Blindsided

Marguerite

ThreeShadows, you said,
He has no right to dictate to you. If this were my son, I would tell him he is no longer welcome until he gets some therapy.

I think the problem here is - he's IN therapy, of sorts, and is following the advice he's been given. I can hear it now, a self-help group of other newly-fledged gays, all scratching at the world and trying to find someone else to blame for their pain. Because while it is NOT a lifestyle choice, it IS a lifestyle of difficulty and a lot of pain. Others in the group (or the gay therapist he's using for counselling) are undoubtedly projecting their own pain and experiences and encouraging him to lash out first so he can justify the rejection he is fully expecting. And if he continues to have a massive chip on his shoulder like this, then he WILL find himself rejected. Rightly so. But of course, he will blame it all on you, or on his being gay, and will be in a pattern of always blaming others and never taking personal responsibility.

Being gay does not give you a free pass to be nasty to everyone else, and then blame rejection on being gay. Nosirree.

Katya, do you think the letter has been prompted by a counsellor? (an idiot counsellor, but gay groups have plenty of those!) It would make sense to me.

The gay community has a lot of wonderful people. It also has a lot of really nasty, mean, dysfunctional people. He is 19 and vulnerable, especially to the nasty control freak kind of gay who wants to use other people to wage their own vendetta on the straight world.

Ok, now to look at the letter and the issues -

That letter is setting you up for failure and for further criticism from him. If you react (as you should) with hurt, then you are disobeying his orders (and what right does he have, to tell you how to feel?) If you fail to feel hurt (as he instructed) then obviously his attack on you and its failure to wound shows you don't care about him as much as you said.
So whichever way you look at it - he has the perfect excuse to get angry even more. But he laid the groundwork in tat letter, it has been worded very skilfully, which is why I think it's been drafted by someone else, he's been egged on to write this.

I will seem to be digressing here but bear with me - easy child 2/difficult child 2 was going out with exBF for several years. His mates didn't like her, I think mostly because he was the first in his group of (all male) friends to get a girlfriend, and it was the beginning of the break-up of their group. Once a girl comes on the scene, a guy is less available to his mates. So they resented easy child 2/difficult child 2. Then exBF would talk to his mates at times when he and easy child 2/difficult child 2 were not able to be together (usually because she had studies, or work) and the mates would feed his insecurities.
Finally exBF decided to break up with easy child 2/difficult child 2. In tis he was encouraged by his mates, who wanted their buddy back in the fold with no distractions. So they were actually in the background when he rang to talk to her and break up with her. She said she could hear them in the room. Then, to make sure he wouldn't change his mind (which actually, he did) - they took him out for a few beers then went home to his computer, made him draft some posts online about easy child 2/difficult child 2, really catty posts about "she has the maturity of a 12 year old and the breasts to match" (which they knew was a sore point with her). Really nasty, childish stuff.
But exBF was sad to lose her, he then spent the weekend with easy child 2/difficult child 2's friends and told them how awful she had been, at the same time as calling her and asking to get back together again.
He has since told us about his (now former) mates' involvement in forcing the break-up. We've met his new girlfriend and seen evidence in his life - he is NOT over easy child 2/difficult child 2 in any way.

Very sad.

But it was all forced by his friends, he was too easily influenced. Frankly, I'm glad they have broken up, very glad she moved on fast and is now married to the bloke who came after.

What I'm trying to say - your son is away at college. He's found a new direction in his life, taking him off at a very different tangent. At his stage, he's probably seeing the world as us and them, black and white, gay and straight. One of the other. Nothing in between. Right and wrong.
But we all know, it's not like that.

The problem is, he is being forced to make a choice, to make decisions that will burn his bridges. So to make sure he is ready to do this, and to actually make sure he actually can't turn back - he has been "encouraged" to write this letter. He obviously has been feeling pain, but has chosen to dump the entire load of pain onto you, rightly or wrongly. Frankly, this is NOT a healthy choice (although it is what some therapists would choose to do) because he is still focussing on the past and not the future. Also it's forcing the issue when at a lot of levels, he may not be ready.

I'm wondering if this is a college thing. Or maybe it's simply the time of their life, when a young man, first away from the influence of home and seeing a wider range of experiences, finds himself also surrounded by new friends who are pulling him in directions he probably isn't quite ready for, but also doesn't have the strength to resist.

