ambulance on way. she passed out and can't see.

Jena

hi.hmmmm i was pissy before, how am i now?? lol. let's see dresser clearing?? lol i dont' think so. too tired. you guys are awesome. i felt like writing to all of you while i sat in the e.r. but my phone wouldnt' go to internet :)so, everyone should come over now and bring a bottle of wine with-you please..............ok what happened. she woke up complaining she was dizzy, climbed onto my bed. i tried to talk her into drinking something carnation drink, oj anything. wouldnt' take anything. than i told her pls get into shower (easy child had been annoying me all day long via text that she needed something from home. ) told her forget it. we had new therapist appointment today. she got into shower and said to me i'm not feeling well. i sat in bathroom waiting. next thing i knew she said i can't do this. climbed out of shower. stood there and started screaming i can't see, her eyes were wide open and she was looking at wall yet talking to me. i siad you can see just deep breath. she was like no i cant' see at all. it was all so fast next thing i knew she was fainting, she fell i tried to grab her yet she hti the floor. she had no clothes on, was completely out. so, checked her breathing, tried to revive her, no good. went and grabbed my phone and called 911. got her dressed while she laid on floor. yea my big concern was her not being embarrassed with ems ppl. lol. yea what the hell is wrong with-me right? she began to come to moaning after like 20 minutes.ran dog to neighbors so he wouldnt' lick the death out of ems guys. they were great took us to the better hospital out here, got in trouble for it also. brought me to the back area that is used for helicopter landings. guy was so sweet sat driving and talking to me, i told him about difficult child just talking kept me calm. he said listen i was homeschooled and i'm just fine. maybe it's for her.they ran tests on her, didnt' wanna take more blood after yesterdays' lab work. they called the pysch dr. on phone. the dr. in e.r. and pysch dr. agreed to continue remeron and cut dosage in half for now. they still think i'Tourette's Syndrome best medication for her. they ran ekg's, talked to me about the not eating. said basically she's still got time before a feeding tube. your best bet is pyschiatrist on tuesday again and than intensive therapy. yea no duh i thought.husband was great as usual. only person who can really just keep it real during crisis. he's very calm, non reactive that presence alone just automatically keeps me in check. he showed up as soon as i text he met us at hospital and ran out of restaraunt. than he left after a while, went back to work than came back to get us and brought me food. when they checked her BiPolar (BP) and heart it was high regularly and also from sitting to standing, that's when they threw iv in her. I dont' know what else to say. didnt' call ex h till it was almost over on purpose. last time she was in hospital he wound up cursing entire staff out (he's nuts by the way) and making everything worse. so its' more work to keep difficult child calm and handle things light hearted and than cope with-his issues.i'm just beat up now. she's very very drained and tired. my ex h drove out and hes in my house now and my skin is crawling i want him gone. i even text hima nd said been long day please go your getting my god crazy that doesn't like him and revving up difficult child who should be in pjs and in bed.

Last edited:

Jena

i'm apprehensive to give her this medication again tonite. she still isnt' eating by the way. left e.r. and she said to h let's go get burger king, he was like sure. home now one bite. we talked alot in hospital about being healthy,nutrition eating and the importance of. maybe she just needs rest and than she'll fall into place tmrw. i really hope i dont go thru this again, or she for that matter. its' weird when bad things happen you just react, that adrenelin kicks in and you just "do".

klmno

I'm sorry you (and she) had to go thru this but am glad she didn't need a feeding tube. You know your child best but honestly, when I went months having trouble eating, pressuring me only made it more repulsive to me. See if you can get her to spend time doing something with you that she enjoys and will get both your minds off this. If she is willing to take one bite, don't ask her to take a second. Just my 2 cents.

