Cat problems.

Californiablonde

So we've had our cat Lily for about nine months now. We adopted her when she was three months old so she is a year old. Up till now I have never had a problem with her using the litter box. Usually I change the litter box every Saturday and she's fine with it. Well early this morning she did a big no no. She pooped and peed on my bed. This is out of the blue. Never done this before. So what gives? Now I'm paranoid this will become a habit. My last cat Tigger suddenly started peeing all over my last apartment. The whole place smelled very badly of cat pee. He totally ruined the carpets. It got so bad that when we moved, the movers I hired went in the place, smelled the cat pee, and walked right out of there and refused to take the job. It was that bad. So we are moving again into a brand new place in two months. I am paranoid that Lily will make this a habit and start going to the bathroom all over the carpets, beds, etc. I can not handle this. I have a boyfriend now and he comes over all the time. Having my apartment smell like cat pee is absolutely not acceptable. Was this just a random act? Do cats suddenly have an accident and never do it again? Or is this going to be a habit? I am really worried we may have to get rid of her is this keeps up.

jal

I have had cats all my life. In my opinion and experience cats do not have accidents unless something is wrong. The only time my cat had an accident was because it had a urinary tract infection and it was a little dribble, not a complete elimination. Have you changed litter? Is the litterbox full? Maybe she needs it changed more often? Cats do not like a full litterbox.

Haha, I forgot I added my cat as my avatar a few days ago. Here he is looking at me while I was down and out with my back for a week.

Just to add...I've in my life had 2 cats that had Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)'s. The one in my avatar and his "brother". We adopted them 11 years ago, and as I explained above that was the only time either had an "accident".

I hope its just a fluke

Californiablonde

No same kitty litter. I have no idea what her problem is. I am hoping it's just a fluke. But she peed and pooped so I don't think it's a urinary tract infection. Hopefully it won't happen again. If she keeps doing it and I take her to the vet and they can't find a problem, sadly I will have to get rid of her. We need a clean environment to live in.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
CB, if you are stressed out, she can tell. With the moving on your plate - she KNOWS something's up. Perhaps not what. This is why YOUR BED, and not, say, by the front door.

I suggest a complete scrub of the litterbox, refill with clean litter, and some Lily playtime with you. Perhaps some kitty treats of some sort - We get Whisker Lickin's for about $1 and the bag lasts forever. She needs to know that she is loved.

Out of the blue is usually a stress issue... :hugs:

TerryJ2

So sorry, CalifBlonde. I am interested in the responses because I am a cat owner but this is my first time around. I've never had this happen, but cats are not like dogs. They are way more unpredictable.
I would definitely scrub the litterbox, discard the contents, strip the bed and wash everything twice (the last time can be with-vinegar) and scrub the mattress. Even if you don't think it went through, cats have a better sense of smell than we do.
I have no idea "why." I'll keep reading the other responses, but it seems to be a growing consensus that it's stress. :(

TerryJ2

by the way, just the word "cat" apparently ignited the cat-bot Internet advertising thingie, because the ad in the middle of my screen now featurers a photo of a cat, with-three different cat ads!

Californiablonde

Our last cat had very bad anxiety and it was untreatable. We had to give him away to an adoption agency and they later put him down because he hissed and growled everytime someone went near him. I will take your suggestions, Step, and hope it helps. I would really hate to get rid of her but my last cat's anxiety was pretty bad and nothing we did helped.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I've had cats that did this, due to anxiety or a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) (male cats are more succeptible to UTIs, but it could still be an issue in a female). I also had a female cat that was diabetic and when she wasn't feeling well she might not make it to the litter box. I had one cat that got pretty bad with peeing in corners when my difficult children were at their worst. Living with difficult children can make any animal anxious. I wouldn't worry too much about one incident, but if it happens again, I'd take her to the vet just to rule out a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) or other issues.