As for not telling your husband - what you tell him is up to you, nobody else can dictate. If someone has a secret to tell you, they should first ask you for confidentiality, and ascertain your willingness to keep the secret, before divulging. But you have several levels of issue in this letter:

1) He blames you for his emotional pain.

2) He is announcing his imminent arrival publicly on the gay scene.

3) he is anticipating your rejection and so is rejecting you first.

4) He is trying to control you and control your reactions - this is inappropriate, unfair and setting you up for failure, as well as justification of his rejection of you. He's trying to have it all his way.

5) He plans to be just as hurtful to each other member of his family, each in turn, and you are forbidden form warning them. This of course will damage your relationship with them and the mutual trust you all have.

How sure can you be that they haven't already received their letters? If your instinctive response to this question is, "But I would have known, they would have told me..." then HOW would you know? How sure are you they would have told you? And if you are sure they would have told you - WHY are you not telling THEM?

I do think it is perfectly acceptable, even if you plan to keep this confidence, to tell your family, "I received a letter from difficult child 2 in which he blames me and the religious upbringing you have all had, for his emotional pain. HIs letter has upset me a great deal, because he seems to be rejecting the love I have for each one of you, and the loving way I have tried to always do the right thing for you, within my ability as a mother. He has also said he will be writing to each one of you, and I am also not permitted to feel upset, nor am I permitted to tell you in detail what he has written to me."

I would at the very least say this to your husband. Your relationship with him goes further back than your relationship with your son. Your son has absolutely no right to put any barrier between you and your husband. None whatsoever. If your son had said to you, "My father molested me as a child," then the first thing you should do is talk to your husband to find out his response to that accusation.

The problem is, a lot of people in the gay community blame religion for their own sense of rejection. But while some people use faith as an excuse to attack gays and to reject them, it is always a personal choice. And the choice to feel rejected or not - also a personal choice.

I wouldn't reject this son when he comes home - it is what he expects, but also what he will almost triumphantly embrace if/when it happens, and happily blame you. The person who pushed him to write that letter will then respond with an "I told you so," and comfort him, adding to the breach he has already caused by getting him to write this letter.

If instead you respond with love, this will take the wind out of his sails. When you expect hurt and anger, then you are braced for it. Please, make it clear tat you love him as he is.

But also make it clear - that letter was needlessly hurtful, there was absolutely no reason to be so vicious and so mean. If he's feeling upset and angry, then you should always be able to talk about it. But he has to take some personal responsibility for feelings - just as you have your own right to feel hurt by what he said (and he cannot tell you otherwise), so he has to accept tat he has his own right to be hurt, or not, by what happens in his life.

He has acted immaturely and badly. He has hurt you even though you love him. Of course there will have been times when he felt ignored while your attentions were caught up with siblings. But ALL kids feel this way! His 'gayness' has absolutely nothing to do with this at all! Choosing to blame being gay, for the rejection, is childish.

It will be very difficult to be loving and welcoming when he comes home. Someone somewhere is counting on this, and counting on him being hypersensitive and storming out in a scene, swearing to disown you all. Whatever you do, try to do your utmost to leave the door open. But make it clear - independent of his pain, his gayness, or whatever - you do NOT deliberately hurt people like this. Any hurt you ever caused him, was never done with malice aforethought the way this was. Yes, he has a right to say, "mom, you hurt me. I felt hurt when you only saw my brother and ignored me." But he has to let you TALK about it with him, for heaven's sake!

The best thing for him now, is a supportive family. He is coming out, he really needs as much support as possible. But someone in his support circle is being possessive and trying to cut you all out of his life.

I don't think this letter came entirely from him.

But yes, he signed his name to it and allowed it to be sent, so he deserves his new difficult child status.

This is so painful for you, you poor darling.

The only advice I can give you, is to never stop loving. It is painful, but it is better than to have a hard heart.

Let us know how you get on.

Marg

busywend

OK - I think I have a different view on this one from everyone else. I did not read every word above, but I gathered the anger and outrage.

I look at it this way. This boy has had it rough. No, not by the hand or mouth of his mother. His own mind. Being different - no matter what reason (gay, handicapped, ADHD, BiPolar (BP), blind, etc) is a difficult road to travel. Not just for that person, for all around them. But, probably most difficult on the person that has the difference. They are the ones that have to stand out in a crowd - at least in their minds they do.