Jena

klmno right now i just want a shower and to lay down. my stupid ex is here i asked him an hr ago to leave and he wont'. i told husband this would happen. he lied to difficult child today and told her i took day off special to take you out. huh..? so he was out and about all day and when heard she fainted jumped in car. meanwhile just covering himself because he told difficult child cant' see you this weekend i have plans. i can't stand this man. i just want quiet now.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Aw Jena. Many gentle hugs. I hate when ex's don't leave - they usually only add tension to an already tense situation. I hope difficult child settles in for the night so you can shower and rest up.My difficult child went through a time when she refused to eat anything but the bare minimum; we endured countless dr visits due to her passing out, visits to the ER, it was awful. It took a few months but she finally got passed it, I don't know what did it, but she began eating again. She was down to 98 lbs. Our dr had her coming in weekly for weigh-ins, which in my opinion only exacerbated it - but like I said, eventually she started eating again. She claims she didn't have an appetite and everything grossed her out. Even when she chose to eat, it was only a bite or two at the most. She wouldn't even drink liquids. I'm so sorry you're going through this with your girl. Hugs - get rest and update us tomorrow. by the way, which hospital did they take her to? Stony Brook university?

Jena glad you posted I was worried about you guys. You should be on safer ground now that your daughter got some IV hydration. She might feel better too, and better able to tolerate 1/2 dose of the Remeron with more circulating blood volume, even if she wasn't officially dehydrated. I think you got good advice about not mentioning eating -- it's not working anyway. Actually your daughter has *more* control (of her anxiety/Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues) if she can resist everyone's suggestions to eat. It's a solid, concrete pressure that she can concretely push back against. Restricting can provide a (falsely) reassuring focus in the ambivalent, frightening world of an anxious, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) kid. All or nothing. Nothing is definitely easier. Just thinking back to my own experiences -- gfg13 restricted for awhile and we had several trips to the ER over time. It was a stressful time for him (PTSD following many years of crises) and I remember he felt so powerful, almost giddy, when he refused to eat. What started it off was, he had some sores on his tongue and roof of his mouth after a temp of 104 (another trip to ER as I thought he was going to seize) and he is so sensitive to pain (in some ways) that he would not eat. Then he kind of got to like it that way. He was skeletal. Had lots of therapy and gradually began to eat again. We tried Remeron but it made him manic (just our experience -- wish we could have used it -- I was so bummed). Jo P.S. Sorry about this big paragraph -- I can't get the Editor to make paragraphs :~( I need my white space!

Last edited:

Jena

ex just left. sounds horrid yet i couldnt' deal. i'm sorry you guys went thru it also. i'll get better at it. :) thanks for all your thoughts, i appreciate it. gonna go take shower now. and yea stony brook. they were going to take to another one nearby but stony brook is better so they took us there. she's very sad about the not eating thing. ambulance driver was homeschooled seemed like a really nice guy. said to me wow it was so much better and i'm great. maybe school's just too much jen. by end of ride we were like friends. he said there are homeschool groups, you will make friends, she will make friends like a whole group of new ppl in your world and her's.

klmno

klmno right now i just want a shower and to lay down.

What do you mean you are tired and emotionally drained?? LOL!! (JK)

Actually, I didn't clarify but meant in general- maybe tomorrow or this weekend.

As far as how a person is feeling thru all this (the person going thru it), it probably differs from person to person and based on the underlying cause. Mine started as stress although I did have PTSD but wasn't aware of it at the time. Mine started with my stomachs in knots so much that I didn't have an appetite, then after trying to make myself eat after a couple of days, I threw it up- not intentionally- just due to stress and my stomach feeling so unsettled. That went on for weeks with me losing weight and having a more and more difficult time eating. I was married and my husband was physically abusive and I was stressing over how to get away from him for good, the guilt over pondering a divorce, and the reality that this meant I had to return to my mother's house to live and get her assistance with a divorce attny. After a couple of months going thru this and drastic weight loss, it really is hard to eat much at any given time. (Think about it- the stomach shrinks, the metabolism had changed, supposedly the enzymes or whatever in the stomach change, etc) My mother yelled at me over it, hounded me over it, accused me of trying to do it out of manipulation or for attention, etc. None of that was true and the more she hounded, the less I felt like eating because the more stressed I was and I knew she wouldn't leave it alone if I ate one bite- she would constantly push for more. After dropping to less than 85 pounds she startetd yelling about dying and hospitals and feeding tubes.

I left the next day while she was at work and joined the military. :) (The recruiter and I had to..well...stretch a few things in order to get me in because I was underweight.)

By the time I was out of boot camp, I was being told to watch my weight- I might need to lose a few pounds. LOL!!

