Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) in young kids

Ktllc

I highly suspect difficult child has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD). I read it cannot be diagnosed until the child is at least 7 years old (although the doctor could make a precautionary diagnosis).
For those of you dealing with Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD), when were you able to obtain a diagnosis for your child? What kind of techniques do you use?
So far, I make sure he is looking at my face and try to articulate EXTREMELY good. Then, I make him repeat (amazing how much off he is a lot of times!)
The reason I make sure he looks at my face when I talk is because lip reading was (still is) one of husband coping skill. husband told me the day he figured how to read lips, his life changed. Is that something that should be encouraged? Or should I find ways to "force" his hearing so his brain gets better at it??
I have so many questions and so few answers... speech evaluation is schedule for thursday, hopefully the therapist might have more insights.

BusynMember

Anything that works, encourage it in my opinion! Why not?

My daughter had a diagnosis of Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) at age eight. She doesn't have the diagnosis now. It is so common for diagnoses to change.

InsaneCdn

Has a full hearing evaluation ever been done by an audiologist?This lip-reading thing has me wondering if its more of a hearing problem than a verbal-language processing problem.Speech-language will do a very basic hearing screen, usually. This might or might not pick up subtle hearing issues...Just another idea.

Ktllc

My husband is the one doing the lip reading and his hearing is fine. He had never told me he was doing that until I started (thanks to you Insane) talking about auditory processing. husband is just starting understanding what is "wrong" with him thanks to all the investigating I'm doing for difficult child. It is really weird: it's like after so many years, he finally get the instruction manual, except he had to learn the hard way. husband childhood was difficult beyong his issues, but Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) seems to explain everything and a lot of blocked memories are coming back to him now.
Now my quest is to understand difficult child so he does not have to suffer the way his Dad did. husband turned out ok against all odds, but I am not willing to gamble with difficult child. He will get help and be understood.
The speech therapist is the first step and I will discuss Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) with her. If she thinks it is a possibility, I will likely get a referral for an audiologist.
But then, he might just be too young yet... and I don't want to "wast" 3 precious years until a doctor can diagnosis for sure.
I would like to apply proven techniques for Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) (unless speech evaluation completly rules it out, which I doubt) in order for him to stop feeling so lost and frustrated.

Ktllc

Oh, and just a note: Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and language processing disorder are not the same.
Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) is a gap in the heaaring process without any physical explaination (hearing is fine, the ear functions well). It sometimes describe as the "brain being deaf". People with Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) will read lips or are able to understand sign language. They are very visual people in order to compensate the auditory problem. Regualr people hear a sentence like a continuous line, a Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) person will hear it as a doted line (auditory gaps). That is one analogy wich helped me understand.
Language processing disorder is a problem understanding language in any forms/ which can affect sign language for example.
If I'm incorrect or inaccurate, let me know!

InsaneCdn

They can't really test for Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) until the kid can read - because part of the comparison is reading vs. listenening...

If you wanted to try something REALLY out on a limb, you could try learning sign language. Its completely visual, but not "written"... they even teach simplified versions to babies, so it isn't that hard. It might get you through a few years of frustration etc...

Ktllc

Lol, I've actually thought of it and used to do sign language with my oldest who had a severe speech delay. He did not understand language at all and that's how we made it click for him. I talk with my hands A LOT (must be the Latin blood) and that's how my oldest used to follow directions so good back then. I have the feeling that's how difficult child "understands" me as well: lots of gestures and facial expression. I don't know if I would be able to be fluent enough in sign language though... difficult child gets some key words and then just imagine what the rest is. For exemple: I was reading a book about how babies are being born. It mentioned the word "baby" and "cut" (as in the doctor cut the cord), well that's all he got out of it and went on to explain that the baby was going in the woods to cut a tree. Hugh.... what??

InsaneCdn

I don't know if this was just a Canadian thing... but they used to use something called SEE (Sign Exact English) - it is NOT the same as ASL (American Sign Language), which has a syntax and culture all its own. SEE is English vocab. rules - but with signs for all the words. It makes it possible to link the signs to written words, as well.

