Cat Help

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm ,at easy child's house. Her youngest cat Tom is apparently having problems breathing. He's panting hard, sides heaving, he has been doing it all day

she thought it was maybe a hairball issue but he is not coughing

he never goes outside nothing she can think of that he can get into

any thoughts suggestions?

sorry post is a bit brief I am on her lap top and it is not easy to use

thnx in advance

Jena

is he treated for tics?? sometimes ppl can bring them into house attached to clothes etc..... any local animal vets you can call for info on phone??

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
All I can think of is that he did get into something he shouldn't have - also, certain foods can cause food poisoning in pets that don't affect people. The other thing may be that he's sick = maybe he's develope some kind of kitty leukemia or something. He could have kidney failure. He could be overheated. There are so many variables and possible factors - the best thing would be to bring him to a vet. When I get home from work, I will check my dog/cat first aid and medical reference book - it has EVERYTHING!

Jena

ok how about this what if he's just hot? my cats and dogs will do that when their overheated. i just get them in a.c. right away with cold water offered and usually they go back to normal within an hr. or so....

good luck

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
He's probably not hot as the a/c is on. He is not one to pick at people food and as far as I know (Melissa, HD's daughter) he has not gotten into any chemicals. He does have a persistent cough and really it sounds like the asthma description. He has coughed a lot in the last few months and I just chalked it up to hairballs, was going to try the paste they have out tonight. Hmmm.....

keista

Is he still walking normally? He should go to a vet regardless. Unfortunately, if money is an issue, then money is an issue, and nature has to take it's course. Sadly I had to do that with my cat Bob a few months ago, and witness the neighbor's English Bulldog's failed pregnancy and results because financially, vets were just not an option.

When I was younger and *richer* I had taken several animals to vets, for different things, and there still was nothing the vet could do, so not only did I lose the animal, I had a huge vet bill too. :sigh: I've made myself numb to it I guess. My pets get vaccinations and get fixed, and flea medications, but if something else goes wrong, I just start to "prepare"

Sorry. :consoling:

H

HaoZi

My thought on chemicals is not him eating/drinking them (taking your word on that), but them being used or spilled in a way/amount that exposed him to fumes. Even worse if he also has asthma.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Can't really afford the vet right now since my accident a few weeks ago (Still melissa). I could probably gather enough to take him but not enough to do any treatment. Fumes may be an issue, since my husband works on 4 wheelers in the basement/garage, but tom never goes down there. He's the scaredy cat type who doesn't go anywhere and hides most of the time.

Edited to add that he does still walk normally.

H

HaoZi

Those fumes rise, don't they? Is it possible to get some fresh air circulating in there and see if it helps?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My book says if a cat is panting with no obvious cause, call the vet immediately! Q: Is he responsive and alert or kind of slow? If alert, make him comfortable and see if it gets worse. He can sense your worry, so stay calm. If he's slow to respond or not responsive, call vet.Coughing could be caused by heart disease, pulmonary edema, collapsing trachea ( do they ever collar him or is his collar too tight?), asthma.Could he have gotten into a fight with another cat? Check over his entire body, looking for any swellings or wounds-he may have an infection.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
(still melissa) My husband hasn't worked on anything in weeks and tom won't go down there. He's actually breathing much better right now. He's been very alert and responsive, not much into playing with our other cat jerry, but still eating and drinking fine too. I checked everywhere and no wounds or swelling. If it starts up again, I may just have to take him to the animal hospital and foot the bill because he did not look very comfortable and I hate to see anyone, cat, dog, or human having difficulty breathing. Thanks so much!!!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
(still melissa) My husband hasn't worked on anything in weeks and tom won't go down there. He's actually breathing much better right now. He's been very alert and responsive, not much into playing with our other cat jerry, but still eating and drinking fine too. I checked everywhere and no wounds or swelling. If it starts up again, I may just have to take him to the animal hospital and foot the bill because he did not look very comfortable and I hate to see anyone, cat, dog, or human having difficulty breathing. Thanks so much!!!
It stopped?! Just keep an eye on him, he's probably fine.

H

HaoZi

Your weather has been like mine - what's the mold and pollen count over there and does he do this more when it's high?

susiestar

Roll With It
Is there a chance he was having an allergic reaction? We had a cat when we lived in OH who got into something at a neighbors (he had at least ten other families who he visited regularly, but always came home to Mommy in the evening, lol.) and was panting and seemed to have a hard time breathing. Also was sort of coughing. i gave him a 1/2 capsule of benadryl and it helped a lot. Later if he had trouble I would set up the nebulizer with some albuterol and blow it in his face as he snuggled with me.

Cats can get all sorts of respiratory issues. If he sneezes, look to make sure he doesn't have grass up his nose. If he gets an end with seeds up there it can cause all sorts of havoc. My Sammy (one gfgbro killed by not giving him water while my parents were in Europe last year - he died 2 days after they returned) once got two and a half inches of the seed end of grass up his nose. Took putting him out to remove it. Have you ever tried to put ayr saline gel and/or neosporin gel up a cat's nose? They do NOT like it.

Of course they hate benedryl also. Do NOT give liquid benedryl unless you must. Get the tablets and give a small (under 8-10 lbs cat 1/2 tablet and larger cat a whole one). If you give the liquid you will get maybe 1/8 tsp in their mouth and they will start to foam at the mouth. Don't try it with-o LOTS of towels on hand to mop up.

You CAN use vaseline for hairballs. Gma did for years. Her cats didn't fight it nearly as much as the flavored vet stuff.

I hope he gets better soon.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ok, this is me, not easy child. lol Gawd I hate laptops.

Tom never ever ever goes outside. He won't go out of the main house, not even to the basement. And there really isn't anything for him to get into in the main house.

He was definitely having trouble breathing though.......if he was a person I'd say "gasping for air"....complete with the abdominal muscles working to help. My Bruce has done it with a bad respiratory virus.....I swear he catches them all the time, some worse than others.

I wondered about the benedryl but had no clue what dose for a cat. I'll take her some of Molly's benedryl tomorrow to give him, see if that helps. Poor thing. He's such an uber sweetie.

Steely

Yes, how is Tom doing?
It could also be a thyroid issue.
You could at least "call" the vet and ask what he suggests if this still persists.