ADHD medications for aggression

I have not posted here in a few weeks. My son's fits of rage we too much for us, so we decided to put him back on abilify. He still has meltdowns, but they are not as intense. He's still getting restrained a lot at school. He has a psychiatric appointment. next week. What I have been doing is using my cell phone to video tape some of his rages so his dr. can see what we are talking about. He seems to have a hard time focusing on his school work. I was wondering if adding ADHD medications like ritalin would do him any good? I have heard that those medications can make kids like mine much more aggressive. In the last few weeks, the school has called every single day at least 2 or more times. His meltdowns at school are so bad, they won't allow him on the bus to come home. My husband and I usually have to go pick him up. Here's another question that is way off topic. My husband works weekend nights, 12 hr shifts. Since my son is having major issues, he's had to take off quite a bit. He does get flma, but he don't get paid for it. In the past month, his paychecks have really sucked! Even with my son's monthly ssi. Not sure how much more time he'll have to miss. Anyhow, I went ahead and applied for food stamps. When I had my interview yesterday, they went back to what he was paid a few months ago and said we made too much. He was making ok money a few month ago. I just told her my husband is not getting the hrs he was. I did not go into detail about him using flma due to my son's condition. Should I appeal it? They will probably say that my husband volunteered to miss work even though it was flma.

Last edited:

TerryJ2

Hi Shelley, I don't know how old your son is, or whether he is Aspie or bipolar or what. So I can't answer your question. Are his rages precipitated by certain events, such as change? Or the word "no"? Or frustration if he can't do a task quickly, or figure it out to begin with?
Taping the rages helps so you can show the dr.
Have you taken him off of colored dyes and wheat and milk? Taking out those things really took the edge off when my son was little.

TerryJ2

P.S. Show the SSI wkr your husband's hrs on a printout. She can't just use the hrly amt and assume it's 40-60 hrs/wk. Yes, appeal.

My son is 10 and is non verbal autistic. We have no idea what causes him to fly off into a fit of rage. The abilify does work. He does get upset, but his is not as violent. He likes to look around when we try to get him to do his work. Since he started back on the abilify a few days ago, he had only had to be restrained once. I will ask the dr. about adhd medications. I'll have to wait until I get my fs denial letter to see what income they used. I can show them my husband's paycheck stubs and it will have the hrs on it. He is supposed to work 36 hrs a week. With my son's issues, he might work 12 to 24 hrs. But, since he had to take off to help me take care of our son, they will probably say using FLMA don't count.

TerryJ2

You're in a bit of a pickle. I'm thinking that as much as I'm not fond of social wkrs, you may want to get one to help you navigate the system.
I did not know that your son is nonverbal. Hmm. Autism can go so many ways with-medications. I'm so glad that the Abilify helps! All you can do is try the stimulant and see what happens. Also, ask all your doctors for free samples. We are being eaten alive by drug costs.

I will ask the dr. about samples. With the abilify, hopefully he won't have to miss much work. I do know a few people who find ways to abuse the food stamp system.

InsaneCdn

Stims for aggression? I've heard of stims causing aggression, but... not usually to treat it (usually either neutral, or can cause aggression). For some kids, a low-dose AP curbs aggression.