A&E program "intervention" & my buddy Ken

Sunlight

http://www.aetv.com/intervention/

please take time to watch this if you have a child on drugs.

my buddy Ken has a daughter in the system. he has used this to help others and recently won the Parent of the Year award. he runs the
gopsst.org
site-please check there for great info on substance abuse. I try to put some links on our site from time to time too.
he has truly taken his hardship and turned things to help others even in his own pain. he has never given up on J, a sweet girl I have known since she was tiny. ken, his wife and family are amazing. here is what he recently wrote about her:

http://nevertheless-psst.blogspot.com/2007/10/turn-of-phrase.html

DDD

I regularly watch Intervention. It is helpful to see others in
crisis as it reaffirms what we all know on the Board. Addiction
is not based on socio-economic factors or a disease limited to those without familial support. Sad but true. DDD

MrsMcNear46

Janet-

We are faithful viewers of Intervention. I really think watching their stories helped keep my 2 daughters from going down the alcohol and drug road. My cousin who is a substance abuse counsellor also says she gets so much information from the show that she uses to help her clients. I think that every episode should be presented to middle and high school students as part of their learning experience.

My heart breaks for the families portrayed as it does for every family here on the board. I coordinated an intervention for my youngest brother who was a crack addict for 12 years. It truly has to be a hard lined, everyone on board effort to make it work. I found the hardest part to be not to enable after treatment and recovery. Being the "born enabler" that I am, I often wonder if his recovery would have come sooner had we as a family, stopped enableing sooner. I am proud to say that he has been clean for over 3 years and has his life back.

Jeff is one of my favorites on the show. I hope his daughter makes it. Thanks for the post.

Blessings,

Julie

susiestar

Roll With It
I didn't know you could watch this on the computer. I don't have any satellite or cable, and have wanted to see this. I am a firm believer in more info for mom and dad can help kids stay off drugs (incl alcohol) or get into treatment sooner.

The PSST website is wonderful. Much of it is along hte lines of love and logic (www.loveandlogic.com) as far as the role playing and Manny the Manipulator.

All of this is NOT being hard on our kids, it is showing them how much we love them. ESP being the Parent in Charge rather than having a Teen in Charge (or worse yet, Tyke in Charge which I see so very much of in parent groups here)

Hugs to all,

Susie

I love Intervention. I think it is one of the most real reality shows. It came on when my difficult child was in Residential Treatment Center (RTC). Some of the cases seemed to have been taken from my particular experience, and there was something very comforting (in a strange way) knowing that I wasn't as crazy as I thought I had gone during her addiction!! There was a mother on there that reacted exactly as I had, it was unbelievable!! My husband does not watch it, I think the pain is too real for him. He did watch one where a guy was sent to the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) my daughter was in while she was there. Unfortunately, she said that he got kicked out of the program for threatening someone, I think.

Anyway, it just gives a very real, painful experience of what addiction does to the addict and everyone/anyone who cares about them.

ck1

Janet: Thanks for posting this, I have not seen Intervention but will now add to my weekly tv lineup.

Regarding Ken...I completely agree. He is an amazing man and helped me more than once when I called him frantic about my sons situation. He was wise and kind and gave me very good advice. I was able to calm down and Ken helped me to see that the situation was not so bad and could be used to our advantage. Now my son is doing very well in the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF), we'll see how he applies his new-found strength and skills during his first home visit in two weeks!!!