So, this boy has been different, just like difficult child has. Only he got no attention for being different (of course - nobody knew he was different). difficult child did though.

I guess my thought about the reaction to this letter is this:

1) Do NOT share this with husband.
2) Shoulder the burden for him now. Take it off his chest. Relieve him of his pain. How? Apologize for not giving him the attention he needed, tell him you are proud he is standing up for himself and finally being himself, support him in his future struggles that will come with being gay.
3 ) Once you have taken on his pain - toss it out. It is not real for you. It is HIS pain. You did nothing wrong in parenting him, it is just what he was destined to go through.

Imagine is he had pain from cancer - how many parents have actually said, "I wish I could feel the pain for him." or "I wish I could take it all away." You can do that for your child.

Just MHO.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
As I reread posts I had a couple of questions....................... Who is helping with college? Is he totally on scholarships? HIS loans? OTHER family members contributions? If he is so totally disgusted with your treatment why is he coming home in a couple of weeks to "stay" at your home? Sounds to me that he was off for first experience at college and trying to make decisions, but doesn't understand reality of who gave him this opportunity...................YOU did. Is there any question that he would not be there except for YOU? HE doesn't think about this because he has probably yet to be on his own in the REAL world. He is making tiny decisions about whether he goes to class, if he stays in a dorm, what he eats for lunch......... not the big ones like where will I sleep tonight if I have no support from my family, what will I eat if I have no support from my family, how can I survive if I have no support from my family? I am not saying to stop your support of him, just that he doesn't realize where his support is coming from and could be under the influence of others (as Marg has suggested) and thinks THEY will give him unconditional support which likely is a very flawed assumption...........
Guess I would tell him he has more decisions to make. If he feels so mistreated at home he should find somewhere else to stay and someone else to provide funding. You are NOT upset by his lifestyle choice, only that he feels so wronged by you. No shouting, no arguing, just calmly state this is your choice to make, you are welcome at my home as a guest, but if living there is so horrible you would hate to see him accept YOUR help and feel that he is living with such "intolerable" conditions. Now you realize that this will mean he will go back to friends saying he has been "disowned", it depends if YOU are at this step with him. If he is still planning on coming home sounds like there is room for discussion, just keep it on YOUR terms......... it's YOUR life too and it is YOUR home he is returning to. You don't need to apologize for providing a house with rules of respect.

katya02

Solace
Marg, that is exactly what has been in my mind - that difficult child 2 has had coaching in writing his letter. I have no doubt he's found support at university and, as you say, I think it's fairly likely he would run into some people who would have their own agendas, their own rage to project, and their own ideas about him needing to cut off his family. I think he wrote the actual letter except for a couple of sentences that don't sound quite like him. I wish I could point out that others who offer support may have their own issues/agendas, but that will not be well received. On the other hand, nothing may be well received. I do feel set up as the scapegoat for his 'reasons' to cut us all off; I'm sure there will be a similar letter to husband that will tend to lead to hurt and confrontation, giving difficult child 2 the excuse to say his family is terrible. Someone, somewhere, wants this. I agree.

I have apologized to difficult child 2, extensively, for causing him pain. No matter what my perception of his past, if he feels pain I accept that and am sorry for my role in causing it. He told me an apology doesn't matter - he has forgiven already - but he needed me to know his entire story and suffering; he needed me to share his pain. That's where he loses me. No one else can live your pain exactly; I have never tried to force anyone, least of all my mother, to 'experience' the pain of my childhood, for example. That is particular to my experience. Knowing that he wasn't seeking acknowledgement and apology, but only wanted to be sure I felt his pain, has really made it hard to feel kindly toward him. Indeed, whatever hurt I gave him in years past was never intended; this letter of his was meant to cause pain, probably meant to cause an explosion that would let him feel justified in walking away.