Mind you though, I never had a phobia over choking and I was 18 yo and had a clear cause of major stress in my life that I was able to get away from. So I'm not telling all this because I think the circumstances are the same, cleearly they aren't. Just to try to add a little insight and offer suggestions and let you know that when she starts to eat again, it can't be expected to suddenly go back to regular meals- her body probably won't be able to and it will have to be gradual. Just like when a child is starting to get over the flu, we just start by offering a sip of liquid or soup. If that stays down, we offer a little more a few hours later. If it takes days to get back to eating regular meals, or even mini-meals, so be it.

Marguerite

Jena, stay cool and calm. This is terrifying when it happens, but increasingly, this is sounding like a really heavy component of hysteria. For example, the blindness - when did her vision return? When she came round? I got the feeling she was partly practising, when she was saying she couldn't see. Staring at the wall is how you practice (because a wall is blank) but in reality, when you really can't see, you still can hear and adjust your head position to at least roughly face the person who is speaking.

When I was a kid, I often woke up with eyelids glued together with bad conjunctivitis. I really mean GLUED TOGETHER. Even when I unglued them my vision would be blurry, assuming my eyes weren't so swollen they wouldn't open anyway. I always turned my head towards where someone was speaking, because it equalised the sound in my ears and actually made it easier to hear what was being said.
And it wasn't just me - when one of my kids had conjunctivitis, I remember the same thing - the blind head turning to face me.

Try it yourself with husband's cooperation. Take turns. Close your eyes and talk together. What is easier? Now pretend that you suddenly can't see - add in the panic factor. You probably would turn your head around wildly, not keep it fixed in one direction.

I also remember pretending, to try to help me understand what it would be like to be blind. This was because I had such bad eyesight anyway, and when I had to see the eye doctor for the first time my mother had told me the doctor would have to put drops in my eyes, and I wouldn't be able to see for three days. At least that is how I interpreted what she told me. I spent the next few days wondering hat it would be like, and also lamenting those three days of lost visual opportunities. I also practiced getting around with my eyes shut, to see how I would cope. How would I manage at school? How would I walk to school? I remember this in detail, even though I was only 7 years old. Maybe 8. That's how I remember the staring at the wall thing.

But with your daughter, I think part of it starts with "I wonder if...?" and then proceeds to a state of belief, of self-convincement.

Sudden apparent blindness with no obvious reason - the first thing they need to check out, is whether there is a blockage in the carotids, or if there has been a mild stroke. But given her history, they will have a few other issues to check out. Hysteria will have been high on their list, after the exclude obvious physical causes.

Next time this happens and she says she is blind, check her for pupil response. Let her sit on the bed while you flick the room light on or off. If she has pale irises, her pupil response should be fairly quick and easily apparent. If she has dark eyes, then you might need to sit close and observe by flicking a torch in and out onto her eyes. See how she responds.

The bloods - they wouldn't have been worried about drawing more blood if they needed it, but they can order more tests on the blood already taken, if they took the right tubes.

You're walking a tightrope. On the one hand, you need to take all alarms seriously. She also at some level is testing you to make sure you are looking after her. But at some level, no assurance is enough and so she ramps it up. I don't think she is doing this consciously. But on the other hand, the more you react, especially if you react with alarm, panic or "fix it now!" (which it sounds like her father is doing) the worse she will get.

The fainting - if she was faking, then it will have been an impulsive "I can;t handle talking about this any more, this is too confronting," and taking the soft option, to shut down. But when you do this, at some point you have to 'wake up' and face the music. When, and how, do you do this? While you're ling there you have fears - that someone will discover you are faking, and also that eventually you have to come back into the room and deal with things. Unless what you had to deal with is now gone. Sometimes it's a waiting game.

My sister used to pretend to faint. I copied her. But part of our game was to be convincing enough to prove that this time it was real, wile the other had to prove it was fake. Frankly, it was unhealthy and I didn't like it, we didn't do it too often and I think it stopped when I was about 6 and my sister 13.

Your daughter has problems, we know. She needs urgent help. Her father is not helping, but you know that too.

