Developments

LoveSushi

Like the fledglings are when they leave the nest. But here is the thing. If the mother bird did not push her fledgling to fly, the fledgling's body would grow so heavy, but the muscles in his wings would not have developed. Soon, he will be a flightless bird through no one's fault, really.

But he will be a worthless thing to himself, nonetheless. Birds are meant to fly. How can they respect themselves when the other fledglings fly with strength and grace and beauty and their wings are tiny, useless things?

That is really profound.

Glad to see your post...I've missed you and Jabber. I changed my screen name when your son discovered your posts here. But I've never stopped reading and I really need to update on my daughter and what's been happening. Soon...

AppleCori

Forgot the rest of the story....

The guy that D C was renting the basement from...

D C's boss sometimes didn't pay her employees on time, and once, when D C was late paying the guy the basement rental, the guy called the boss and told her he was gonna kill D C if she didn't pay him tomorrow. I don't know if he was serious, but he did get his pay the next day.

The guy was also an addict, so very possible.

Glad he is away from that situation.

AnonymousMe

their choices are theirs ,not ours. that is the hardest part. To not act from your heart and help, but to let them try their wings even though your gut tells you that,theirs is not a good choice!

I know. I actually do know. I had a bit of an epiphany last night. Kind of silly...but a small epiphany nonetheless.

The neighbors are buying new family room furniture. We were told they are throwing the old out and had asked if he could have it. They were happy to get rid of it. This is a nice, really comfortable, couch and loveseat with a big, matching ottoman. The couch is literally the size of a twin bed, deep, cozy, lounging furniture. I'd have LOVED this stuff when I was single! I had my parent's mismatched cast offs until I was out of law school!

My son, who knows about this furniture, tells me last night his buddy has a "movie couch" or theater couch or something like that, that has a built-in fridge, that he's giving away (because he has no electricity, among other things). I say, "Well, what about the neighbors furniture?" He doesn't know, because there might not be much room after the "fridge-couch". I'm speechless. A fridge-couch? Really? o_O Who the hell would pick a fridge-couch over a matched set of comfortable living room furniture?

My son...and any number of 21 year old boys...who think having a beer-fridge built right into their couch is cool. :cool:

So...my epiphany was...I'm expecting (or at least wanting) him to behave like I would. A 53 year old woman who's been on her own for many, many years. A woman who knows that the practicality of being walking distance from work when you don't own a car is more important than being close to your friends; who understands that roommates can screw you over if they don't pay their share; who would NEVER risk a job with a no-call/no-show.

I never had to "learn the hard way" - I was ALWAYS like that. I would NEVER have let myself be taken advantage of (there's 3 of them, but apparently he's paying 1/2 the bills). I would NEVER have put all the money I had on a lease without something in writing with my new roommates - he has - first month and deposit - all paid by him. I would never always have sacrificed location for convenience. I just KNEW BETTER. And it IS better - this is common sense stuff here.

But he's NOT me. He'll likely never BE me, though I hope some day some common sense filters in. :( But until that day (that I'll likely never live to see), I have to expect him to live like a 21 year old boy.

D C's boss sometimes didn't pay her employees on time, and once, when D C was late paying the guy the basement rental, the guy called the boss and told her he was gonna kill D C if she didn't pay him tomorrow.

:eek: That would do it! Good heavens!

So what I know at this time is the landlord and the roommate's uncle each live next door. The landlord likely won't threaten murder. There's no smoking indoors - so they have a little shed out back that he's making his "smoke shack", really. o_O He expects to split all the bills 50/50 - incredibly unfair since there's two of them and a 2-3 year old, and he's all by himself, works almost full-time, the electric won't be used by him, he never bathes - so the water won't be used by him either. :( There's 2 bedrooms and 1 bath, so it's going to be crowded I guess. AND he'll be dependent on his buddy for rides.

But...it's his choice.

My 53 year old legal mind boggles. :confused:

AnonymousMe

I would never always have sacrificed location for convenience.

