Asking for positive, realistic ideas

klmno

Ok, I'm seriously trying not to panic. Since I panic when all I have are negative thoughts or think of the worst or beat myself up over things I can't do anything about, I'm asking for realistic ideas about what I can do now.

I need a job ASAP. I have seen an increase of ads in my field the past couple of weeks and have responded to over 20 in the past 10 days. I've gotten 3 responses saying I'm not qualified- I think that's because those particualr ads were a bit of a stretch (due to being under or over qualified). I haven't heard one word from the others. One that I did hear from was a head hhunter and I asked him if there was any problem with my references and he said no, they were fine. The only thing I can figure is that there are still close to 100 unemployed people for every one of these openings and the competition is just too stiff and employers can be as picky as they want as far as finding employees that have the exact expertise they want already.

Anyway, now that difficult child should be out in 10-11 weeks, I have to get a job in my state because there wouldn't be time to do the interstate study. Please don't list my state except in PM, but throw me any ideas you have about how to get a job- prefeerably that pays enough to support a child on. I want to move from this town and the only thing I can think of is to take day trips to different towns and get a newspaper and go to any place advertising. Is there any way to find out which areas have the most listings so it isn't a trial and error thing?

I've already sat home and respionded to anything I can find online but I'm not getting anywhere this way. Oh- when I said realistic, I mean things like I can't do shift work because I won't have anyone else to supervise difficult child and yes, he will have to have an adult around on weekends and at night. I can't get custody if I can't provide a home myself- rental is ok but apparently, renting 1-2 rooms in someone else's home is not. Governemnt jobs are out due to credit situation and now, due to the fact that I can't wait for their extensive advertising times before they close the ad and actually choose a person. I had been trying all these things and never got any repsonse anyway.

donna723

On the government jobs, have you checked in to a job with the state or just with the federal government? Most states don't have the same requirements about credit ratings as the federal system does - at least ours doesn't.

klmno

I had applied to state jobs but now it's too late to apply to anymore because they have to keep them listed (open) for a certain period of time before they actually give the position to someone. I have to have a job and be moved within a month so I can no longer wait several weeks to get an answer.

They may not have anything in your field, but have you tried any of the employment agencies? At least they might be able to find you something quicker than dealing with the regular online career search firms. I would imagine you have already tried Monster.com and careerbuilders.com?

klmno

I haven't tried employment agencies- actually it never even occured to me. Would they have anything outside of my location? I'm sure my profession wouldn't use them.

I have used the online sites you mentioned, along with a few others, to find openings and I've applied to those. This afternoon I have been using sites like that to try to figure out which location in my state might offer the most jobs I'd have half a chance of getting so I can take a day trip to that area and see if that helps.

I just received an email to one of the other places I'd applied to. Their ad was exactly for experience in what I do and have done. They are in a neighboring state but that shouldn't have been a major factor- unless they got plenty of resumes from people closer to them. Anyway, she said I didn't match what they were looking for. WTH- it was a perfect match according top their ad. Anyway, I shot back a very nice email thanking her for considering it and asking if she had time, would she offer some constructive criticisam and let me know why that decision was made. My resume format has bee the same for about 12 years and it has always gotten me a pretty good response for interviews so I doubt that is it. Maybe it's being unemployed the past year, although the profession has plummeted so that shouldn't be that major.

I'll take a job doing anything reasonable (I won't strip- but I wouldn't make any money if I did. LOL!). It doesn't have to be in my field.

DammitJanet

K...honestly I just dont know what to tell you. Check into county govt. They may be faster but dont know. I dont know anyone who is hiring. Check hospitals. Sometimes they can be hiring people to do intake or data entry. Not fun but its a job. In fact, call the temp agencies and ask them if there are any agencies or even companies that hire on through them temp to perm in another area you want to go to. That can usually be done in 90 days or so. There are a lot of large temp agencies now. Cant hurt to just ask.

What about just calling the major industries. Cut the state into quarters and pick. Call the major universities and ask about work. Call RECO and see if they are hiring.

Cant think of much else.

klmno

What's RECO? I've done colleges that had ads listed already. It's pitiful. Example- I'm a licensed professional with 20 years of experience in my field, over ten managing. I've applied for entry level positions and even basic, general office work (answering phones, being a receptionist) in offices of this profession, letting them know that I'm willing and happy to do the work and accept the going salary for that work. Do I get even an interview? Nope- I'm over-qualified. I've looked at ads for basic day care worker (completely unrelated to my field). They want a darn college educated person for early childhood educ and experience.

This last lady who emailed- she mentioned "the perfect fit". I guess emmployers feel the ball is so much in their court that they can and are only considering who they think will be a perfect fit, while I'm just trying to find something.

DammitJanet

Just type in RECO in google in your state. It will come up. Not far from you. My dad worked there for almost 40 years I think.

KTMom91

Have you thought about teaching? Adult schools and some of the technical schools want people with hands-on job experience to teach vocational courses. Depending on your state's requirements, you may be able to substitute teach as well.

I know it isn't a permanent solution, and you're on a time schedule, but at least you would be working.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Temp services. ???? I was "bought" (which goes to prove slaves MUST be purchased) and worked my way up in a company 7 years. Best money I ever made - which is not saying much, but.....

Then work at night at burger king or waitressing.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Temp services are a very good idea. Send your resume to ones in other cities where you are thinking of relocating. Also, I don't know if you've already been to the unemployment office, but they have lots of resources for job searching. Even if you aren't applying for services, you can usually use their resources. Craigslist is another idea, as well as the national organization for your field of expertise (such organizations tend to have "job banks"), or any local ones. Create a profile and upload your resume on LinkedIn.com, and join groups specific to your field of expertise there, or other groups ... that seems to be a popular site right now for networking.

You may have already thought of some of those, but those are the ones that came to me off the top of my head..

JJJ

Have you tried the temp agencies? I worked as a temp for a while and ended up as a finance manager for a very large company, making more than double what I did in my old job. It took about 6 months of various temp jobs until I ended up as a temp at that company and then 6 months of working there as a temp before I was brought on full time.

Temp work would give you a foot in the door to companies and jobs you may have never considered (I NEVER would have applied to this company. It never would have occurred to me to try the job I got.)

klmno

Thanks everyone! The only issue about temp jobs is that if I was going to stay in this house, I need a permanent job making a certain amount of money to work out the finances. I could make it on 70% of what I'd earned before, but it would have to be a permanent job. I would still probably need to file bankruptcy but I could keep the house.

As far as moving- I'm not so sure it's a good idea to put down deposits and rent (which will take about all I have left) to move to a place for a temp job.

I have already been pursuing several of the things mentioned but maybe I can try a different angle after reading these responses.

Crazy- I'll PM you tomorrow.