Detachment Sites?

Janna

Not for me, but for someone else.

She is an older woman, in her late 50's, with a 30 year old daughter at home. Giving her lots and lots of grief, just got put on anxiety medication.

I'd love to help her with detachment. Anyone have any good info/sites I can pass her way?

Thank you!

Janna

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Janna, if she's looking for support she sounds like she'd fit in with the rest of us in the Parent Emeritus Forum.

Most of us who post in there have adult difficult child kids and we certainly talk about detachment a lot.

Suz

Allan-Matlem

Hi,
I once heard a review of a movie where a 3o yo bachelor would not leave home. The parents came up with a brilliant plan -
they became difficult children and the adult kid left home

Allan

Janna

That would be a good idea, Suz, but it's my SO's mother I don't know how comfy I am with her hanging out here.

She has some control type issues. Her 30 something year old son and 30 year old daughter still both live at home. She controls her son's checking account and knows every cent of income and expense. The daughter is apparantley tired of her, being the control freak, and is well, doing inappropriate things outside of the home, hence causing the mother massive anxiety. doctor put her on some anxiety medication, not sure which. Her blood pressure is through the roof too.

I've said a couple of times about detachment to her. I don't know that she wants to detach. I don't think the daughter is a difficult child. I think the mother is just a super control freak that needs to let go.

Janna

crazymama30

I would be practicing detachement myself. One thing I try to remember is you cannot help someone who does not want to help themselves.