Next time she faints, throw a blanket over her. Otherwise, leave her as she is. part of having to deal with things is, "oops! I 'fainted' but I'm still not dressed!" By clothing her, you removed that factor and bought into it, if it IS hysteria. If it is not hysteria, then the embarrassment factor is something she has to come to terms with because she will have to face it very soon anyway, with the hospitalisation that is rapidly looming.

You can love your daughter and want to keep her safe, but to a point. She has to have natural consequences. When mother in law had a fall, she was in her pyjamas. Natural consequences, not her fault. husband & I had to help get her dressed. The ambulance officer helped. Any embarrassment was totally outclassed by the pain and fear that she had broken her hip. As it should be - if the need to call the ambulance is real enough, then embarrassment fades into the background. If the need is not real, then embarrassment becomes the biggest thing. It is a telling point at the time.

Jena, this is really rough on you. Whether she is genuine or not, you are being held to ransom by her condition. It is traumatic for you, adding on to your worry of her not eating or drinking enough. Amazing she is not dehydrated - how often does she shower? Is she drinking the shower water? Or drinking other water? She may not even realise she's doing it, I really don't know if she is fully aware of what she is doing.

What I think is happening - she is desperate to be looked after, to opt out for a while and have someone else do all the worrying about her. She is mentally exhausted, she is done. She is desperately calling for help. Would she voluntarily admit herself to a psychiatric ward? Or does she totally need someone else to make all the decisions for her? At some level she wants control over her own life; at another level she wants to hand it over. If someone were to take the choice away from her it would cause conflict but yet at some level, it is what she wants, I think.

it's a paradox in her head. I want to be in control. I can't handle control. I have to force someone else to choose for me. I don't accept other people to choose for me. And only the medical profession can really force the choices, because it means she can then say, "I had no choice; the hospital forced me to."

Hang in there, Jena. I do think her dad is a big part of the problem. Genetically as well as environmentally.

Marg

smallworld

When I was 14, I was in the hospital for an appendectomy. I was very weak, but my mother encouraged me to get out of bed and walk around. In the hallway, I suddenly felt faint and lost my vision. When my mother grabbed a chair so I could sit down to prevent me from fainting, my vision returned. So I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility for Jen's daughter to temporarily lose her vision as a precursor to fainting. In terms of dehydration, my own daughter had a choking phobia at age 8 and went two full weeks barely eating or drinking anything before being admitting to the hospital for placement of a feeding tube. My understanding is that children who have high fevers or who are vomiting or have diarrhea dehydrate quickly, but "healthy" (in quotation marks, because Jen's daughter is not psychologically healthy) children can go quite a long time without dehydrating. My own daughter was treated with medications (Zyprexa) and then intensive feeding therapy. Today she is a healthy and happy 12-year-old girl. She barely even remembers how frightening the weeks that she wouldn't eat or drink were. But I, as her mother, will never forget because they were truly the scariest days I've ever lived through as a parent. No parent should ever have to watch her child starve herself to a life-threatening point. Jen, I'm here for you anytime you need someone to talk to. Hugs.

visual loss is not uncommon with dehydration, nor is fainting unusual.
it doesnt sound like a hysterical episode, it sounds like a legitimate medical issue due to the circumstances. presumably, if she had an IV in the ER, they were rehydrating her.
the lack of eating is obviously a massive concern, but to go without liquids is even more of an issue...i might back off a bit on the eating for now, but i'd really push hydration as much as she'll tolerate.hope she feels better now after the IV.

Josie

I am reluctant to call physical problems faked or even due to anxiety. My daughter went through a few months of very low appetite and not eating much. For her, there wasn't any anxiety involved as far as we know. Around that time, she needed to hold onto something to walk or she would sometimes fall. She collapsed a few times while walking, not fainting, but overcome with fatigue or something. She said sometimes her vision would go dark. She would sit in the shower. I don't know what was causing all of this but I believe it was a real physical problem. She is physically ill and taking medications for that. Since that time, we have changed those medications. We also changed her Trazadone for sleep to Remeron to help her appetite. She has gained 12 lbs. Whether it is the change in medications, the increased appetite, or the weight gain, I don't know, but she doesn't have those problems any more. She does still sit to come down the stairs some of the time. I don't know if she is able to stand up in the shower. I hope you are able to find your daughter the right help and turn this around quickly.