WM, difficult child 2 just finished sophomore year and has a four-year full tuition scholarship; however, it only covers about half his expenses as living, activities, and all the hundreds of extra charges the university thinks up are not covered by the scholarship. In addition, we have sent difficult child 2 on one summer study course and he expects to study abroad at some point as well as live elsewhere at our expense during at least one summer while doing an internship with a company. He also wants to do a fifth year that will not be covered by his scholarship, so we would be footing the bill for all costs that year. His statement on the phone that he had considered just waiting until he was done and then having a huge rant and never speaking to us again made me ANGRY - that he would just use us to fund his degree while planning to walk away as soon as it was done. He does have a huge sense of entitlement. He throws difficult child 1 in my face frequently, comparing himself favorably and then pointing out that we haven't done as much for him as for difficult child 1 who has given so much trouble; he also is very jealous of easy child 1 and tells me everything we do is for easy child 1. I feel that nothing we do, no matter how much, will ever be enough to calm his sense of grievance and resentment.

I have talked to my husband and daughter this morning; neither has received a letter yet. I shared with them that difficult child 2 had sent me a letter that caused me pain; that he blames me for his religious upbringing and for his emotional pain; that he doesn't want me to share that I have received his letter, but he intends to send letters to everyone in the family. I told them I just wanted them to have some preparation and to feel free to talk once they get their letters. daughter has a lot of anger at difficult child 2 due to his ongoing criticism of her, and I think she will be all right; husband raised an eyebrow at me and shook his head. I think he has a perfectly good idea of what's coming. He said he can't tell difficult child 2 what to feel, and if he feels pain or resentment, then he feels it; he will see what his letter says.

I appreciate all of your comments so much ... I'm sorry not to be answering each letter, but I have read and keep rereading them all and they are all incredibly helpful. Your thoughts and support have put me back on my feet emotionally and I am gaining much better perspective. difficult child 2 certainly knows where to strike to hurt and that was all I could focus on before; but with him coming home so soon (he actually wants me to drive to his college tonight, ninety miles each way, to bring him the pillows he forgot after spring break, as he has neck pain with his borrowed pillow - I may see him tonight with husband) I need to have my thoughts in order. You are all right - he needs to show us some basic respect and civility in this. There need be no terrible confrontation because neither husband nor I is going to reject him over his orientation. But difficult child 2 could still bring about a family fracture by projecting his rage onto all of us. I hope not.

katya02

Solace
No. His dad has had chest pain recently when stressed in the ER. He doesn't need to be attacked by his own family.
I am at the point of feeling I can't deal with any more. We have a family wedding next weekend, my oldest niece, and
my mother has been busy stirring up drama and upset for the past two weeks; plus my older sister has found out she
needs surgery for likely colon cancer (still waiting on the biopsy). I would have been happy to sit down with difficult child 2 and
listen along with husband, and talk, and hug, and give him our support. This all makes me want to crawl under the covers
and give up.

Lothlorien

I haven't read all of the responses, but yeah, I agree with many of the others. Your husband is your rock. You should share this with him. His hate and anger should not destroy the trust you have with your husband. I really feel a pang in my heart for you. I think this is just about every parent's fear (among other fears) that the child they poured love into, raised to the best of their ability, and would have laid their lives down for, grows up and has the audacity to say that he/she never felt loved.

All I can say is after you discuss it with your husband, stop reading it. Stop thinking about it. Detach or you will drive yourself insane. I think that eventually, just like the prodigal son, he will find his way and realize that you love him and always have. Just pray for him. I'm very sorry that you are hurting.

flutterby

Fly away!
I'm shocked that he can say, and believe (?), that he has forgiven you, but turns around and 1) is hateful and spiteful, and 2) thinks he can dictate how you are allowed to react and what you can and cannot share.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I don't think his anger stems from his childhood upraising, personally. Might with the whole abuse from difficult child 1 thing, but not the rest. Like Heather, you can't claim to have forgiven someone and then deliberately inflict pain on them "so they can share your pain". Once you've forgiven someone, that's it. No need for anything else. Honestly, I don't think his anger has a thing to do with either you or husband. I think he's afraid of being rejected. And there may be some other underlying junk he needs to deal with. Maybe he's caught heck from other people due to his preferences and is now on the mega defensive. Cuz boy is he defensive. And you know what they say, the best offense is a good defense.

I still can't get over the fact that he does this to you but simply expects for you to come pick him up, bring him home, and all be right with the world. It doesn't matter what his rational behind the vicious letter was. The real world doesn't work that way. We've been hard at work teaching Nichole this for several years now. She is finally getting it.....starting to anyhow. It would be awfully hard for me to be understanding and kind after that, at least immediately after.