My diabetic cat once peed in the middle of our new dog's bed ... I think she was trying to make a statement there. Cats are smart and devious ;-)

Wow, that sounds like I had a lot of pee-happy cats, but really this is over the past 30 years or so ;-)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL Crazy you reminded me of something... I had a boyfriend years ago who dumped me on Valentine's Day. Well years later he came over to my apartment with a mutual friend... AngelKitten was about 10 months old at the time and she walked up to him and jumped on his lap and peed all over him.

Cats are NOT stupid.

susiestar

Roll With It
The ONLY time any of our cats EVER eliminated inappropriately was to tell us they were sick. Well, one cat got alzheimers and couldn't find the litter box, but that was far different, and in reality, she was quite sick.

The cat NEEDS to see a vet ASAP before you do ANYTHING else with her. Often this is how they tell you something is very wrong with them. It could be a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) or it could be any of so many other veterinary reasons. Until you have her checked out, you won't have a clue whta is going on.

If this is an anxiety behavior, ask the doctor for anxiety medications for her. One of my aunt's cats did very well on prozac or something similar for anxiety. Poor baby couldn't go outside and would wail if my aunt's kids went outside for any reason. She was a couple years old when my aunt got her and had lived in a small apartment all ehr life. She didn't go outside the litter box, but she just would cry and wail and carry on if anyone went outside or they tried to get her to go outside. A month or two on prozac and she adjusted well, didn't have any of the behaviors and lived a very long, full life.

Please take her to the vet. Most likely she is ill.

dstc_99

Ours usually have had issues due to something medical or something preventing them from using their litter box. Sounds silly but they hate a dirty litter box and they hate having a litter box they cant get to. At one point we had a dog that would hang around the litter box too much and the cat would refuse to use it for fear of being boxed in. Also check the filter if it has a lid sometimes the filters get old an the cat doesn't like the smell inside.

Californiablonde

Yes she is fixed. Well guess what she did it again! The kids left some clothes on the bathroom floor and she pooped all over them. What a lovely mess I got to wake up to this morning. Ugh! I guess a visit to the vet is in order. Hopefully I can find a reasonable one. I don't think this is random. There must be something wrong.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
If you didn't change the litter or move the box, she's either sick or upset at you about something.

susiestar

Roll With It
If she has bladder or Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) problems, she is ONLY going to pee on soft things until she is treated. It is what it is, which is a cry for help. It HURTS to pee, so she is peeing on soft things. This is almost universal cat behavior for problems going to the bathroom. the vet visit cannot wait. If it isn't bladder/Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) related, it is possibly because of a back leg or hip issue, something that makes the litter box painful. Of course using cloth to pee on doesn't make it better, but it is the best she can do with-o vet care.

The real problem will come if you do not get her prompt vet care. Then she will have peed on enough things that she will then continue because they smell like pee like the litter box does. So prompt vet care is an absolute MUST.

Californiablonde

Well she didn't do it at all this weekend or this morning so I'm hoping it was just those two days and she is over it. I am crossing my fingers it was just a one time thing.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
She may have sensed something up. Our male cat used to use the bathroom rugs in the downstairs bathroom... The one only Onyxx used at the time. Found out there was a bunch of cat poop swept behind the shelving unit. Ugh.

Californiablonde

She did it again! Yesterday morning she peed all inside my purse then she pooped on it. Then last night she peed and pooped in the bathtub. At least that mess was easier to clean up. Now my purse smells like cat pee. Ugh! So yeah I'll be taking her to the vet. I don't get paid till the 24th but going to see if my mom can lend me money in the mean time. I'm wondering though why she didn't do it over the weekend when my boyfriend was over. She absolutely adores him. Comes over and sits on his lap and begs to be petted. She doesn't do that with the kids and I. So i am wondering what is up with her. If she is upset at me, whatever for? I am the one who feeds her and changes her litter. So she goes to the bathroom on MY bed, my clothes, and MY purse. What gives?