3yr Re-evaluation

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by Jules71, Dec 18, 2013.

  1. TiredSoul

    TiredSoul Warrior Mom since 2007

    (I already posted this from my new Windows phone via Tapatalk but apparently it never posted - although I see it on my phone.)


    This will be the 2nd 3yr re-evaluation. We are at a different school this time. I get the feeling they are trying to push us out. I signed to consent for re-evaluation and asked for additional areas to be evaluated. Got an email back refusing those areas as the "team" does not feel they are needed. Did they forget I am part of the team???

    I need to know what I can do about that? And also what do I need to do to fight it if they say he no longer qualifies for Special Education?

    I want to be prepared. I am also having some private evaluations done.

  2. runawaybunny

    runawaybunny Administrator Staff Member

    When will school districts learn to communicate with parents?

    Parents don't want to become adversaries, they would rather use that energy to WORK WITH schools. Ignoring your input obscures issues and is very distracting to the core objectives of Special Education.

    You posted this a couple of weeks ago so your evaluation is probably already done. I hope this went well for you.

    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  3. TiredSoul

    TiredSoul Warrior Mom since 2007

    Thanks Runaway. It's coming up toward the end of this month. Not sure what to expect, but they will have a fight on their hands if they try to discontinue the IEP.
  4. TiredSoul

    TiredSoul Warrior Mom since 2007

    Does anyone understand how the part in red is determined?

    (c) If it is determined, through an appropriate evaluation, that a student has one of the disabilities identified in subsection (1)(a) of this section, but only needs a related service and not special education, the student is not a student eligible for special education under this chapter. School districts and other public agencies must be aware that they have obligations under other federal and state civil rights laws and rules, including 29 U.S.C. 764, RCW 49.60.030, and 43 U.S.C. 12101 that apply to students who have a disability regardless of the student's eligibility for special education and related services.

    Read more: http://www.conductdisorders.com/community/threads/need-idea-expert.56165/#ixzz2qJhvgIQl
  5. 4Tall

    4Tall Member

    You could (in writing) request an IEP and request the evaluations be done (the ones they refused). If they refuse again, then you can request an IEE (Independent Education evaluation) for those specific areas.

    Also, do NOT sign the IEP if they exit your child from Special Education. If you refuse to sign and state that you do not agree that he no longer needs Special Education, they have to continue his services until the issue is resolved.