Jena

hionly have a few min. and so much to read over when i have the time and fully awakeness is that a word to do it.marg you are usually sooo on target with-so many situations yet not with-this one. they tested her BiPolar (BP) and her heartrate they were off the charts especially with falling down and getting up. doctor's checked her thoroughly. this was no hysteria case, now i do have a drama girl on my hands....... and yes i be drama mom at times :) yet not today. she knew it was coming, i just didn't listen just kept pushing forward with her to take that warm shower. JERK me. i'm just glad she got out of the shower in time otherwise we could have a real problem today to deal with. i would never cover her and walk away when she faints. natural consequences umm that's a bit much. she fainted, due to lack of food for several weeks, little water, a brand new medication, a warm shower, and a whole lotta blood taken from her yesterday. there was nothing fake about today's episode. trust me.i've got the difficult child drama i'm going for emmy tonight down pat by now. vision loss is quite normal in this situation as several doctor's in e.r. told me. it usually happens quicker, vision loss than boom hit the floor. she just had to see the vision loss or not see it a bit longer than most. her body needed that fluid. regardless what that urinalysis said yesterday she was in deep need. when she hit the flr she was pale as a ghost. and i gotta be honest she handled the whole thing really well. by the time we got her into ambulance she was like listen i'm good i dont need this, mom can just drive me. slurring all her words lol. i was like umm no way am i doing that!!! than she laid down on thing while they took vitals and gave her air and fell asleep.
oh and marg she didnt' ask to be covered i covered her. she was out. see how i work is this i am beyond excellent during crisis. i could of cooked an egg and fed it to my neighbor while this went on. i'Tourette's Syndrome my MO always has been. problem is i come down later, crash, cry in my bathroom sort of thing. maybe you were mislead by my words.

Last edited:

Jena

and yea i'm all about the liquids now bigtime. heck with-the food. if she takes a few bites great like klmno said, yet water, gatorade, water. i knew it i said it two days ago to a friend i said i'm waiting to walk into a room and see her on the floor. i gotta admit and this is going to sound really crazy yet she was calmer today. granted she fainted yet thru the motions of needless and iv's and they were giong to draw more blood yet they knew we went to lab yesterday and she was all bruised up by it so they didnt' wanna take anymore they called pediatrician to see what he tested for. she was great. shakey but great. so maybe just maybe this medication in half dose will lower her anxiety a bit. who knows. iv'e been searching for an answer forever........yet my ex is sick also, this i knew for years. so that is where alot of her stuff comes from with a few gifts from me :)

TerryJ2

I've got my fingers crossed for the 1/2 dose. Whew, glad things are under control now.I have to agree with-Marg on this one: I do think her dad is a big part of the problem. Genetically as well as environmentally.But you already knew that. I hope you can get some sleep.

Jena

i agreed on that point also, yet def. not the rest. yet it's her dad she adores him. i just gotta work harder to undue what he does.you too. get some sleep. and hoping half dose works also.

Farmwife

I just wanted to chime in on the ex that never leaves. eeewwww. I would just die if the beast (my ex) ever stepped foot in my house.Next time just walk over to the door, hold it open and say "thanks for stopping by, it was nice to see you but we really have to get to bed now, it's been a really long day." If he says anything to protest just let him know he is alwasy welcome to stop by again the next day or over the weekend...unless of course he is busy.I am so relieved your difficult child is safe for the time being. I'm a little dismayed that they did so little for her though. Maybe I'm a bit confused but isn't she clearly a danger to herself and if they can't help in a concrete way before she heads home shouldn't hospitalization be in order? Your difficult child sounds like she is in a bad place and to just send her packing with a follow up appointment. and a "we'll see" seems a bit well...lame?!?!?I guess my point is, how much sicker can she get or does she need to get before they consider it an official crisis? i guess all this other stuff was preliminary and no big deal?I hate the way ER's handle mental health crisis situations. Somewhere between them and the insurance companies everyone but the patient and parents votes for a band aid and lolipop. Hardly worth the copay for the ambulance ride. I guess she walked it off in their opinion. Jerks!
what is up with the spacing today? html issues???

DammitJanet

I have fainted a few times in my life and the one precurser I vividly remember was that room going dark like magic and then hitting the floor. Nothing you can do.