Depression and addiction

tryingtobestrong

My son is an alcoholic and suffers from depression and anxiety. I believe the depression/anxiety came first due to being bullied in school for being overweight. He has been self medicating for years so I am sure the alcohol has did wonders on his brain.

Currently he is in IOP and on naltrexone. It has only been a week so I know I won't see any changes.
Just wondering if anyone else had an adult child that was successful at getting into recovery and if there personality changed? Did their depression/anxiety lesson?

Praying to get my son back one day. He isolates himself so and that isn't good either. He has no hobbies. I know he is down due to not having a girlfriend and the one he had left due to the alcoholism, etc. If his personality doesn't change, his desire to start doing things, etc. I don't know if he will ever find anyone. He surely is no fun to be around. He is miserable and doesn't give a hoot about anyone.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Welcome;

How old is your son? How long has he been drinking? Does he use any other drugs?

Do you have support for yourself? This is very difficult on moms so it's best that you have support. Does he live with you and is there anyone else in the house?

The more information you can give us the better we can respond.

More will be along shortly. You have come to the right place for advice and comfort.

tryingtobestrong

He is 23 and lives in another state. There is no family near him and he has limited friends. His addictions are booze and weed and it has been going on for about 6 years. He had a dui a few years ago and was on probation so stopping can be done if he wants to. He got off of probation and started back into the booze gradually but it took over. He says how worthless he feels. He realizes his job will be on the line if he continues to drink. He admitted he drank before work all the time. If he has stopped drinking it will be 2 weeks today but not sure if he relapsed or not. I just talked to his IOP counselor and his weed numbers are not coming down so I am not sure if they will keep him in the program since he is not allowed to do any drugs in the program. This weekend he just lost his best friend from home in an accident. He called crying so. That was the one person he reached out to for support all the time. I know that could have been a trigger to use again so I had left his counselor know.
It kills me that he is so far away alone and then isolates himself. No hobbies, no interests

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
As you may have read here and many will tell you, HE is the only person that can fix this. He knows he has your love and support but he has to want to live a different life for himself.

Sometimes there is really nothing more that we can do as parents than to let them know that. I think it's better that he is not living in your home if he is going to lead this type of life.

I hope that you have some support for yourself. I saw a therapist for years that helped me form boundaries for myself and my son. I knew I had to take care of myself because we were going on year 7 of his drug abuse and I was suffering terribly. You need to do whatever you can to help yourself cope and feel better.

I'm sure more will be along to offer their support and advice as well.

:notalone::staystrong: