Bad Weather

tiredmommy

There is nasty weather from the Great Lakes to the Northeast today, some areas could have blizzard conditions. Please be safe.

BusynMember

How about no wisecracks from those in Florida and California? ;)

We are again below zero with the wind chill, which is encouraging me to not warm up my car until later than usual. Not good because I do have commitments. Right now, however, I am waiting for a guest and my son just left for work. I shivered when he opened the door. What a cold gust of air!

I hear it snowed badly in the Illinois/southern Wisconsin area.

What's going on elsewhere?

tiredmommy

Hi MWM, I already started a bad weather thread, so I'll merge these together. It's bitter cold here and I'm a little sore from clearing both my driveway and that of my neighbor.

Wiped Out

Staff member
We drove home from Michigan yesterday; it was not fun. I lost track of the number of cars in the ditches. I took us way longer than usual but we made it home safely! Hope others stay warm and safe!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Snow missed us this far North, but Chicago and Milwaukee got clobbered. We're just bitter cold like we've been for the last 2 weeks. Monday the HIGH is supposed to be 20 BELOW zero (That's Fahrenheit for you Celsius folks). Temps that night will be a balmy 30 below 0 F. I shudder to think what the windchills will be.

Of course, beyond a certain point, it's just "stupid cold" and you stay in as much as possible. taps are left dripping even with heating tapes on the pipes in that kind of cold. Better to pay the water company an extra hundred bucks than to pay the plumber a thousand or more for a burst pipe or three.

For those of you in the chill zone, take care and follow precautions. This is colder than most of the US is used to, and requires caution in dressing and driving that we normally don't have to take.

Those of you in Canada...you can have your weather back any time now. Why is it you share the cold so willingly in the winter, but keep it to yourselves in the summer?

Ephchap

Here in my area of Michigan, we got clobbered with an ice storm the week before Christmas, then had about 4-5 days respite and have been dealing with falling snow again the last 5 days or so. In the last 24 hours, we have gotten 6-8 inches. Add that to the 6-8 already on the ground, and its been crazy

I know they say the two storms will collide together and hit New England with about a foot or more in some areas

Stay safe and warm, everyone!

Deb

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
This storm caught me by surprise because I don't go to work until monday and since it isn't absolutely necessary for me to drive.......I wasn't paying very close attention.

I did check the forecast and temps are to plummet throughout the day down to a whopping 5 degrees tonight and lord only knows what the windchill will be with that wind because it is supposed to be strong.

We already have a good 5 inches, maybe more........drifting is beginning to make it difficult to tell. Predictions I saw last night for us was 1-2, then perhaps up to 4 by the end of the day/evening. Phht. It's snowing harder. Our warning has been extended until 10 pm.

I had to go out for cigarettes and to fill the tank of the car. I don't like to have it low with sub zero temps. Travis cleared it off for me.......and we bit the bullet. Now it seriously did NOT look bad. Our way to the gas station was actually not bad. But after filling up I noticed when I turned on the wipers what hit the windshield while we were sitting there had already frozen.....quick freeze style. Not a good sign. Streets were not as clear as I thought. Plows oddly aren't doing that much, even on main roads there is snow/what once was slush is quickly freezing even with traffic. So maybe that is why they're not doing much. Way out wasn't bad, way back (maybe 15 mins later) I could already tell the difference on the streets and I chose main roads for the trip back home instead of side streets.

I learned to drive in snow. But I do not like ice. I may be walking to the bank ect to pay bills tomorrow instead of driving. Fun. But couldn't park due to the way they pushed what snow they did move into the parking spaces.

Snow is thick on tree branches and heavy. Somewhat on power lines too. I hope this doesn't mean an issue with power later but I'm ready for that at least.

This is the only time I miss having tv. Trying to find an actual tv type forecast online is a major pain in the rear even if you go to the station websites. It's just not the same, trust me.

This afternoon I'll be fixing up my puppy crate for Midnight and bringing her inside. I'd just let her be loose in the house as she is litter box trained......but Rufus wouldn't leave her alone for a second and Bruce wouldn't either and I could imagine the fun I'd have. omg But I don't want her out in sub zero temps with no Rowdy with his fort of hay bales to snuggle with and keep warm.

cubsgirl

I'm in Chicago - we got quite a bit of snow - hard to say for certain but my neighbor's car hasn't been cleared off and it looks like a foot. It finally stopped but it had pretty much been snowing since around 3pm on New Year's Eve.

I'm ready for winter to be over....or to move to Florida.... :)

The next round is really cold temps.

slsh

member since 1999
So far about 7 inches here. Not horrible nor the worst I've seen, but seems we got more than our usual share of lake effect stuff today.

The thing that has me almost in tears is Monday's forecast - after more snow this weekend, the *high* on Monday is going to be -10 (before windchill). Low will be -12.

I'm thinking perhaps Diva will not return to school on Monday, LOL. I'm not crazy about getting out on the road when it's that wicked cold.

I think I've convinced husband (after 16 years in this frozen heck) that moving to IL wasn't such a hot idea, LOL. :snowball:

Kathy813

Staff member
Can I make a wisecrack from Georgia? Oh wait, tomorrow's high will be 36 degrees with a low of 21 degrees. Never mind.

~Kathy

Last edited:

Kathy813

Staff member
TM & Wiped Out, will y'all please keep those temperatures up there? Next Tuesday's forecast is a low of 18 degrees and a high of 27 degrees. We don't like that down here.

BusynMember

Can I make a wisecrack from Georgia? Oh wait, tomorrow's high will be 36 degrees with a low of 21 degrees. Never mind.

~Kathy
Kathy...hehe...if we were at 36 degrees people would be walking around in sweat shirts and talking about how nice it is ;) But I know...you aren't used to it. It's all relative :)

BusynMember

I just heard it should be negative 30 with the windchill next Monday with a high below zero. Fun, fun, fun!!!

Maybe the cold weather will help the Packers? They need that help...

DDD

There is nasty weather from the Great Lakes to the Northeast today, some areas could have blizzard conditions. Please be safe.
I think you guys know where I live BUT it doesn't mean that my support is diminished. It's like when we have hurricanes. It's a son of a gun but the rest of the Board is hoping and praying that our members are safe and sound. Sending caring hugs. DDD