I hope you can get him to understand the way he did it was totally inappropriate while able to show him you could careless about his love life. Man, our kids really have to make things tough don't they. ugh

Hugs

KTMom91

What the others have said. And in my opinion, he needs a hard lesson on the benefits and responsibilities of being part of a family. Son #1, at about that age, pitched a massive fit over something so vital I don't even remember, and told Hubby to forget all about him and forget he even had a son. OK. We didn't acknowledge his birthday (since Hubby no longer had a son) and he was hurt. Hubby reminded him of his tantrum. Son #2, similar lesson learned. Miss KT...we're still working on it. My point is that you don't get it both ways. You're either a member of the family or you are not. You don't get to beat everyone up emotionally and come home for the summer. You have no right to attack us, wound us, and then get PO'd because you didn't get a birthday card, or your pillows, or your tuition paid for next year. I spent the entire week telling primary students that behavior has consequences. Your difficult child has chosen his behavior, now he needs some appropriate consequences.

Many, many gentle hugs for you.

Josie

Like Busywend, I have a different viewpoint.

I think it is very hard for someone to tell their parents they are gay. I think he should be able to tell his dad when he is ready, but I do think it is reasonable for you to tell your son that he needs to do it pretty soon, because it is too big of a secret for you to keep from your husband.

My brother came out to my parents at the same time, but he told all of us sisters at different times. My brother was lucky because we were/are very tolerant but apparently, lots of gay people are faced with being disowned. Maybe your son is preparing himself for the worst scenario with his letter and is reacting out of his worry.

It was a huge blow to me when my brother told me, not because I think less of him, but because I know that other people do. It is a harder life than he would otherwise have.

For now, please try to put aside your feelings of hurt for the rest of his letter and try to let him know that you do accept him and love him. Try to consider his letter a cry for help rather than an attack.

Just my thoughts.

Marguerite

He told me an apology doesn't matter - he has forgiven already - but he needed me to know his entire story and suffering; he needed me to share his pain. That's where he loses me. No one else can live your pain exactly; I have never tried to force anyone, least of all my mother, to 'experience' the pain of my childhood, for example.

Katya, two things I need to tell you here.

First - he sounds very egocentric in this. Part of that is the difficult child-ness. Par of it (and please don't jump on me, any of you who are gay) is something I have seen so often in SOME MALE gays - this absolutely intense self-absorption. Really intense, really, unbelievably selfish. One bloke I knew - I often wondered if he was only gay, because he loathed everyone in the world except him, and being gay was the closest he could get to sexual self-absorbtion too. But that was extreme - most of the group I describe (that subset of male gays who are self-absorbed to exclusion of all others) could be otherwise lovely people, but never, ever trust them to have as much compassion for you, as they require you to have for them. It is also this subset of gays that tend to bre most unhappy, because in reality, the world doesn't work the way they want it to; the world is full of egocentric people and there is never enough attention to make these extreme egocentric people happy.

Second - when I was in therapy for my own PTSD, I had realised that a lot of my problems stemmed back from childhood and an ongoing sense of not being valued; of actually being ignored, or left to my own devices at times when I really needed support. I felt, for my own sake, that I needed to share this revelation with my mother. Because of her health issues plus the great distance between us, I had to do this over the phone. She was very quiet while I spoke, and for a few seconds when I stopped. Then she said, "I never realised. I didn't know - I am so sorry, if the way we raised you caused you such pain."
I then realised that while I had needed to tell this to her, I had completely ignored the damage this revelation would do to her. I also had not intended to hurt her, because what I was most hurt by , the people I was most hurt by, did not include my mother. So I talked to her and tried to explain this but I don't think she believed me. She did believe me though, when I was able to name some people outside the family as being a major source or problem for me. I also had to say (and I say this to you now, as I said it to my mother), "You did the best you could do, given the circumstances; the expectations of society at that time; your own life experiences. I am telling you so you know, not so you feel responsible. I do not want you to feel any sense of blame over this. Sometimes things just happen."

I realise, of course, that it was wrong of me to try to tell my mother to not feel hurt. Looking back - I am still glad I shared my pain with her. But I wish I could have done it in a less hurtful way. Although with hindsight, I can't think of a way that would have been any better.

