Anyone know?? "canned cream" in Southern cookbook

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by DDD, Aug 16, 2007.

  1. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    My mailman just hollered in to ask "the cook" :wink:
    "What is canned cream?" :surprise: I haven't got a clue! LOL

    He is using a "Southern cookbook" recipe for catfish. It tells
    him to use various seasonings and canned cream to prepare the fish before frying. I told him my "guess" would be evaporated
    milk in cans and to avoid the sweetened condensed canned milk.

    Anybody know something else that a "down home" cookbook would
    refer to as canned cream?? He comes back by in about two hours
    so I'll flag him down if I'm wrong. DDD
  2. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member

    There is also a thing called "table cream" very sweet and very thick.

    I would think that condensed or evap milk would be fine. Soaking any type of meat/chicken/fish in milk for a while usually tenderizes it.
  3. SRL

    SRL Active Member

    That's a new one on me. My first thought was clotted cream but that doesn't sound right with catfish. I'd use evaporated milk.

    Here's a helpful website called Cook's Thesaurus:
  4. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    My grandma's sugar cookie recipe calls for "sour cream" (not the variety you dip your chips in) and she always made it by putting vinegar in a can of carnation, so my guess is that carnation is the "modern" substitute.
  5. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    I'll find out how it tasted Monday. Our mailman is one fine specimen of manhood. He and his equally attractive wife have
    three sons and spend 1/2 their life at the ball fields and the
    other 1/2 in He's quick witted, a devoted Dad and
    after ten years of being I find out he cooks, too. Wowser! (Somehow I am surprised by that, although I know
    he is a very hands on Dad. Very interesting.) DDD