to believe that those of
    us who have been hurt by the system have shared the correct and
    full story. Why? Because it doesn't make any sense to be afraid
    of your police, the States Attorneys, the Judges when you live
    in America and in a community that is basically decent and often
    seen as faith-=based.

    The police LIE to the children and it is legal. The police CAN
    interview teens without the parents present and without any legal
    counsel. Our son had been raised to tell the truth. Boy, the
    authoriites loved that. When he asked the 2nd time he got into
    trouble "can I call my grandparents or get an attorney?" he was
    told "yes, you can a little bit later but right now we're just
    talking so there is nothing to worry about".

    One friend on this Board had her son adjudicated as a felon at
    17 because the "nice detective" asked her husband if he would mind leaving the room for a couple of minutes. He agreed to get
    a cup of coffee. Her son will be a felon for life. That was in
    the midwest. In Florida we prearranged that our son would go to
    the Courthouse with his Grandad to sign some papers that our attorney agreed needed to be signed. Once there, they politely
    told my husband (who had just been diagnosed with cancer, by the way)
    that they were taking easy child/difficult child down the hall for a minute and would
    be right back. NOT! They put him in a police car and drove him
    to the next County to the Juvenile detention center. An hour later my husband was informed that our boy was gone.

    We now 100% agree with the above post. Tell your child to remain silent. Period. They will pressure him. Tell him to
    keep his mouth shut. It's probably too late now but I really
    wish you good luck. Just don't trust "them". DDD
  19. witzend

    witzend Well-Known Member

    You know, I would add that if you feel you don't have the money for an attorney for yourself, you might want to reconsider. It doesn't cost much to get a consultation, and if the other kids involved in this have access to money, your son could be the one left holding the bag. Putting $1,000 into an attorney now is much less expensive than putting your house up for sale or hocking your cars to pay the school district $20k plus your son's attorney's fees.

    If your choice is to let your son have a court appointed attorney and hire one of your own, or to hire one for your son and leave yourself unprotected, I say protect yourself. You could end up paying for this little escapade for decades.
  20. jamrobmic

    jamrobmic New Member

    This article was on MSN a while back:


    As far as kids not talking to the police, it seems to go against the way we were raised, but these days it seems to be a good idea for everyone, not just our difficult child kids. From what I've read, you don't have to be read your rights unless you're under arrest, so any info you give the police up until then can be used against you later.

    We reported my son as a runaway when he disappeared one night when he was 15; he returned home on his own the following day. Since we had notified the police he was a runaway, I had to notify them when he came home. The officer asked difficult child where he had been when we/they couldn't find him; he told the officer he was at a house the police had checked and hadn't found him there. So they charged him with false informing (lying to a police officer). He was locked up for that for four days, until we could make arrangements to bring him home under house arrest. His probation officer wanted him held in the juvenile detention center until his court date on truancy charges (charges we asked them to file when he skipped two days of school)-six weeks away. I think the judge took pity on me, or he would have done what the p.o. asked (they usually go with the p.o.'s recommendation).