Deficits Underlying Social Skills Weaknesses

Sheila

Super paper! Mentions just about every disorder we deal with. Contains additional information besides social skill deficits.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120318040906/http://www.interdys.org/54handouts/blake.doctor

DDD

Alisha, I tried the first site and it didn't go through. Is it me?? Wouldn't be surprised! DDD

DDD

Do I live in The Twilight Zone?? Your site popped
up when I tried to access a site on another post.
Geez.....this modern world is stressful! LOL DDD

Sheila

DDD: It's the correct url. It's a lengthy paper and takes a few minutes to download (course I don't have DSL lol).

with-the internet, it is a really small world. lol

shad11_8

whew...long and a little wordy but tons of info.

i liked the reference to ADHD kids and social skills--"they're not clueless, they're cueless".

and on kids having to always be compensating for their deficits and how exhausting that is for them...They make up their own "Software" and novel situations arise making it undependable and then causing anxiety...

thanks --sonja

Elise

Lots of info on AS in this paper. Thanks, Alisha. The following describes my difficult child.

Tantam (2000) wrote, "Most people with AS (Sic - Asperger's Disorder) are anxious most of the time, and their behavior may be motivated by the desire to avoid anxiety" (p. 391).

McAfee (2002) wrote, “as a result of the pervasive nature of their deficits, many individuals with AS/High-Functioning Autism (HFA) (Asperger’s Syndrome/High Functioning Autism – Sic) are under a great deal of stress during most of their waking hours. In light of their struggle to understand even the most elementary social and communication skills, to cope with problems with planning and organizing, and to deal with major difficulties understanding emotions and abstract concepts, it is easy to appreciate why many of these individuals are chronically stressed” (p. XXXIV).
Elise