At any rate - I expect much of the current behavior problems are due to communications problems.

Speaking of which... have you ever run into the (very old) book: "Teaching your Baby to Read"? It takes the approach that you can teach written and spoken language at the same time, starting from a very early age. Maybe you have to start him on an early reading program?

justour2boys

Momto2Boys
My DS was unofficially diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) (the C has been dropped) by a private Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) (speech and language pathologist) and then confirmed by the school's Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) when he was 5 and in K. I say unofficially as SLPs only screen for Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). We started some therapy and some tutoring and it seemed to help.

Then fast forward to age 7 and 3rd grade and he was officially diagnosed by an Audiologist with Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). This helped me get a 504 plan for him at school with a list of accomidations... some followed and some not... but that is another story. He was testing at just below grade level so I couldn't get an IEP.... at that time.

In 5th grade he received an additional diagnosis of ADD and we started medications. We saw some improvement in focusing which in turn has help improve his listening. He went through a long testing process with the school and was below norm on written expression so we turned his 504 into an IEP.

He is heading into the 7th grade and I have expanded his IEP every year and worked with him at home with his school work. He ended 6th grade on the B honor roll!!

My DS is an extreme visual/spacial learner and anything I can do to make learning visual really helps him understand better.... more show and less tell.

If you want to learn more about Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), I recommend the book, When the Brain Can't Hear by Teri Bellis. I picked up a copy at my local library and then I purchased my own copy from Amazon.

JJJ

I think Kanga's Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) diagnosis came at 12??? She did some of the interventions for it at about 10 due to her significant language delay but didn't have the official label until later.

If you can get into a FastForWord program, they are amazing (expensive as heck if your school doesn't cover it). A less expensive version is Earobics. Be sure to have good quality headphones cause it needs to block out the background noise. IIRC both programs have levels for non-readers.

If you haven't read "Like Sound Through Water", I'd recommend it. It is one mom's journey.

I've heard Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) described as 'dsylexia of the ear' and that makes sense to me.

Tigger is likely also Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) but since the school is already doing the programs for it with him, we haven't bothered to go get the label.

InsaneCdn

Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and language processing disorder are not the same.

Correct, from what I understand.

Language processing disorder will affect reading and writing as well as verbal language. Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) affects "listening", and therefore may also impact speaking skills - but does not affect reading and writing.

The terms used for various problems get "modified" faster than we can keep up - here in Canada, they still distingush Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) from "other" Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) diagnosis... that is, Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) is a problem with processing spoken language - but there are other Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) issues which present differently - for example, problems with auditory discrimination (auditory focus, auditory filtering), where the person is fine listening in a quiet environment or one-on-one, but cannot pick up the "important" sounds in the midst of background noice, OR becomes fatigued at fighting to keep their auditory focus going (huge mental effort). And of course, you can have both sets of problems.

Ktllc

I went to the library today and they did not have the suggested books... nothing on Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) or Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). I'll wait thursday for the speech evaluation and will probably order them through Amazon afterwards. difficult child is SOO hard to deal with right now... We need some help! The frustration level is getting pretty high for all parties and his ODD is not helping.
Thanks for the suggestions.

seriously

You asked so here you go with some information backed by links that may be helpful to you. The first link is to a set of actual exercises designed to do with young children to try to prevent or improve Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) problems.

The thing that needs to be understood about Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) is that it is a biological and/or physiological problem in processing sound. It involves malfunctions in the way the brain handles and interprets sound.

So, for Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) to be diagnosed with any certainty (as opposed to a language processing disorder) it MUST be diagnosed by an audiologist trained in the techniques required, using a sound booth and specific, well defined methods and tests that can help pinpoint where the problem is occurring. The tests require use of pre-recorded and computer-administered sound patterns so that very tiny differences in the processing of sound can be detected and isolated from other potential causes like language processing defects.

It cannot be done by the school audiologist administering a questionnaire. It cannot be done by a speech pathologist. It might be able to be confirmed or suggested by neuro psychiatric assessment but the actual diagnosis and testing requires the audiological examination.

