Asperger's and lying

JimArj

Your displeasure? Your lack of trust? Making him write a letter of apology for lying?
Hi Marg
I hope this post finds you and your family well.
I am new on this forum and stumbled across your wise posts when looking for answers as to whether children with Asperger's are capable of lying. I have 13 year old twin sons and they are both diagnosed with Asperger's although J has the autism diagnosis and A the Asperger's one. J is incapable of telling lies although he has tried it and failed miserably. A on the other hand has been telling lies since as long as I can remember. That in itself doesn't bother me, its the fact that they have evolved now and it involves trying to get his brother into trouble and I don't know how to deal with that. He has admitted to being jealous of his brother because his brother is well behaved due to being a rule following autistic child, whereas A is highly anxious and if there is a rule it is there to be broken. He seems to struggle with the fact that they both have the same condition but are so completely different, making out that his brother is far worse behaved than what we believe him to be (lie). Can you help? I think that a lot of what A is feeling could be normal sibling rivalry but it is the jealousy that is worrying me because I know first hand how destructful it can be. (my sister was/still is very jealous of me growing up claiming that I was the favourite and more spoiled for being the youngest).
I live in Glasgow Scotland by the way
Thanks in advance

JimArj

Hi,
I am new on this forum and stumbled across some wise posts when looking for answers as to whether children with Asperger's are capable of lying. I have 13 year old twin sons and they are both diagnosed with Asperger's although J has the autism diagnosis and A the Asperger's one. J is incapable of telling lies although he has tried it and failed miserably. A on the other hand has been telling lies since as long as I can remember. That in itself doesn't bother me, its the fact that they have evolved now and it involves trying to get his brother into trouble and I don't know how to deal with that. He has admitted to being jealous of his brother because his brother is well behaved due to being a rule following autistic child, whereas A is highly anxious and if there is a rule it is there to be broken. He seems to struggle with the fact that they both have the same condition but are so completely different, making out that his brother is far worse behaved than what we believe him to be (lie). Can anyone help? I think that a lot of what A is feeling could be normal sibling rivalry but it is the jealousy that is worrying me because I know first hand how destructful it can be. (my sister was/still is very jealous of me growing up claiming that I was the favourite and more spoiled for being the youngest). I live in Glasgow, Scotland by the way. Any advice greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

InsaneCdn

Hi, Jim, and welcome to our little corner.

This is a very old thread that you have posted on.
You will get more response if you start your own new thread.

amanda heinbaugh

If he's only thinking in the moment, then you need to get into his head and anticipate what his answers will be if he is a) innocent or b) guilty. Then re-phrase your question, and watch his body language.

A lie is generally more complex than the truth, and harder to sustain. It also needs to be internally consistent, and here is where an Aspie can fall down. They DON'T plan ahead, and so get caught out more easily. We found we had to punish lying far more, than punishing what they were lying about.

Marg
Hello I found this site only because I was looking up for any info on raspberries and (lying about knowing topics when they truly don't have any knowledge on it) my son now at 14 in October is becoming a lying know it all.
Lol even if I correct him with based info on facts...it s unnerving when you correct him by saying it's not correct when he states(or lies) to me.
Now he does happen to be right on a lot ......Part of the passion on topics but....yes. and a bigger yes....they can lie....and they can be in trouble and admit too. On a given day the truth and own it ....with no emotion or worry of consequences of action the event that's being bring up.

It's confusing :) how do you punish a child sometimes when they don't comprehend the severity of the wrong doing...then the other side they can be straight arrows on rules and behavior...for others.....but hey can't see their wrong doings.....lol I pray for all in this journey...for me..I'm losing my hair from stress and worry .....he is a natural born explorer....he has no boundaries......On days and always wants to do something or build things