Read that "always". :p

Oh...and J is back and causing problems. Apparently his attitude is "You can't keep me out of your place." and "The landlord can't tell me what to do." Try explaining to my son that he CAN and SHOULD tell J to GO AWAY. He actually wants that. He want's J to go away and never come back. But he won't SAY it. I don't know what he thinks J could do about it. No one actually likes J! But even saying, "Just tell A, 'This is your home too. If you don't want J around, say so and I'll have your back.'" is met with a negative. Like he thinks that telling a mooch (everyone agrees) who will eat up your food, dirty your house, make your deposit get forfeited by smoking in the house, and is generally unlikeable, to go away will in some way make HIM a social pariah. o_O

Ironbutterfly

If focused on a single leaf you won't see the tree
I've been wondering how you all are doing. What about son getting a bike for transportation? My son did that for a long time.

Just want to say- I know your worries and you want his life to be "a certain way", for him to become a man and responsible person in society. But alas, it may take time, it may take some failures on his end before he gets there.

If I hadn't let go of my son back in January when the drama and stress about killed me, he wouldn't have made the decision to move out of state, move down south, to where he finally found his own way, a way out of the drama he had been living for 16 years. He was evicted every other month, lived in a dirty basement, shared a room, couched surfed, slept on a porch in winter, slept in a shed, in places unimaginable to us.

I had to let go of my dreams for him- and let him find his own way. If I hadn't let go, he' d be in jail right now because of the people he was living with, hanging around with. He got tired of that life and broke away. I hope this happens to your son. It's not going to be easy- but you do have to let go of him and let him find his way. I kept trying to do it my way to keep him safe, to alieve my worries and fears, but really, I was a co-conspirator in his unhealthy choices.

Kathy813

Staff member
Couldn't he use Uber or Lyft to get back and forth? It wouldn't cost much for a 4 mile ride. My daughter used to to get back and forth to work for months.

~Kathy

AnonymousMe

I have no idea. We have a cab company...but I don't know about anything else. I doubt we have anyone doing uber here. He has a bike if he wants it. He hasn't really taken it before.

He's excited. Going on and on about it. I'm glad he's excited. I hope it works out. He'll be moving next week.

AnonymousMe

And now he's pissed off and already regretting it because "A" hasn't said thank you. I suspect he wasn't asked to spend all this money...he volunteered and is now upset that people aren't grateful. I am so ready for him to not be around to curse and complain and deal with things on his own.

Albatross

It is good to see you posting around here, A-Me.

It sounds like the time is just about right for him to be moving on, but hey...YOU DID IT! You and (former J) gave him a chance, and he took it. He got a job, he money together so he could get a place, and now you can let him get to it.

The pissed off feelings, the roomies not holding up their end, the distance of his commute, etc. are his things. I don't think you need to even concern yourself with them. He will figure it out.

Jabberwockey

It sounds like the time is just about right for him to be moving on, but hey...YOU DID IT! You and (former J) gave him a chance, and he took it. He got a job, he money together so he could get a place, and now you can let him get to it.

The pissed off feelings, the roomies not holding up their end, the distance of his commute, etc. are his things. I don't think you need to even concern yourself with them. He will figure it out.

Yeah, not so much. She's posting as we speak under her original screen name. We've both decided that he either will or wont read this. He either will or wont take it out of context and blow a gasket. Doesnt change the fact that posting on here helps us work through it and we've decided to not let him affect that.

Bratty1

I have been exactly where you are busted Sheetrock and all.

I am listening to you say that you are posting under a different user name to cut down on drama in case he reads the thread. You should stop here and start protecting yourself right now.

I read an article here about "Gaslighting" Had no idea of what it was until I Googled the heck out of it. If you haven't looked into this phrase Google it.

My son was so manipulative in his Gaslighting that I was avoiding certain areas of my own home just to prevent drama. Enough of this and I ran screaming from the room and right into the office of a good therapist.

Once I was able to work on me with a little help from Zoloft, I began to see the situation more clearly and as a result finally worked up the nerve to become involved in this wonderful community.

Lil

I am listening to you say that you are posting under a different user name to cut down on drama in case he reads the thread

Yeah...I quit caring about that when he decided he was going to the land of legal weed.

For newer posts - see my "it all falls apart" thread.

To heck with anonymous. He can read if he wants. I'm ticked off.