Many audiologists do NOT have the training, equipment or skill needed to administer Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) testing so you need to specifically ask about this when you get a referral. often the testing is done at university speech and language centers because true Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) testing is not a simple process. Usually it will not be covered by health insurance and you will have to pay out of pocket.

You should expect to get a written 2 or 3 page report that specifies the tests administered, the results and the conclusions of the examining audiologist. If the audiologist feels that any problems may be a sign of brain/nervous system immaturity they will say so and suggest re-testing in a set period of time. Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) testing cannot be done unless the child has normal hearing and a regular audiology screening is included in the exam to insure there is no significant transient hearing loss from things like colds that would interfere with the testing and accuracy of the results.

The age of the child matters due to the maturation of the nervous system. It simply cannot be done in a child younger than 3 or 4. It can be done with caution in a child 7 or younger. After 7 it will be up to the audiologist to determine if there is sufficient nervous system maturation to allow an accurate test to be performed.

Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) often does affect reading, writing and spelling because the child cannot process the phonemes the way they need in order to be able to decode and encode words (being able to recognize and manipulate the separate syllables and/or sounds). This ability underlies our ability to spell, read and write. Phonological awareness is a key component of reading along with phonological memory. Specific speech interventions can be helpful depending on the specific problems your child has if the speech therapist has the training to do them and knows to do them.

Here's a link to a workbook that can be used to help improve your child's ability and flexibility in processing phonemes. Phonemes are the individual units of sound that make up speech. It is designed with the young child in mind.

http://talkingwithjilld.com/Publications/AUD PROC PHO AWA LIST EXE.pdf

Next is a very thorough and comprehensive document aimed at school audiologists that describes Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD), discusses factors to be considered when referring or considering assessment, the assessment techniques to be used and classroom interventions including the use of personal FM systems when appropriate.

http://www.aitinstitute.org/CAPD_technical_assistance_paper.pdf

Next is an older but helpful and somewhat technical article that discusses possible sub-classifications of Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) that you may find useful.

http://www.apdukclub.apduk.org/HTMLobj-292/subprofiles_Teri_James_Bellis.pdf

Finally, here is a highly technical article that addresses the need for modality-specific assessment. This is code for using audiological testing and not just relying on other indirect forms of assessment for Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD).

http://aja.asha.org/cgi/reprint/14/2/112.pdf

Last edited:

Ktllc

First of all thanks for all the good info!
We just come back from the speech evaluation and I explain to her what I suspec and the "whole" story. She followed through with the evaluation and within 10 minuts maybe, she tells me it is definitely NOT a language issue. He actually is quite advance in his speech (she stopped at 5 year of age but believed he could score even higher but that was not the point, which I agreed to). We then talked about Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and based on everything it is VERY likely. We also talked about the issue of him being so young to get a true diagnosis. She is still making a STRONG recommendation for a Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) screening and she will make phone calls to see if the audiologist in town is familiar with the issue.
She also warned me about speech therapists that are not familiar with the issue. As she put it: "all speech therapists are not created equal". She gave me her card and told me to call her with any questions. She hopes we will get some help before he turns 7, but she cautioned me about the Special Education classes. She explained that Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) kids don't need Special Education classes, but just a reguar teacher that is willing to accomodate which is warranted by law. She does not want him to be stigmatized because she knows from experience that Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) kids can function very well as long as people around them understand their disability.
I shared that was afraid of him getting behind in reading if he does not get help now. She just said that he will be behind at first but his language skills being so strong she was not worried. Basically: let him get behind and then catch up in a "normal" setting instead of having a "Special Education" stigma follow him.
Kind of make sense... If the evaluation in september does not reveal anything else, I might just do that. Let go a little and trust my little guy in picking up when the time is right.
Instead of worrying about school, let's focus on improving our family life and learn how to talk to him so the Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) does not interfer too much.
It makes me want to cry: I thought he was just being desobedient and ignorant when he actually just doesn't have the tools to truly understand and follow what is being said around him. The therapist said it was often the case.
Ok, here was the latest update of our journey.