We're none of us perfect. And where a lot of us go wrong, is we tend to always think that when bad things happen, it is a matter for finding someone to blame. But sometimes (often!) it is not a matter of blame. Not in any way. And while we keep focussing on blame, we are holding ourselves back from moving forward.

I know with regard to my own past pain, a lot of me still blames various people. I have fantasised about going back and facing these people. I also know that these fantasies are not very healthy. Maybe a little, to a certain point; but to fully recover, I have to be able to move on.

Something you need to be able to share with your son -

1) Blame is often a distraction. And blame isn't always even appropriate. Pain happens. Sometimes pain happens because someone else did not do their job - ball bearings left lying around lead to a passerby skidding and breaking an ankle. But while clearing away the ball bearings prevents someone else also being injured, it doesn't cure the broken ankle once it's happened. Knowing why, so you can clean the problem up, is good. If the ball bearings had slipped out of an unknown hole in a bag, then hey, it's just one of those things. It is a very different story, if some person deliberately put ball bearings on the path, to try to cause trouble. But otherwise - blame has only limited purpose.

2) You know he's been in pain. But you did the best you could have done at the time. Everything you did, was designed to help your kids grow to be the best they could be. Of course you weren't able to do the job perfectly - none of us can. Of course you acknowledge that you didn't do the job perfectly. All you can say, is you did the job to the best of your ability. And because you did, then yes, it is right to acknowledge that despite your best efforts, pain still happened. But nothing is going to make that pain go away.

You have your own pain from your own past. We all do. It is simply not possible to raise a child surrounded by perfection, perfect love, no pain, no distress, always allowing that child to do and have exactly hat he wants. Because actually, that doesn't "raise" anything. Such an upbringing would actually be static, with little learned.

Learning is painful. We have to learn the balance between pain and joy, and use it all positively, to help us be the best we can be.

It sounds like he still has a lot to learn.

I strongly urge you to bend over backwards if necessary, to not give him any excuses to claim you guys rejected him. Because as long as he can blame you, he will not be learning anything and will be setting himself up for long-term relationship failure in his life.

This is his first big test, and to pass it he needs to realise that he has to take personal responsibility for some level of his pain. He has to realise he can choose to hold on to the hurt and let it really do damage, or to resolve it and move beyond it.

Hang in there, Katya. Try to let go of this, his perceptions of pain are his own responsibility and he's childishly trying to dump the load onto others. It won't make him feel better, sadly.

One last anecdote - my eldest brother, when he was about 10, committed some misdeed which he can't remember. My father spanked him with a slipper. My mother remembers seeing the slipper, the other kids saw the slipper. Even my brother can 'see' the slipper, but to this day remains convinced that dad hit him with an iron bar, not the slipper. He knows intellectually it was a slipper, but his fear at the time made it hurt a lot more, and has coloured the memory.

What we remember is always subjective, when it comes to our pain.

Also, your mother sounds like a genetic resource for your son's own bad behaviour...

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
He expects you to spend more than three hours in a car to bring him PILLOWS when he just sent you that letter?? I hope and pray you do NOT go.

Tell him he cannot spew that filth on you, try to triangulate between you and husband, and still expect things like that. NO. FREAKIN. WAY. IN. HADES.

If he wants to treat you with respect he is welcome to come home. If he wants to discuss things in a respectful way, he is welcome to discuss them. Letters are simply another form of discussion. One "do over" may be permissable, but further letters will have the result of son having to find funding for the rest of his education and life all by his ownself. NO WAY should you pay so many thousands of dollars for him to mistreat you.

I am SURE he will be SHOCKED that his letter would have such a result. Poor little him.

The bean counting of pain and suffering needs to stop. he is an adult. Yes, he has pain. Everyone does. Yes, he problem does object to some things you did. You did your best, and are doing your best. If he has that many problems with you, he needs to separate and go his own way on his own dime, so that he won't be further traumatized by you.

Overall, him telling you what you can feel, do, say and even think is out of bounds. ESP the way he did it. Let him know this. Let him know that regardless of lifestyle, this is NOT ok and will NOT be tolerated or funded with YOUR dollars.

