back up plan

Steely

So Matt is bottoming out of this program. I can't even go into the details, it is just too distressing.
What is a 19 year old like this supposed to do with no job history, no education? One who seems addicted to his behavior, anger & issues?
I cannot have him here, so that is not even an iota of an option.
I need concrete ideas if anyone has them.
Thanks.

DammitJanet

Well...I will give you my list of ideas.

His placement should help you get him approved for SSI. In fact, I would be surprised if they havent already started that process. With him out of your home and as disabled as he is, he would be a shoe in.

Next, once he gets that approved, he can find affordable housing. Be that a group home or assisted type housing for a mentally ill person or simply low income housing or even a dumpy cheap place that he can afford on his SSI.

I would recommend you find this in some area with some form of public transportation so he can get around easily unless you plan to gift him with a car and insurance. I wouldnt recommend that.

Find community mental health centers close to his new living arrangements so he can continue ongoing care.

After all that is set up and he is comfortable in that situation...then at some later time, he can look into his GED or some small part time job. Down the road.

Steely

Where would I go about finding a group home or assisted living for him? He is not going to be able to stay in my town, because there are only 5k people in it, and we don't have those services. But I was thinking he could go to a nearby major city and he could get set up there. But I don't have any idea where to find group homes or things like that.

DammitJanet

Call mental health in that major city...ask them about services for a young adult who is (whatever Matt's diagnosis is) and you are looking for assisted housing and mental health services. Tell them you will also need case management services.

klmno

Steely, I found the lists of every place approved for various types services and what "pool" of funding is approved to cover it in our state. It was online and I'd bet you could find this for your state too. I will forewarn you- it can be discouraging. This is where I realized that the reason difficult child would only get behavior mod/behavior contracts if he got any type of in home service is because being on probation, the pool of money was Department of Juvenile Justice money and that is all it pays for- it would not pay for any other type of mental health treatment. And if it failed, we get blamed and he would get committed to Department of Juvenile Justice anyway. It had nothing to do with tailoring the treatment to the child and didn't matter which company they got the treatment from.

But you/M don't have that issue, fortunately. Now, the way I found this- I started with the state governement website and poked around the links for mental health care and services for "at-risk" youth (this included transitional services for older teens), and found the link for the people in the system to use to find what what their pool of money would pay for, company names, types of services, etc. They listed group homes, various types of mental health services, etc.

One advatage is that if they are "state approved", they have to be accredited, or checked by the health dept., or at least somehow proven to be a legitimate service provider and meet minimal guidelines.

smallworld

What does your ed consultant say?
Is it possible you should wait until you recover from mono and see Matt in person to make any major decisions about happens next with Matt?

Steely

Yes, I am not making any sudden moves, I am just gathering info at this point. The ed consultant is doing the same, but he does not get back until Jan 1st to assist. The ed consultant has not really said his feelings one way or the other and I am not completely throwing in the towel on this program - I just feel like I can see the writing on the wall - and I would be a fool to not be proactive.

It is a very discouraging situation. Matt was doing so well. And now he is consistently at rock bottom and staying there. It has been months now.