It should be his choice. Act reasonable and like a respectful child (even if he disagrees he is still your child and should treat you with respect) and stay connected to family and to the family purse, or act unreasonably and disrespectfully with no connection to the family and the family purse.

I am sorry he is such an entitled brat bent on hurting you so profoundly.

DammitJanet

I do have to admit I got a good chuckle about him expecting you to run his pillows up to him after reaming you out. There was a time I probably would have felt badly enough for my poor little tyke I would have done such a thing. Now I would spit soda over the phone as I laughed hysterically at him.

katya02

Solace
I'm embarrassed to say that husband and I went and brought difficult child 2 his pillows. husband wanted to go and see difficult child 2 and be sure he was doing ok after I told him difficult child 2 had sent me the letter about not feeling loved. He loves difficult child 2 (and all the kids) and, although he's always been an alpha male type, with age he's become very sensitive. His family is his life. I think it would kill him to have his son deliberately hurt him and walk away, not to have his son tell him he's gay.

I do get the feeling difficult child 2 is terrified of a bad reaction and trying to hurt before he gets hurt. But he's been too successful. I'm trying to shake it off and I know intellectually that I have to let it go, but I am still having a hard time. It's surreal because I'm sitting at home alone today not doing very well and difficult child 2 keeps texting me asking about the cattery, offering to help with a couple of kittens who have problems, encouraging me ... like nothing ever happened. This is the sort of thing my mother and sister have always done, wreaking emotional devastation and then going on as if nothing has happened. It makes me question my sanity. Is it possible that he honestly doesn't know the effect of his words? You would never know, from his behavior last night or his texts today, that he'd sent that letter a few days ago.

I should be able to let it go. I have to keep telling myself it's his perceptions, not reality. I have to detach, and I'm trying.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Katya

Sounds like you're feeling pretty much the same way I did after nichole tore into me, even though none of it was true. What helped me was knowing the reason why she'd done it. And it probably helped that I'd expected the reaction as I'd just called her on some pretty awful behavior. (read my post over in PE) We also had a couple of days were there was no communication. I chose not to respond to her attack simply because I know when she's hurting she lashes back viciously and rarely means what comes out of her mouth. Doesn't excuse it. And we've talked about it calmly since, once she apologized. I think those few days of no communication gave me time to get over the sting of it and be myself again when she was ready to apologize.

But this is a common thing with Nichole. She has been working on controlling her temper and what comes out of her mouth for the past 3 or so years. She is finally getting that other people are going to be hurt by her words even if they know there is no truth in them or that she doesn't really mean it. That took quite a while. It used to drive me crazy that one second she'd rip you a new one and the next was like nothing ever happened. ugh

Don't be embarrassed you took him the pillows, which let you check on him. Detachment takes time and practice, lots of time and practice. lol

Hugs

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Yup! Crazy making behavior! I fall for it a lot. For years I wondered what was wrong with ME, I am the product of parents who were always rewriting history. One of my favorite questions has been "what is reality?".

You're not crazy.

flutterby

Fly away!
Katya said:
This is the sort of thing my mother and sister have always done, wreaking emotional devastation and then going on as if nothing has happened. It makes me question my sanity. Is it possible that he honestly doesn't know the effect of his words? You would never know, from his behavior last night or his texts today, that he'd sent that letter a few days ago.

That smacks of borderline. Well, that, and immaturity.

Don't be embarrassed about taking him the pillows. We do what we have to do to reassure ourselves.

(((hugs)))

JJJ

Katya,

This sounds so much like my cousin. She was also 'coached' on her coming out to expect complete family rejection (we are Roman Catholic). Sad, as no one would have rejected her.

I'd respond in writing - a letter co-signed by you and husband - so that difficult child 2 can read and reread it.

Dear difficult child 2,

We have received your letter. We already knew that you were homosexual and are glad that you are comfortable enough to come out. Your letter seems to show more your fear of rejection than a reflection of our feelings for you. We love you and we hope that you learn to love yourself. God loves you too - as you are. We are unsure where you got the idea that God would not love you if you loved another man. God is love - including heterosexual, homosexual, familial and friendship.

We are confident in our relationship with each other. We do not keep secrets from each other, please do not presume to ask us to do that. We are also confident in our unconditional love for you.

Love,

Mom and Dad